Fallout 4's Companion App is Out Now on Android

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Fallout 4's Companion App is Out Now on Android

The app simulates Fallout 4's in-game Pip-Boy interface.

Ahead of Pip-Boy edition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/fallout%204?os=%20fallout%204] essentially allows players to strap a real-world, functional, replica Pip-Boy to their wrists.

As such, while you can of course download it now... it doesn't really do much without the actual Fallout 4 game. It is possible to run the app in "demo mode", which allows you to glimpse the kind of features it offers, as well as play the first of several collectible "holotape games" - Atomic Command.

[gallery=4994]

No mentioned was made of when the app will hit iOS, but we can probably assume it will be ahead of, or at the same time as, the game's release.

So there you go, Fallout fanatics. You can now download the Pip-Boy for your phone, and stare at the in-game map, wishing that you had the actual game.

Source: Google Play [https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bethsoft.falloutcompanionapp&hl=en]

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I've been wondering how useful this might be. I'm leaning toward "gimmick" at the moment. Unless FO4 changes the formula and does not pause when you look at the pip-boy, then I don't see any real advantage.

But the wording in the article when I read "companion app..." I can see how if you take that more directly, such an app would be VERY useful.

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
Kyrian007 said:
I've been wondering how useful this might be. I'm leaning toward "gimmick" at the moment. Unless FO4 changes the formula and does not pause when you look at the pip-boy, then I don't see any real advantage.

But the wording in the article when I read "companion app..." I can see how if you take that more directly, such an app would be VERY useful.
That could be an interesting (And optional) feature for certain. I've already played three rounds of Atomic command. Not too sure how much use I'll get out of it since I don't have the pip boy rig, but I've got electrical tape and patience, so I'm sure I can find a way to adhere it to my arm. Just wonder if my phone battery will last as long as my expected gameplay sessions.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Kyrian007 said:

I don't understand how you can be leaning towards it being a gimmick when the app is primarily being sold off the back of an accompanying piece of plastic merchandise. It's a gimmick, full stop. There is no advantage to stopping the game to look at your phone when you can just press tab on your keyboard and do it instantly, especially not since your phone is more subject to lag and is constantly discharging whilst the app is active.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Kyrian007 said:

I don't understand how you can be leaning towards it being a gimmick when the app is primarily being sold off the back of an accompanying piece of plastic merchandise. It's a gimmick, full stop. There is no advantage to stopping the game to look at your phone when you can just press tab on your keyboard and do it instantly, especially not since your phone is more subject to lag and is constantly discharging whilst the app is active.
Unless (of course like I mentioned already) the game does not pause when you look at the pip-boy. After all, vats no longer pauses the action. Admittedly I doubt they went that far with a change to popularize the app. And it's possible the app has features that are more than just window dressing that the pause menu won't have. AS I SAID I'm just leaning towards "it won't." That does not mean "It can't."

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
You can now download the Pip-Boy for your phone, and stare at the in-game map, wishing that you had the actual game.
Dude, I have been wishing for the game since I pre-ordered it.

OT; I wonder what use it will have ingame though. Might be more of a hindrance than help, if you have to take your hands off the controls in order to use stuff in your inventory.

Mar 30, 2010
008Zulu said:
Steven Bogos said:
You can now download the Pip-Boy for your phone, and stare at the in-game map, wishing that you had the actual game.
Dude, I have been wishing for the game since I pre-ordered it.

OT; I wonder what use it will have ingame though. Might be more of a hindrance than help, if you have to take your hands off the controls in order to use stuff in your inventory.
It's total guesswork on my part at this stage but this sounds like the iFruit app for GTAV/GTA:O. It'll unlock cool little customization options, allow you to stack build/mod queues while offline and offer little minigames that, if completed, upgrade in-game effects (such as training iFruit app Chop so that GTAV Chop will sniff out hidden items). If this is the case and it is a similar companion to the iFruit app it'll be more a tool for using offline to queue in-game effects for when you next log in rather than an app you use simultaneously to actual gameplay. 'Course, this is based on absolutely nothing what-so-ever, but only five days to wait to find out!

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
If Fallout 4 is anything like 3, and I see no reason to think otherwise, I can see myself doing one playthrough (much later down the line) where I try to just use the app (and my Pip-Boy edition clamped to my arm) for my in-game inventory and such as a way to enhance the "immersion" effect.

That'll be like, a fourth or fifth playthrough though.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
It's a gimmick, seriously. The requirements for the game say nowhere that you are required to own a smart phone with the free app installed. What company would release a brand new game that you pay full whack for but then requires you to download and run the free smart phone app to get the full use of the game?

Besides if Bethesda was stupid enough to have content on the App that is required to gain maximum use of the game then how long before the modding community adds those features back in to the game. I am not saying I won;t use the App but if the option between using the game menu or an app to do a task or mod the features back in to the game or use the app is there then I am going to use the in game features each and every time.