8 of the Greatest RPG Franchises of All Time

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 of the Greatest RPG Franchises of All Time

There are countless RPG franchises out there, but these eight are some of the best of all time.

Read Full Article

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
I'd hardly call the Mass Effect a good "RPG" franchise considering only the first one was an actual RPG. The latter 2 games placed very little emphasis on your character's abilities and their progression and were more or less just third-person shooters with some "RPG mechanics". The recent Fallout and Elder Scrolls games suffer from a similar lack of focus on RPG concentions, but at least Mass Effect 2 and 3 had decent shooting mechanics to make up for this loss of focus. The systems in the TES and Fallout just became shallower without introducing mechanics to make up for the what was lost.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
yeah sorry the elder scrolls should be 3rd with pokemon and FF at 1 and 2. the reason being no game can be called good if it takes a year to fix all the problems.........(unless its an mmo because you know its a mmo)

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
So, no Wizardry or Might&Magic? But Ass Effect and Pokeballs are in? Seriously? What next? No Doom on best FPS list? No Dune 2 on best RTS list?

TorchofThanatos

Dec 6, 2010
Rastrelly said:
So, no Wizardry or Might&Magic? But Ass Effect and Pokeballs are in? Seriously? What next? No Doom on best FPS list? No Dune 2 on best RTS list?
What is Wizardry? I haven't heard of it.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'd replace those screenshots for Final Fantasy and Ultima if I were you.

Great list overall, it's a shame it can't go beyond 8, because Wizardry and Shin Megami Tensei (including Persona) definitely deserves to be on that list.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
I'd replace Pokemon with Wizardry and FF with Might and Magic. JRPGs are really a different genre altogether and shouldn't be mixed with real RPGs.
Rad Party God said:
I'd replace those screenshots for Final Fantasy and Ultima if I were you.

Great list overall, it's a shame it can't go beyond 8, because Wizardry and Shin Megami Tensei (including Persona) definitely deserves to be on that list.
Yeah, Ultima 9 was a textbook case of a franchise killer.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
ShakerSilver said:
The systems in the TES and Fallout just became shallower without introducing mechanics to make up for the what was lost.
Well that's not true. Oblivion introduced perks, lockpicking, spell tomes (in DLC) and conversation wheel (and I know what you are going to say, but no, the wheel still does count as a mechanic) and Skyrim introduced proper crafting and companions. The combat also got improved. Also the dungeons got progressively more trap-happy, compared to Morrowind which, to my memory, was pretty much trapless, save for doors and chests.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
RealRT said:
I'll say that quite a few of those features you've mentioned like the conversation wheel and lockpicking were actually decent mechanics that didn't really take away from the role-playing aspect of the game (which is why it was a shame that Skyrim removed the wheel and only implemented a small set of specific options for persuasion, usually related to quests), but while some of the others may be nice (like tomes and crafting), they don't really add much to the role-playing aspect of the game and just seem like little extras.

That's also saying nothing about poor implementations of other mechanics like the completely broken level-scalling in Oblivion and the very linear dungeon design in Skyrim. This is not to say that TES games before Oblivion are without flaws or poor design choices, but I found their design held up better than Oblivion and Skyrim in-spite of those flaws.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
1) God, I loved Mass Effect. The series was so great. I loved the characters, but sadly the first thing that pops into my mind now when I think of it was that ending. "Tainted" doesn't begin to cover it for me. I just pretend that The Citadel DLC is the ending of the game now, taking place after Shepard and her company take down the Reapers.

3) Loved KOTOR and loved KOTOR even more--until I got the end and the game just...died. Yes, I know about the cut content and the rush job, but still, it stings. I'm surprised that these two games have never had a re-release, to be honest. Because I'd buy them both straight away.

6) I'm one of those fans. For a long time, I bought Final Fantasy games without a second thought. And I loved them. Then I bought XII, and was so underwhelmed that I can't even remember the plotline for it. XIII was a step back in the right direction, and XIII-2 even more so, but they still pale in comparison to the old games. And for the first time even, I have absolutely zero interest in the next game. I saw nothing in the demo or the trailers for XIV that makes me want to play it. I really wish Square could capture that magic again.

8) Skyrim. The only Elder Scrolls game I've ever played. And I freaking loved it. Can't wait until they come out with the next game. I am a fan now for sure.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I loved Mass Effect 1 and 2 but 'Greatest RPG Franchises of all time'? No. The RPG elements are paper thin and it's more of an action-adventure with an RPG style party system.

Kotor is a strange choice. As an individual RPG, Kotor 1 is an all round champion of the genre. As a franchise there are just too many issues with Kotor 2 and TOR to give it a lasting pleasant memory in my mind.

If I were doing this list, it would go: Baldur's Gate, Final Fantasy, Ultima, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, The Witcher, Diablo and Dark Souls.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
ShakerSilver said:
RealRT said:
I'll say that quite a few of those features you've mentioned like the conversation wheel and lockpicking were actually decent mechanics that didn't really take away from the role-playing aspect of the game (which is why it was a shame that Skyrim removed the wheel and only implemented a small set of specific options for persuasion, usually related to quests), but while some of the others may be nice (like tomes and crafting), they don't really add much to the role-playing aspect of the game and just seem like little extras.

That's also saying nothing about poor implementations of other mechanics like the completely broken level-scalling in Oblivion and the very linear dungeon design in Skyrim. This is not to say that TES games before Oblivion are without flaws or poor design choices, but I found their design held up better than Oblivion and Skyrim in-spite of those flaws.
This is very subjective. I'll take Oblivion's combat, well-organized journal and good map before Morrowind's any day of the week.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
Paper Mario. Tales. That's all.

I've actually never played most of these, except for Pokemon and Mass Effect 1 & 2 (which mostly left me unimpressed tbh).

Perhaps I'm just a philistine when it comes to RPGs. :p

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
No Witcher, no Deus Ex, huh? I suppose 8 isn't a big enough number to cover all the great franchises.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Fulbert said:
No Witcher, no Deus Ex, huh? I suppose 8 isn't a big enough number to cover all the great franchises.
It's always hard to make the cuts to get down to eight.

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
Eh, I'm kind of surprised why KotOR was in. First one was amazing, second only good but it's hardly a franchise anyway. The Gothic series would definitely be included if the 3rd wasn't such a trainwreck.

Then again, this list is solid by itself in the sense that there aren't many of them that can be considered good franchises in a broad sense, SMT and Tales are well niche-y in comparison