Jim Carrey Hunts A Killer In First True Crimes Images

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Jim Carrey Hunts A Killer In First True Crimes Images

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1010/1010799.jpgJim Carrey has fully transitioned from pet detective to murder investigator in the upcoming True Crimes.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/jim%20carrey?os=jim+carrey>Jim Carrey got his big break with comedies like <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/moviebob/12615-Jim-Carrey-Was-Once-the-World-s-Biggest-Comedy-Star>Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, but he's done some excellent work in dramas as well - The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind being prime examples. So perhaps we shouldn't be surprised when Carrey takes on a project like True Crimes, inspired by a real-life murder investigation. But it's hard not to feel a little shocked by the film's first photos, which present Carrey as a bearded, slightly-haunted police detective hunting a killer-turned-novelist.

True Crimes is based on <a href=http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/02/11/true-crime>a 2003 Polish cold case investigation which took a surprisingly literary turn. Carrey plays a detective who realizes a brutally violent crime scene bears uncanny resemblances to a new fiction novel. The real-world case generated a kind of postmodern debate: Were the police basing the investigation on empircal facts, or constructing a false narrative of their own to catch a suspect?

Even when taking his dramatic roles into account, this is a far more serious role than you'd expect for Carrey. Even so, he absolutely looks the part of a focused detective looking for a break in his case. The visual style is also reminiscent of shows like True Detective which transformed actors like Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey into surprising dramatic presences. If True Crimes can do the same for Carrey, it might just be worth keeping an eye on.

True Crimes is expected to reach theaters in 2016.

[gallery=5116]

Source: <a href=http://imgur.com/a/0cZwT>Imgur

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's going to be a hard sell. Even more so than John Lithgow.

I like Jim Carry in most movies, but the guy is not very good at giving a natural performance. Eternal Sunshine is the only movie I can think of where he didn't come off as obnoxious.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
What are you talking about? John Lithgow can convincingly play anything from a sweet man to a complete psychopath.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Casual Shinji said:

I like Jim Carry in most movies, but the guy is not very good at giving a natural performance. Eternal Sunshine is the only movie I can think of where he didn't come off as obnoxious.
No love for The Majestic?

kitsunefather

Verbose and Meandering
Nov 29, 2010
I love Jim Carrey, and I'm always interested in seeing an actor flex his creative reach. That said, I think Carrey is the most believable when he's playing a character with a sense of humor, and his history of playing sullen and/or "haunted" characters hasn't exactly been his best (or even better) work.

Definitely not writing this off, as I love a good mystery, I just hope they write the character for Carrey, and not try to shoe-horn him into a character he's not built to play.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
kitsunefather said:
I love Jim Carrey, and I'm always interested in seeing an actor flex his creative reach. That said, I think Carrey is the most believable when he's playing a character with a sense of humor, and his history of playing sullen and/or "haunted" characters hasn't exactly been his best (or even better) work.

Definitely not writing this off, as I love a good mystery, I just hope they write the character for Carrey, and not try to shoe-horn him into a character he's not built to play.
I thought he managed to pull of a dramatic performance. A Christmas Carol 2009 with the scene of him and Belle breaking up gives me the feels.

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
Really looking forward to this......i see a hit. Especially if its anything like true detective.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Casual Shinji said:
What are you talking about? John Lithgow can convincingly play anything from a sweet man to a complete psychopath.
Frequently in the same character.

