Diablo 3 Patch 2.4 BlizzCon Reveal - The Biggest Patch Since RoS

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Oh neat. Haven't played since around season 2 started. Maybe I'll finally get a witch doc to 70 for once. It's the only one I haven't maxed yet.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Wow, haha. At first glance i thought the news was about Fallout 4 because i hadn't looked at the headline and that dude in the picture looks a bit like he's in powerarmor. hehe.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Rhykker said:
Lastly, the massacre XP bonus from the console version of the game - the incrementing bonus you get for killing hordes of monsters in short order - is coming to PC.
I don't get it. That's been in the game from the start.

Other than that, generally sounds good. Diablo 3 attracts a lot of whining, but this is why I like Blizzard. How many other companies continue to release large amounts of content for their games years after they were released? New items, new monsters, new quests, and more; anyone else would be charging £20+ for half of this.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Good on Blizzard for releasing all of this stuff as patches, as Kahani said, most devs would charge hand over fist for all this content, micropayments for the new gear, a small package for the set dungeon and a DLC pack for the new areas.
Blizz's Diablo series is one of the few that lets this sort of thing happen (small continuous updates of random content) because of the playstyle but it's so nice to see them gifting it to customers.

Also, does that cosmetic wings thing mean on my character? Do we get angel wings for doing all the set dungeons?

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
These last two patches have been real good. Too good. Like, "Here's some content we were going to put in the next expansion before we canned it" good.

:(

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Kahani said:
Rhykker said:
Lastly, the massacre XP bonus from the console version of the game - the incrementing bonus you get for killing hordes of monsters in short order - is coming to PC.
I don't get it. That's been in the game from the start.

Other than that, generally sounds good. Diablo 3 attracts a lot of whining, but this is why I like Blizzard. How many other companies continue to release large amounts of content for their games years after they were released? New items, new monsters, new quests, and more; anyone else would be charging £20+ for half of this.
The console massacre is different. The PC version, with how it currently works, gives you a flat bonus based on your level and enemies killed. The console version, as I understand it, multiplies the XP you get actually get from the enemies you kill. The current PC version bonus is so minuscule that it might as well not exist. It's basically just there as a high score mechanic, and not an actual benefit to the player.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Denamic said:
The console massacre is different. The PC version, with how it currently works, gives you a flat bonus based on your level and enemies killed. The console version, as I understand it, multiplies the XP you get actually get from the enemies you kill. The current PC version bonus is so minuscule that it might as well not exist. It's basically just there as a high score mechanic, and not an actual benefit to the player.
Thanks, that makes sense. Any idea if they'll be doing the same with the other similar bonuses for killing lots in one hit and destroying lots of junk (presumably not for the latter, since it doesn't have an XP value to multiply in the first place)? It also seemed a bit weird that the bonuses were so tiny, but given that XP is almost entirely meaningless anyway it never really seemed a big deal - even now they've introduced paragon levels, the benefits are so small compared to gear that it's nothing more than a high score mechanic anyway.

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Diablo 3 Patch 2.4 BlizzCon Reveal - The Biggest Patch Since RoS

Today at BlizzCon 2015, Blizzard revealed what content Diablo 3 players can look forward to in patch 2.4, which is slated to be the biggest patch since Reaper of Souls.

Read Full Article

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Kahani said:
Thanks, that makes sense. Any idea if they'll be doing the same with the other similar bonuses for killing lots in one hit and destroying lots of junk (presumably not for the latter, since it doesn't have an XP value to multiply in the first place)? It also seemed a bit weird that the bonuses were so tiny, but given that XP is almost entirely meaningless anyway it never really seemed a big deal - even now they've introduced paragon levels, the benefits are so small compared to gear that it's nothing more than a high score mechanic anyway.
Until you get stupidly high in the Paragons (like, 800+), at which point you can boost your main stat every level forever; +5 main for 131 levels = 655 is enough to outdo the stat boost from even an Ancient ring, freeing up the slot for +elemental damage or something. +5 for 169 levels = 845 is greater than three maxed out mainstat gems in the chest plate, so you can swap them for diamonds for the all res boost instead. Etc.

There's players out there on Paragons in excess of 1600. That's 4000 mainstat just in Paragon levels alone.

(Also, they'd better do something sensible with this massacre bonus thing, otherwise The Cursed Peat - virtually a guaranteed 250+ massacre for a decently geared player - is going to be ripe for all sorts of abuses.)