TellTale Confirms Game of Thrones Season 2

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
TellTale Confirms Game of Thrones Season 2

TellTale has confirmed that its episodic Game of Thrones series will indeed have a second season.

Those of you saddened by the recent release of Game of Thrones [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161139-Telltales-Game-of-Thrones-Will-Receive-Final-Episode-Next-Month] episodic adventure game series will be happy to know that yes, there will be a second season.

"When we initially announced the series in 2013, we let everyone know this would be a multi-title, multiyear partnership with HBO," TellTale CEO Kevin Bruner told The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-telltale-season-2-842311]. "After this week's finale, I'm pleased to officially confirm that there will be a second season of Telltale's Game of Thrones series and that it's currently in development."

As for how far along development on the second series is? Burner was a bit coy on that one, stating simply that "while we cannot say exactly how far along season two is right now, we can say that there's never a shortage of sticky notes on the walls around the studio."

The full interview with Burner over at The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-telltale-season-2-842311] talks a lot about the future story plans of the game, as well as explaining a lot of TellTale's choices for the ending of the first season. Be warned that it does contain some very heavy spoilers for those of you yet to finish!

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-telltale-season-2-842311]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Another game where choices don't matter? They could release the gameplay as a movie and it would be just the same.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
I still need to go back and finish Ep 4, 5 and 6. Going to have to wait at least until I finish my first Fallout 4 play through thought.

Even if this was the best Telltale ever I think the sales will take a big hit the second time around, a lot of people were real angry Ep 5 and 6 took almost a year to come out.

Didn't bother me too much, but every time I went on to the steam forum to check for Ep release over the year there were 4 or 5 angry threads on the first page.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Dear Telltale,

When you release another season of House Forrester's stabby Mcfun Land, I have a few suggestions. One, make the goddamn choices matter. Two, make a non-buggy episode at release. Three, don't delay the final episode for a long time.

Sincerely
Everyone.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Random Argument Man said:
Dear Telltale,

When you release another season of House Forrester's stabby Mcfun Land, I have a few suggestions. One, make the goddamn choices matter. Two, make a non-buggy episode at release. Three, don't delay the final episode for a long time.

Sincerely
Everyone.
One and two are so damn true. The amount of times I would see some random guard during a fight scene just glitch out all over the place and then disappear was ridiculous. And as for the choices? Seriously? Fuck off.

Spoilers ahead, all ye be warned.
If you kill Gryff first time around, like I did, when you reach the ending cutscene it says you sacrificed your chance at a victory to save Ryon. But NOPE, if you kill Ludd instead Ryon still gets rescued and you still lose the battle. WTF? Not to mention the fact that Mira's storyline looked to be cool but literally nothing you do matter, you could have just told everyone to fuck off and it would have been the same result as actually working for an alliance with one of the big 4. The only honestly different and cool part was Gared, because his choices actually SEEM to matter. But then the game ends before we can see what happens after. Hell, we have no clue as to what the North Grove even fucking does, apart from "Has Ironwood" and "Two Bastards with Magic".

The game was doing really well with having your choices actually affect the future all the way up to the ending, where every single ending is identical, with just a few swapped out characters and whether Mira has a head or not. Goddamnit Telltale.

Stabby McFun Land indeed.

Jeremy Dawkins

Oct 17, 2011
After the cliffhanger ending and all the crap the Forresters went through to have barely any good happen to them, I don't care about season two. I'm with Jim (Sterling) on saying i'm completely uninterested in season 2 and the last episode of the 1st sucked.

littlebunnyfuufuu

Oct 21, 2015
I dont care.

I hate it when I complete a game, only for it to not finish its story and continue in another game (looking at you starcraft 2, halo 5, and now season two of telltales got.)

I predict that this will become worse, as people get tired of seeing the same releases every year, the game companies will start Blatently Sequel baiting, and cutting out story in order to keep sales going.

Although the Resident Evil games they tried to sell us piece meal bombed Horribly this year, so that will halt it somewhat.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Jeremy Dawkins said:
After the cliffhanger ending and all the crap the Forresters went through to have barely any good happen to them, I don't care about season two. I'm with Jim (Sterling) on saying i'm completely uninterested in season 2 and the last episode of the 1st sucked.
And yet I still look forward to it more than the show's sixth season.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Jeremy Dawkins said:
Funnily enough I DO still care about season 2. But that last episode was absolutely disgusting. They basically resolved nothing other than to make one entire storyline practically totally irrelevant.

