SMACH Z Cancels Handheld Steam Machine Kickstarter - Update

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
SMACH Z Cancels Handheld Steam Machine Kickstarter - Update

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1016/1016547.jpgThe Smach Z Kickstarter has been cancelled to address backer concerns before launching a new campaign.

Update: Despite a strong campaign opening, the SMACH Z team has taken down its Kickstarter to address various concerns. The team describes various concerns in a new update, ranging from slowed progression, to producing a demo prototype, to strong demand for a Windows-based SMACH Z. It also promises that a new SMACH Z Kickstarter will be launched once those issues are addressed.

"This campaign has meant a lot of good stuff to us," it reads. "It let us see that lots of people are interested in SMACH Z. From loyal backers to people that shared the campaign through social media. We've received great feedback and we have seen people becoming authentic spreaders of their love for SMACH Z. It means that there's a market for this product. Our intention is to keep going and launch a new improved campaign ... to make sure that we can reach our goal!"

Source: <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smachteam/smach-z-the-first-handheld-steam-machine/posts/1445260>Kickstarter

Original Story: If you're the kind of gamer who wishes you could play your Steam library on the go, odds are <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141284-SteamBoy-Machine-Is-Now-SMACH-Zero-And-Here-Are-Its-Specs>you're pretty interested in the SMACH Z. Originally announced last year as <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135381-SteamBoy-Aims-To-Be-The-Handheld-Steam-Machine-Update#&gid=gallery_2705&pid=1>the "SteamBoy", this device promised to be the first handheld Steam Machine, offering the ability to play over 1000 SteamOS games without being tied to pesky cords. Sadly, after a few delays and renamings we still haven't had the chance to play it for ourselves. But perhaps we're nearing the final stretch - the development team has unveiled a new Kickstarter campaign to create the SMACH Z's consumer edition.

As a Steam Machine, the SMACH Z will have full access to any Linux game available in Steam, a list which includes Half-Life 2, Portal 2, Civilization V, BioShock Infinite, and many more. Since our last post, the team has upgraded its screen and internal memory to better support current games. The SMACH Z will come with a Steam Controller-styled layout, but can be fitted with optional adapters if you prefer physical controls over its touchpads. The current specs for the basic model are listed below:

AMD embedded G-Series SoC "Steppe Eagle" with Jaguar-based CPU and GCN based Radeon graphics.
4 GB RAM memory.
64GB internal memory and SD Card Slot.
USB OTG and USB 3.0
5-inch Touch screen with 1080p resolution.
Configurable tactile gamepads.
HDMI video output connection.
Wi-Fi connectivity.Bluetooth connectivity. 4G mobile network connectivity (PRO model only).

[gallery=5182]

The Kickstarter also doubles as the SMACH Z's pre-order campaign, offering the device in a variety of colors. It also unveils the PRO edition, with more robust hardware and an attached camera. It also unveils unique features of the SMACH Z's controls - while it comes with a Steam Controller trackpad, you can clip a traditional D-Pad to replicate a traditional console setup.

Naturally, the SMACH Z is raising all kinds of funds, specifically &euro;51,497 as of writing. The campaign hopes to raise &euro;900,000 by Wed. Jan 13, 2016.

[kickstarter=smachteam/smach-z-the-first-handheld-steam-machine]

Source: <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smachteam/smach-z-the-first-handheld-steam-machine>Kickstarter

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I doubt this thing can actually play many 3D games with compelling quality.
Seems like a pipedream. Long live the Kickstarter micro drone that sucked up millions and vanished! :\

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It's a neat idea. I wish it had more RAM. But Steam is filled with games that would work really well on that device regardless. So if you already have a decent Steam library it would be nice to have something like this.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I haven't checked it out too much, but how's the cooling system going to work? Our smartphones don't have a cooling system and get very hot to the touch, even watching YouTube for extensive periods of time, which isn't really all that extensive.

I can't see it staying even touchable without some sort of cooling.

