Sony: Shooter Fans Prefer PS4

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Sony: Shooter Fans Prefer PS4

Sony representatives have claimed that the PS4 is the current generation's king when it comes to first person shooters.

Back when the PS3 and Xbox 360 were duking it out (while the Wii destroyed them both), one of the trends that remained fairly consistent during their competition was that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/first%20person%20shooters?os=first+person+shooters>first-person shooter fans tended to gravitate more toward the Xbox. There were several reasons for this; the Xbox 360's earlier launch, the superiority of Xbox Live. It's not like the PS3 didn't have an FPS audience, but it wasn't as strong and the console overall suffered for it. If statements from Sony can be believed however, it's a problem the PS3's successor, the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/ps4>PS4, isn't encountering.

Speaking recently about the subject, PlayStation group marketing manager Lauren Bradley asserted that many fans of console first-person shooters have migrated from their previous homes on the Xbox 360 to the PlayStation 4. "This generation, the shooter audience is tending to switch over to PS4," she said. While some might find her claim to be somewhat suspect just based on the fact that Bradley works for Sony, there's reason to believe that she's right. After all, it's no secret that the PS4's sales, since its launch, have consistently outstripped the Xbox One's. Moreover, Sony has made some <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135183-Updated-PS4-Will-Get-First-Access-to-Destiny-Beta-With-Alpha-Entry-This-Week>impressive partnerships with third-party publishers aimed of painting their games as PlayStation products. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142890-PlayStations-Star-Wars-Battlefront-is-Insanely-Nostalgic>Recent advertisements for the soon-to-release Star Wars: Battlefront, for instance, featured PlayStation logos at their end. "We've got high expectations for Star Wars: Battlefront around both launch and into next year," said Bradley.

Now it's worth noting that Bradley doesn't really cite much in the way of hard evidence in her statements. There's no "our data indicates" mixed in there. That said, for any Sony official to make a claim this strong, you'd have to imagine they'd have something tangible to let them talk that confidently. What has your experience been and what console do you play your FPS titles on? Did you play on the Xbox 360 just to jump ship when the PS4 landed? Or have stuck to your (virtual) guns and remained with one company across the generations?

Source: <a href=http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/shooter-audience-switching-to-playstation-4-says-sony/0158590>MCV

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I like the dual shock 4, but the Xbone controller is way better for shooters imo. If I had both and I had to pick which console to buy an FPS on I would probably go Xbone. Though, I don't play shooter's anymore anyway :p

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I can imagine the guys at Sony celebrating.

Springtime for Sony and PS4,
Winter for Xbox and Wii,
Don't be stupid, be a smarty, come and join the Sony party!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
By that I assume they mean call of duty fans, because they have the dlc early and what have you. FPS's have been less saturated, this generation it's all about 3rd person open world action adventure and bleeding the life from that instead.

Also FPS fans play on PC.

Becuase you can aim for toffee without an aimbot.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Sony employ people that speak?? That's news to me. Pity they speak a whole load of tripe, but baby steps, right?

Mar 26, 2008
Sorry, but as much as the PS4 control is a LOT better than it's PS3 counterpart, the Xbox One controller is still superior. That's why I prefer shooters on the Bone.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fappy said:
I like the dual shock 4, but the Xbone controller is way better for shooters imo. If I had both and I had to pick which console to buy an FPS on I would probably go Xbone. Though, I don't play shooter's anymore anyway :p
I'd rather be playing with an Xbone controller, but I'm not going to buy one. I generally prefer the Xbox controllers to the Sony ones.

I mostly play shooters with friends, though, and they've all got PS4s. So no chance of this being an issue for me.

MC1980 said:
Fans of everything that isn't an exclusive prefer PS4.
And given the sales disparity between the consoles this gen, it would seem like this would be a given.

...of course, last gen the Wii had the worst software attach rate, so sales figures alone don't mean anything, but I'd still be more inclined to buy the PS4 doing better overall.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I still only play FPS on PC. I can't aim for shit with a controller lol.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The one that plays games at higher resolution and frame rates is more popular with the fans of games dependent on sharp reactions and sharp eyes?

Well colour me shocked!

Johnny Novgorod said:
I can imagine the guys at Sony celebrating.
Sooo.... are Sony Jewish fraudsters or campy Nazis?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Something Amyss said:
-Spoiler-
I'm primarily a PC gamer these days but I do have a Wii U and a PS4. A lot of my friends are on Xbones though, so I may get one around the time ME: Andromeda comes out (assuming the multiplayer is good).