Seriously annoyed about that.

littlebunnyfuufuu said:
I hate it when I complete a game, only for it to not finish its story and continue in another game (looking at you starcraft 2, halo 5, and now season two of telltales got.)
Which SC2 are you referring to? They explicitly laid it out before Wings of Liberty came out that the game would be in three arcs, much like the old games, but with significantly longer campaigns than the old ones and broken up into three separate releases. Everyone going in should have been aware of this.

Unless you mean Legacy of the Void didn't conclude properly. In which case shhh...I've not finished it myself yet. >_>

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Whatever. I don't get this obsession with "choices matter" games, where it always boils down to a cutscene playing slightly differently.

Halla Burrica

May 18, 2014
Good, because season 1 was not a stand-alone work like The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us was. It really can't be a satisfying or complete narrative without at least a season 2. I did really enjoy the first season though, so I'll pick it up when it comes around (maybe I'll wait until most of the episodes are out though, because the wait for the episodes was torturous). The more I look at these games, the more impressed I am with how Telltale really gets the franchises they work with. And about that whole "choices don't matter" thing, I get the sense that people who say that here don't really get what their Game of Thrones series was about in the same way they don't get what season 1 of The Walking Dead was about.

Leon Royce

Aug 22, 2014
Random Argument Man said:
Dear Telltale,

Sincerely
Everyone.
Very true. Their games fall upon apart on your second playthrough when you realize that all the 'game' amounts to is picking between different dialogue options with no long term ramification on anything at all.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Can they use the extra season to devote time to a non Northern house perhaps? We already know the North from the show so its better they focus on another region.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Can they use the extra season to devote time to a non Northern house perhaps? We already know the North from the show so its better they focus on another region.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Good! I'm still weeping bitter tears of impotent rage that Mira's friends were a fat lot of good vengeance for the nigh-Stark levels of endless tragedy the Forresters suffered was oft-hinted at but never materialized!

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
I was saddened by the final episode of Season 1 for completely different reasons. I'd much rather hear about plans for Season 2 of The Wolf Among Us or Tales From The Borderlands. Both were hugely more inventive and enjoyable than the more publicised games they ran parallel with, namely The Walking Dead Season 2 and Game of Thrones.

I felt like the Forresters were just copies of the Starks being railroaded to encounters with characters from the TV show and situations they can't escape from no matter what choice they make. Of course being doomed by powers beyond yours no matter what you do fits with the Game of Thrones setting, but doesn't translate well to a developer who makes games all about choice and consequence. If all choices lead to the same consequence there's really nothing there.

Furthermore, after six episodes I'm invested in hardly any of the characters. In the first episode of Tales From The Borderlands I got fully invested in Rhys, Vaughan, Fiona, and Loader Bot. I got invested in Sasha halfway through the second episode, and invested in Gortys in her first scene in the game. As soon as I spent any real amount of time with these characters I really liked them and cared about what happened to them. I laughed along with them and cried on a couple of occasions throughout the series.

I did neither all the way through Game of Thrones, the only character I really got to like was Rodrik Forrester, and I also quite liked Elaena and Arthur Glenmore. But I could hardly get invested in any of the other plotlines, particularly Mira's story which was an awful mix of railroading and throwing Cersei, Tyrion, and Margarey at you. Asher and Gared weren't bad, but neither really grabbed me enough as characters to get into their stories.

I'm sure I'll end up buying it anyway a couple of days before the final episode is out.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Making it a season 2 basically makes us have to pay for it again.

That's cheap

And the game lost all appeal for me once I found out my choices didn't do anything at all.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
A lot of people are voicing their disappointment elsewhere too.

It's just BS; There was no conclusion after a YEAR of waiting for the full game's release and choices didn't change a thing. Also, I don't care how fictional the game is, no one survives being run through with a greatsword to the guts and out the back, let alone stand up and fight afterwards. Mira's entire storyline was pointless.

There's no point to playing the game, it's a waste of money and I won't touch the second season. I'd rather watch a youtuber I like play through it for more entertainment.

It just solidifies my opinion that episodic gaming is a bad game model because no developer has done it right.