Get Jade Empire For Free on Origin Right Now

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Get Jade Empire For Free on Origin Right Now

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/71/71301.jpg
You can permanently add Jade Empire: Special Edition to your Origin library for free for a limited time.

At this stage we should all be pretty familiar with Origin's Jade Empire [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133314-Free-Dead-Space-Launches-Origins-On-the-House-Program].

Simply follow the link [https://www.origin.com/en-jp/store/free-games/on-the-house], click on "download now", which should launch the Origin application (if you have it installed) and permanently add the game to your account. Just to clarify, you don't have to actually download the game in order to add it to your account.

Jade Empire was first released as an Xbox Exclusive back in 2005. It eventually made its way to Xbox 360 and PC as a "special edition," with several additional features and some graphical upgrades.

It will only be available for free for "a limited time" although EA didn't specify when exactly the promotion would end.

Source: Origin [https://www.origin.com/en-jp/store/free-games/on-the-house]

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I still have my original special edition with a Wu the Lotus Blossom poster and awesome steel case. But I've never turned down a game from On the House so off I go!

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Oh awesome! I hope I can upload my saves, so I can play around with all my unlocked stuff and break the game in hillarious ways.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
So...
I could pay to get a DRM FREE version, that runs just as good (if not better).

OR I could get a free DRM version, that's, well...Origin.

Yeah...
I'll stick with GOG.

Kaiser6012

Mar 10, 2010
If anybody doesn't have this game, you should do yourselves a favour and give it a shot. It's a fantastic take on what might happen if Bioware tried to do an RPG after watching EVO for a month straight, and very mechanically different from standard Bioware fare.

If you don't like Origin or want to support Bioware by throwing money at this, it's also available on both Steam and GOG. For $15 US, it's a fantastic buy and will definitely give plenty of play-time for your buck.

CAPTCHA: Describe Powerade. Um... For sportspeople only? Energy drinks are not to be trifled with, and to most people those electrolyte drinks are fancy sugar water.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Conversing with my roomie about Lizard Time (Dragon Age) said:
"Lizard Time: Beginnings is great, it feels like an apology for Jade Empire."
-Time passes-
"Oh Lizard Time: Godawful Sequel isn't so bad, it kind of feels like a slightly worse Jade Empire."
If it's anything like Lizard Time: Godawful Sequel, it's not worth it.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Fdzzaigl said:
Definitely worth getting, it's worth a good 30 hours of entertainment just like that.
If you like Cheesy kung fu movies. Seriously... to be evil in that game you have to be spawn of MIng The mErciless and Sauron evil.

The combat also gets very broken very quickly. As in it becomes more of a formality than a challenge.

That said. It is fun. I mean little hint. Always Pick Tiger style as your first style. Seriously. Because you basically turn into Wolverine.. which is always awesome.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I saw the email last night from Origin telling me they put this on the house. Told myself I'd download it the moment I woke up... Now I just have to hope it works better than the god-awful Steam version.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
EA hands out so much free stuff, my Origin account has about fifteen games on it now, of which I paid for Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3. Thanks EA, sometimes you guys are perversely awesome.

MonsterCrit said:
The combat also gets very broken very quickly. As in it becomes more of a formality than a challenge.
That's pretty standard for Bioware though. My favourite thing about Mass Effect was how in the last third of the game you can basically tear through armies without breaking step, perhaps not the most interesting game play but one of the few examples of the player character living up to the legend.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Well, my original xbox doesn't work anymore...I guess that I'm sold if it works on mac.

Edit: And it doesn't...Why am I not surprised?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Going back to this game it becomes abundantly clear why Bioware hasn't touched on the idea of a new installment: it's imbalanced as HELL. Sure, interesting world with a unique premise that goes against a lot of the incestuous descendants of Tolkien and now George R.R. Martin lying around, but unfortunately the gameplay is easier to snap than a Kit Kat with some styles. Heck, the blunderbuss and Jade Golem styles just destroy any chance of challenge. If Bioware were ever to come back to this, everything would need a HUGE overhaul in order to work.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Souplex said:
Conversing with my roomie about Lizard Time (Dragon Age) said:
"Lizard Time: Beginnings is great, it feels like an apology for Jade Empire."
-Time passes-
"Oh Lizard Time: Godawful Sequel isn't so bad, it kind of feels like a slightly worse Jade Empire."
If it's anything like Lizard Time: Godawful Sequel, it's not worth it.
It still has one of the best BioWare villains to date, even if an action game on KotOR's engine plays funny.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Elfgore said:
I saw the email last night from Origin telling me they put this on the house. Told myself I'd download it the moment I woke up... Now I just have to hope it works better than the god-awful Steam version.
If you had issues getting the Steam version to run properly on a modern computer, I can confirm the Origin version runs without issue out of the box.

This also answers other questions: Yes, you can get it on Steam. But no, it doesn't play well with modern computers. Also, the controller... controls... are poopdiepoop. Plays very well on M+KB.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
MonsterCrit said:
Fdzzaigl said:
Definitely worth getting, it's worth a good 30 hours of entertainment just like that.
If you like Cheesy kung fu movies. Seriously... to be evil in that game you have to be spawn of MIng The mErciless and Sauron evil.

That said. It is fun. I mean little hint. Always Pick Tiger style as your first style. Seriously. Because you basically turn into Wolverine.. which is always awesome.
I was a bigger fan of White Demon, because you could hit spirits with it. I seriously loved this game, but I was totally sad that female PCs can't romance Dawn Star: she's so huggable. But we can't have everything :p

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
MonsterCrit said:
Fdzzaigl said:

I do like cheesy (and non-cheesy) kung fu movies, so yeah.

But seriously though, even though the combat is unbalanced it's still a heap of fun. I actually had a lot of fun figuring out how to use the underpowered combat styles.

The "twist" in this game surprised me more than anything KOTOR managed to offer too.