Overwatch Launches in Spring, 2016 for PC, PS4 And Xbox One

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Overwatch Launches in Spring, 2016 for PC, PS4 And Xbox One

Another leaked battle.net banner confirms that Overwatch will be a multi-platform title.

Oh dear. It looks like Blizzard has (accidentally?) jumped the gun on BlizzCon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161331-World-of-Warcraft-Legion-Releases-On-or-Before-September-2016] over the weekend. This time it has been revealed that Overwatch, Blizzard's TF2-meets-DoTA shooter, will release "on or before June 21, 2016", and what's more, it will be a multiplatform title, releasing simultaneously on PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

Additionally, Game UK [http://www.game.co.uk/en/m/overwatch-318723?pageSize=40&errorViewName=mProductDisplayErrorView&searchTerm=Overwatch&top_category=] also jumped the gun on putting up the product page for the Overwatch Origins Edition, revealing a bit more about what will come in the box. It will come with 21 heroes and 5 skins, as well as the following cross-game content:

Heroes of the Storm - Tracer Hero
World of Warcraft - Baby Winston Pet
StarCraft II Portraits
Hearthstone Cardback
Diablo III - Mercy Wings

So what can we take from this? Well, it doesn't entirely rule out the game being free-to-play, as the Origins Edition only mentions 21 heroes, suggesting that more heroes will be added later in the game's life, and that they will not be included for free. We could be looking at a kind of "Founder's Pack" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139545-Heroes-of-The-Storm-Allows-Fans-to-Buy-Beta-Access]-type deal, where paying some cash up-front gives you access to a whole bunch of heroes.

We've also learned that the game will feature League of Legends-style cosmetic skins, which further supports the free-to-play theory.

We should be able to clarify all of these things when BlizzCon kicks off this weekend.

Source: Overpwn [http://www.overpwn.com/news/93-overwatch-origins-edition-launching-spring-2016-40]

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
I didn't know this was on consoles, I thought it was PC exclusive, sigh and now I have keep myself for getting hyped.

WarpedMind

Nov 8, 2014
Seeing where WoW has gone in the last 4-5 years I would not at all be surprised if it was a full-price boxed release and still had a bunch of fee-to-pay horseshit crammed in.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
I've been pretty amped for Overwatch for a while; I hope it turns out to be as good as I, well, hope. Having said that, the thing that caught my eye in the article was: "Heroes of the Storm - Tracer Hero"

Overwatch heroes coming to HotS?! Holy-Hell yes :D

I want Tracer, Reaper, and Reinhardt ASAP <3

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Yeah, this doesn't put me off. Overwatch looks really fun, and even if this is a full priced game, I would probably still end up getting it. That being said, though, it will probably still just be a Free to play game, and this is just the "throw some money at us, and we will give you a whole bunch of shit in return".

Also, Tracer in Heroes of the Storm? Count me in.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It looks absolutely beautiful. But for a full priced multiplayer only title I expect dedicated servers. I'm not paying $60 for matchmaking when I can play TF2 for free. I don't doubt that this will be a success. There's never a shortage of Blizzard fanboys.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
It looks absolutely beautiful. But for a full priced multiplayer only title I expect dedicated servers. I'm not paying $60 for matchmaking when I can play TF2 for free. I don't doubt that this will be a success. There's never a shortage of Blizzard fanboys.
Good thing you're not paying 60 for it!

This box is 40 dollars.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
shintakie10 said:
Adam Jensen said:
Good thing you're not paying 60 for it!

This box is 40 dollars.
I'm not paying $40 either unless they win me over with some amazing announcement in the meantime.