28 Incarcerated Women Allege That Guards Allowed Male Inmates to Rape Them for $1000

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Twenty-eight incarcerated women have sued Clark County, Indiana, officials, alleging that they gave two male inmates the keys to the women’s cells in exchange for a $1,000 bribe. The News and Tribune reports that group of male detainees then allegedly used those keys to rape, harass and abuse the women on October 23, 2021, in what the women’s attorneys describe as a “night of terror.”

This month, eight more women joined the initial lawsuit that was filed by 20 women in June against Clark County corrections officer David J. Lowe, Sheriff Jamey Noel, and other “unknown” jail officers. The incarcerated men, “who covered their faces so they could not be identified, were yelling and threatening to harm the women if they called for help or pressed the emergency call button,” according to the lawsuit, which alleges that at least two women were raped that night.

“Women were harassed, sexually assaulted, threatened and completely terrified,” attorney Bart Betteau told WTHR. “When I met with each and every one of these women, and they broke down repeatedly, you get the impression, the understanding of what these women went through.”

Jail officials then retaliated against the women for speaking up by leaving the lights on for three straight days, “denying them normal privileges and confiscating pillows, blankets and hygiene items,” according to the lawsuit.

Lowe, 29, was arrested in October immediately after the incident happened after admitting to taking the bribe:

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The whole damn prison system needs an overhaul. It's like we designed these prisons like third-world countries design their prisons.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The whole damn prison system needs an overhaul. It's like we designed these prisons like third-world countries design their prisons.
Prisons reflect the society that creates them.

It seems to me the USA culturally heavily emphasises the punitive nature of justice, that crime is an abhorrent personal failing that deserves the infliction of suffering for the satisfaction of the victims and society. It can be no surprise that a system revolving so heavily around disgust, contempt and hatred of criminals breeds maltreatment of prisoners.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009

It seems to me the USA culturally heavily emphasises the punitive nature of justice, that crime is an abhorrent personal failing that deserves the infliction of suffering for the satisfaction of the victims and society. It can be no surprise that a system revolving so heavily around disgust, contempt and hatred of criminals breeds maltreatment of prisoners.
The ones who get caught you mean. The US seems to glorify and celebrate criminals before that moment. At some point the US dream twisted into "Get yours, fuck everyone else"

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The ones who get caught you mean. The US seems to glorify and celebrate criminals before that moment. At some point the US dream twisted into "Get yours, fuck everyone else"
Technically, of course, one only becomes a criminal when one is caught and successfully prosecuted.

I might argue that there can be careful selection of who is regarded as a criminal, up to and including permitting a certain level of corruption and ineffectiveness in the justice system to ensure that the wrong people are not prosecuted successfully. I'd also note that the USA is far from unusual in that.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

You forgot a critique of the economic situation, which feeds into and is caused contempt, hatred and disgust

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
You forgot a critique of the economic situation, which feeds into and is caused contempt, hatred and disgust
I deliberately ignored it, because the point of such people is that they put far less stock in social and economic factors as a driver of crime.

This is I think an aspect of individualism, which underweighs social impacts on the development of people in society. To accept that poverty and related social problems cause crime strongly implies societal intervention in poverty and social breakdown. That's the territory of disgusting collectivism which will be paid for by stealing the earnings of honest, hard-working citizens through taxation. By shifting the terms of the debate onto personal morality, it becomes infinitely easier to condemn. Of course, that also applies poverty too, because that also is ascribed to the personal failings of individuals rather than systemic social issues, where fixing social issues is instead viewed as wasting money on lazy, feckless, immoral bums.

On the other hand, blowing huge sums of tax money on police and justice is a lot more palatable, both for the satisfaction that bad people are getting caught and punished, and because it's seen as protection of citizens rather than rewarding useless poor people for being useless.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I deliberately ignored it, because the point of such people is that they put far less stock in social and economic factors as a driver of crime.

This is I think an aspect of individualism, which underweighs social impacts on the development of people in society. To accept that poverty and related social problems cause crime strongly implies societal intervention in poverty and social breakdown. That's the territory of disgusting collectivism which will be paid for by stealing the earnings of honest, hard-working citizens through taxation. By shifting the terms of the debate onto personal morality, it becomes infinitely easier to condemn. Of course, that also applies poverty too, because that also is ascribed to the personal failings of individuals rather than systemic social issues, where fixing social issues is instead viewed as wasting money on lazy, feckless, immoral bums.

On the other hand, blowing huge sums of tax money on police and justice is a lot more palatable, both for the satisfaction that bad people are getting caught and punished, and because it's seen as protection of citizens rather than rewarding useless poor people for being useless.
It's even more profitable if you don't even have to protect people