Pirate Bay Purchase "Approved" But Still Looks Fishy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Pirate Bay Purchase "Approved" But Still Looks Fishy

Global Gaming Factory CEO Han Pandeya says shareholders have given the green light to the acquisition of The Pirate Bay, but there still appears to be a lot of questions about how, or even if, he'll be able to pull it off.

GGF's planned acquisition of The Pirate Bay has always appeared a bit iffy and new lawsuit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93335-Pirate-Bay-Sale-Looking-Doubtful] was launched in late July by a group of film companies who want to see it shut down permanently.

Nonetheless, Pandeya has appeared confident throughout and earlier today he announced that shareholders had approved the acquisition and that it will be completed within a month. He claimed that the deal will be financed by the shareholders themselves, a situation made necessary by the revelation earlier today that "several" investors had pulled out of the deal [http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-buyer-loses-several-investors-090827/] over the mounting negative publicity.

Despite Pandeya's claims, however, the deal appears far from done. As CNET [http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10319152-93.html] notes, Pandeya refused to name the original investors and he hasn't named the new ones either, saying only that, as shareholders, they're known to the company. And those investors will have to come up with a lot more than just the $7.8 million required to purchase The Pirate Bay; GGF said it also intends to buy Peerialism, a file-sharing technology company that will power the new Pirate Bay, which will add another $14 million to the price tag.

Pandeya has also claimed that Napster co-founder John Fanning has offered $10 million to buy the company once GGF has acquired it, a claim Fanning denies. He owes back taxes to the Swedish government and has been hit with a lawsuit by GGF's former chief technology officer, who alleges that the company and Pandeya personally owe him more than $800,000. And for the moment, at least, his GGF shares are little more than numbers in a spreadsheet: Swedish officials have halted trading of the company's shares while it investigates suspicious trading activity.

Pandeya has apparently "demanded" that Swedish stock exchange Aktietorget resume trading in GGF stock, but an official said that won't happen until the exchange is satisfied that GGF has the money to acquire The Pirate Bay and Peerialism, and that the bids from Fanning and another, unnamed Russian investor are legitimate. That process could take several weeks; in the meantime, it looks like there's a lot of unfolding left in this drama.

Source: TorrentFreak [http://torrentfreak.com/ggf-shareholders-push-through-pirate-bay-acquisition-090827/]

wilted_orchid

Aug 11, 2009
I can't say I'm not hoping it'll stay open, not because I use it, merely out of my annoyance at Tinseltown in general.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Some other site like Mininova or somehting will probably step up and take piratebay's place.

Not like it matters. Most people use private trackers anyway.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Nimbus said:
Some other site like Mininova or somehting will probably step up and take piratebay's place.

The problem here is that the Pirate Bay just like Napster are symbols of freedom to share. It's not something you can easily replace. The Pirate bay has grown to be much much more than just a website that hosts torrents.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
once it changes hands it hardly makes a difference if it stays open. Part of the appeal of the Bay is that it's run by a few Scandinavian lads who just gave the man in the Music Capital the finger...it was charming, servers everywhere, just in case. Leading the authorities through a merry chase of shutting down one while they booted up another.

That and the wholesome embrace of the Pirate emblem. The Bay is dead, it just remains to be seen how the new owners desecrate the corpse. Whether they just dress it up and whore it about town. Or they could have something more sinister in mind...

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I'm interested to see how the Bay turns out. Could prove to be the founders getting the last laugh.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
Nimbus said:

Besides the fact that most people use Mininova, Demonoid(which is my favorite) and so forth, how does GGF actually plan to make a profit off the site? Why do they think that copyright holders will suddenly let their goods be torrented?

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Does this mean Brittany is still going to be forced to own last years model Lear Jet because of the massive loss of income she suffers from piracy.

Surely this is the last word on the total BS of piracy affecting any of the media industries. If there was any truth to the arguments whatsoever, this transaction would not even have made it this far because PB would have been shut down long ago.

At the end of the day, its all about money and whos getting it. Clearly PB is still provding income to those who matter or they wouldnt be operating. Piracy is almost a legitimised second teir market now. The outcry is complete showmanship, nothing more.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Wow. This is bullshit beyond bullshit. It's gotten to the point where it's so overblown, I'm waiting for some Chris Crocker-like video saying "LEAVE PIRATE BAY ALONE!!!!!"

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
*sigh* guess I'm gonna have to find another site to dl my dr.who episodes when they premiere in the UK, lord knows that BBCA is like 2 years behind on the episodes....and never airs them...

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I'm reminded of Wayne's World in all this fiasco. With all this new stuff, I'm willing to bet one of the lawsuits gets thrown out as there would be too much counteraction. There are going to be losers in this, big losers.