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
No, no, no, no, no. Shooter fans play on PC. Console gamers without a PC to play shooters on aren't shooter fans. They're console gamers that happen to enjoy playing shooters on their console of choice. And their console of choice happens to sell better than the Xbone. If they were shooter fans they'd get a PC. Let's not forget what the word fan actually means. Stop using it to describe everybody who happens to enjoy something.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fappy said:
Something Amyss said:
-Spoiler-
I'm primarily a PC gamer these days but I do have a Wii U and a PS4. A lot of my friends are on Xbones though, so I may get one around the time ME: Andromeda comes out (assuming the multiplayer is good).
A good chunk of my gaming comes down to playing with friends, so I'm stuck with whatever platform they want. I'm just glad it's not Wii U.

<.<

I tend to buy solo games for my PC, unless I get them free on PS or GWG, in which case the price tag beats preference. Or, rather, the fact that I'm already paying for the services beats preference.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
No, no, no, no, no. Shooter fans play on PC. Console gamers without a PC to play shooters on aren't shooter fans. They're console gamers that happen to enjoy playing shooters on their console of choice. And their console of choice happens to sell better than the Xbone. If they were shooter fans they'd get a PC. Let's not forget what the word fan actually means. Stop using it to describe everybody who happens to enjoy something.
No can do Jensen. We can't make words that aren't all inclusive. We can't hurt someone feelings so fan means everyone that is in any way related to it. You asked for this Jensen.

Jokes aside, I agree. I don't see anyone who plays FPS games on a console exclusively as an real shooter fan. FPS games are a crippled unrecognizable mess on consoles compared to PC. Much worse controls, leading to much worse gameplay. Since I was enjoying Titanfall for a while now, I was looking at some gameplay videos on Youtube. The Xbox version and PC version are 2 completely different games gameplay-vise. The PC version, on higher skill level is fast, ridiculously fast and precise. The console version seems just so much slower and less action packed.

And then you have games like Quake and Tribes that are pretty much impossible on consoles.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Not with a Dual Shock it's not. The triggers are fine for many types of games (much better than any previous PlayStation controller), but not so much shooters because they're quite sensitive.

Of this generation the controllers for shooters go Xbox One > PS4 > Wii U as far as I'm concerned. The PS4 is largely benefiting from being the console to go to for third party titles regardless of genre.

Adam3s

Jul 17, 2014
Adam Jensen said:
I'm not one to normally critique a person's post but jeez this is some elitist BS. This is like saying someone can't be a movie fan if they don't have a 4K TV. Platform doesn't dictate if someone is a fan of a genre or not, if a person plays games and dedicates a substantial amount of gaming time to shooters...I believe that's a decent enough criteria for someone to be considered a shooter fan. Fan means fanatic, which is pretty subjective...I'd say it's one of those thing which people can choose to label themselves.

Shame, as I agree that PC is the best way and is my preferred way to play shooters too.

Out of the consoles though...Titanfall and Halo 5 are both great shooters unavailable on PS4, can't think of any great shooters available on PS4 that the Xbox is missing.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I just don't give a damn about fps games. Last one I played was team fortress 2 back when it was brand new like 8 years ago.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
I... let me put it this way. Without some form of aim assist about 90% of players wouldn't be able to use console controllers for FPS in a meaningful way.

With that said the aim assist can be too highly tuned to the point where you don't really need to aim well COD:BLOPS2. I got bored of playing it because you had to aim in a general direction, kick in the aim assist by using the scope, then fire... With that said I was recently at a Starwars Battlefront trial. We watched as almost every player struggled to aim at anything without aim assist using Xbox1 controllers.

The thing is they weren't bad players, they used their utility kit very well, they just couldn't aim using the console controller.

But the worst by far was forcing motion controls into a first person game Nintendo! It was like using an xbox controller with chopsticks. Holy hell that crap is unusable.

Anyway in terms of fps I'd say Xbox/PS3 would be pretty equal in terms of popularity and ease of access, PC more for elitists because you have more control over your controls :p. The WTF award goes to Nintendo, please stop, PLEASE STOP!!!

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
That is literally only because you got the early rights for Call of Duty DLC and content, not anything else, so hardcore CoD fans were forced to go there and they're the single largest fanbase for FPS.

The Playstation controller has always been 100% pure shit for reflex games like shooters and fighting games - the Nintendo and Xbox offerings have always been better. Especially since the sticks are worse quality and the control scheme makes no sense and can't be changed where it matters - why the hell are the bumpers shoot and the triggers actions Sony? WHY?!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Well, the games run better on the PS4, sure, but the controller is still a pile of butts. Can't stand that bloody thing.