Robeltu

Sep 19, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
It's a neat idea. I wish it had more RAM. But Steam is filled with games that would work really well on that device regardless. So if you already have a decent Steam library it would be nice to have something like this.
It seems they're offering a pro edition with 8GB of RAM for slightly more money.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
One question I have is whether or not someone's gonna mod the ability to install Windows onto this thing. After all, on top of most PC games defaulting to Windows, doesn't SteamOS actually work worse than Windows? (or did they since fix that?).

Sep 14, 2009
hm, I'll have to wait until it comes out and it's hardware is tested by common games (battery life, fps, etc..) before I consider it, but otherwise seems pretty cool, doubles up nicely if you already have an extensive steam library, I'd love to have one of these on long trips or if I'm waiting for something for work.

Flaery

Ghetto Trash
Dec 23, 2012
DarklordKyo said:
One question I have is whether or not someone's gonna mod the ability to install Windows onto this thing. After all, on top of most PC games defaulting to Windows, doesn't SteamOS actually work worse than Windows? (or did they since fix that?).
4 Million dollar stretch goal, babbyyyy!

On topic: they say on the kickstarter that it's "Powerful enough to play any game on the market: Portal 2, DOTA, Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, SOMA, Civilization V, Metro: Last Light Redux, Borderlands 2, The Witcher 2, ..." which is a statement I hope is more than just a boast, because it may let me postpone buying a new pc if it can play those games at a steady framerate on-the-go.

Bad Player

Jun 21, 2013
My question is less about technical specs and more about the controls. How the heck are you supposed to play Dota on that?

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
After getting a Steam Machine last month I'm now more distracted by all the rumors that are Nintendo NX. Part of me still wants this. But I think it'll go the way of Tapwave Zodiac.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Looks gre- *no dual analogs, touchpads instead* Mmmmmmm I dunno.
It says on the Kickstarter page that you can add on modular buttons (including buttons used to emulate console controllers for emulators), as well as a modular D-Pad, and a modular analog nub. Not exactly the same, but it helps.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Hmmm, yeah I need to see real world framerates, heat dissipation, and battery life before I drop any money on this. I'm not saying it isn't possible for a portable device to run those games at a decent, stable framerate with medium-high settings, but the proposed price tag seems a little low for what they claim it can do. Maybe mobile chips are farther than I think?

Sadly, I'm not finding a stretch goal to hire a marketing expert that can come up with a less shitty name. Something catchy is what they need here, not a confusing fanfic title.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I flat out don't believe it.
It just seems like another snake oil kickstarter, it's kind of sad that kickstarter pretty much let's any bullshit go through their system.
I'll just sit back and wait for the laughs when this ends up being total crap like the ouya.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
DarklordKyo said:
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to install Windows. It's a mini PC running Linux. The only reason why Windows may not be ideal is because the entire thing is designed to be used as a controller so you'd have a harder time navigating through Windows. But maybe that wouldn't be too much of a problem if you're only using it for games anyway.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Might be neat. I've got a few low resource games in my library that it would be fun to fiddle around with when bored and on a road trip or something.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
DarklordKyo said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Looks gre- *no dual analogs, touchpads instead* Mmmmmmm I dunno.
It says on the Kickstarter page that you can add on modular buttons (including buttons used to emulate console controllers for emulators), as well as a modular D-Pad, and a modular analog nub. Not exactly the same, but it helps.
yeah I saw that, I'll wait for some hands on reviews. Not a fan of the touchpad tech being uses at all before its accurate enough for games.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
This thing will fail and fail hard.

1). It's a cut down version of a product that already has no market, i.e the Steam Machine
2). Due to it's size and obvious hardware limitations it will have an even more limited game market than the Steam machine already has.
3). It's targeting a market that has resulted in failure for every manufacturer that has released a console in to it. I.e the attempt to deliver direct ports of home games console games (in this case PC games) to the handheld market. The reason why the Gameboy and it's many iterations have succeeded is because the games were never direct ports (in most cases) they were games designed from the ground up to work on the handheld.

Also

Powerful enough to play any game on the market: Portal 2, DOTA, Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, SOMA, Civilization V, Metro: Last Light Redux, Borderlands 2, The Witcher 2
GTA5, wait a minute unpacked GTA5 comes out at 85Gb and the device only has 64Gb of internal memory, so NO not powerful enough to play ANY game on the market.