King_Julian said:
Really looking forward to this......i see a hit. Especially if its anything like true detective.
As long as it's not like season 2 of True Detective. *shudders*

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I just can't accept Jim Carey in a serious role. This is probably more my failing than his but I just can't do it. I'm just sitting here waiting for the punch line, no matter what he's doing.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Wait a second guys. I cracked the code. the film is based on a 2003 case... remove the zeroes and it all makes sense as to why Carrey is trying to do a serious crime mystery movie. Don't believe me? Well here's some more steel beam melting proof

2016-2003= 13. Innocuous, right? WRONG! for you see, Jim's name begins with a J... J is the tenth letter of the english alphabet. 10+13 equals... that's right, Number 23

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Casual Shinji said:
Maybe, but I can never not see the goof. He only needs to be the slightest bit of intense and I just can't help laughing. He'll either come across as Dick Solomon, or Evil Dick Solomon.
Mangod said:
No love for The Majestic?
Never saw that one. Forgot it even existed till now.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
What...no love for Number 23?...
EyeReaper said:
Wait a second guys. I cracked the code. the film is based on a 2003 case... remove the zeroes and it all makes sense as to why Carrey is trying to do a serious crime mystery movie. Don't believe me? Well here's some more steel beam melting proof

2016-2003= 13. Innocuous, right? WRONG! for you see, Jim's name begins with a J... J is the tenth letter of the english alphabet. 10+13 equals... that's right, Number 23
Well, it's not quite love, but it's all that is here.
Personally i prefer to see Jim Carrey as serious nowdays, his kinetic abilities can only last for so long as he ages. And i'm mostly certain we have seen all the faces he can pull by now. Am really loving this gritty style, it may not be original but it scratches all the right itches for me. Am keeping an eye on this beauty!

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
EyeReaper said:

In before the killer turns out to be the CDC and some secret cabal of doctors that are evil for... reasons I'm sure Jim will be happy to ramble about on twitter.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
EyeReaper said:

You know, for a while I suffered from the form of...i think they call it numerology disorder? *shrugs* eh, whatever the thing he had in 23, but it was about the number 11.

I would get into my car to go somewhere and the clock light would come on, and it would be 11 after the hour. Or I would pull up at my destination, and before I turned off the car, it would be 11 after the hour. If I was microwaving something, I'd always end up glancing at the timer, and there would be 11 seconds left, no matter how long the cook time was. I started combining numbers at work on the various components we assembled and they would come out as 11. It drove me quite nuts for several years, annoying the piss out me, and I would express this frustration to friends and girlfriends. Then 9/11 happened and it stopped. Now I don't at all believe in anything psychic or supernatural, but the coincidence of when it stopped for me was quite strange.

Watching 23 was a personally disturbing experience, simply because it wasn't very far fetched for me, well, the number obsession bit I mean, the rest of the stuff, and why doesn't apply to me personally.

I'll be interested to see what Jim can do with this. I think he's more than capable of doing drama roles, he just rarely gets the chance to do them because his Jim Fucking Carrey.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
The Number Twenty-snip
If it makes you feel better, I can kinda relate. My brother and I have made a game out of how many times the number 87 appears in our everyday life. You'd be amazed how many times it's happened.

Xsjadoblayde said:
But if you take two snips, divided by the three posts, plus adding together the hour and the minutes of the timestamp of the original post... you get the number Snippty-three.
Don't get me wrong, Ol' Numbo 23 is one of my favorite Carrey Classics, just not for the right reasons. It's one of those movies that tries so hard to be serious, it ends up funny. Perfect for viewing just after after the mike's hard, or the Seagrams buzz, but before the grey goose is busted out.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
EyeReaper said:
Happyninja42 said:
The Number Twenty-snip
If it makes you feel better, I can kinda relate. My brother and I have made a game out of how many times the number 87 appears in our everyday life. You'd be amazed how many times it's happened.
No I wouldn't be surprised at all. xD If it's half as often as 11 would pop up for me, then it's a damn lot.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
EyeReaper said:
Don't get me wrong, Ol' Numbo 23 is one of my favorite Carrey Classics, just not for the right reasons. It's one of those movies that tries so hard to be serious, it ends up funny. Perfect for viewing just after after the mike's hard, or the Seagrams buzz, but before the grey goose is busted out.
I always assumed it was aiming for a slightly darker Tim Burton-esque vibe, like the detective parts were purposefully over-acted and with a strange dark humour underlying it all. Hmm, thinking of it now, i believe my appreciation of it has increased somewhat over time.