Perplexingly, Minecraft Wii U Won't Really Use The Gamepad

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Perplexingly, Minecraft Wii U Won't Really Use The Gamepad

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1016/1016609.jpg
What seemed like a no-brainer feature for the Wii U edition of Minecraft will be absent.

When Minecraft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165349-Mojang-Confirms-Minecraft-For-Wii-U] was announced for the Wii U, the first thing that went to most people's heads was how it would be a perfect fit for the system. After all, the second screen and touch panel of the Wii U gamepad would make inventory management a snap. However, Mojang developer Owen Hill has now confirmed that the Wii U edition won't really use the gamepad at all, with it's only function being the "off-TV" feature that is already present in several other Wii U titles.

"Would be cool," said Hill [https://twitter.com/Bopogamel/status/673970752069201924], when asked about the gamepad being used for inventory management, adding that at the moment, "[the gamepad] is just used as an alternate screen if someone is using the TV."

It is worth noting that Mojang and Nintendo have confirmed the Wii U version of the game would get regular content updates, so Hill's comments don't rule out the possibility of the feature being patched in at a later date, but it seems a shame that such a no-brainer feature is absent.

This also doesn't give much hope for touch-screen based controls, and it seems likely that the Wii U version will simply be a straight-up port of the other console versions of Minecraft.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/Bopogamel/status/673970752069201924]

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Ah yes, the ever-ironic fact that the Wii-U has the greatest potential to do PC-esque things like mouse-like controls or alternate windows/tabs on its gamepad, but its only ever used for gimmicky stuff, if at all.

I really wouldn't expect Microsoft to go all out in utilising a competitor's tech to make a potentially better version then Xbox has though.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
What the hell, Microsoft? Gamepad for inventory management was such an obvious use case, I can't fathom why they didn't include it.

P.S. Thanks

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
This like like when people stopped bothering with motion control gimmicks on the Wii.
Except that the gamepad actually works, it's just that nobody wants to use it?

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Covarr said:
What the hell, Microsoft? Gamepad for inventory management was such an obvious use case, I can't fathom why they didn't include it.

P.S. Thanks
Because that would be work.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
And the reason why anyone who has any other Minecraft-capable system would buy this version just went *slide whistle* *crash*. Maybe the Nintendo exclusive content (if it really is being made and does release) will be worth it to some people, even though there probably is some Nintendo themed mods for the PC version.[footnote]And if Big N suddenly starts C & D-ing them, you'll know why.[/footnote]

They are 2 years+ late in bringing Minecraft to the Wii U, and they didn't even bother adding an obvious system-specific feature that might sell more copies? This version just seems like an afterthought now. Hopefully, they do update it with a multi-screen mode soon. Although if they did, Mojang wouldn't be the first to add unique gamepad features (besides off TV play) to a finished game. Nintendo did it themselves at least with Pikmin 3 a year after its release, by adding a stylus control option. Either way, we're currently dealing with a brainfart or a lazy port, or both.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
weirdee said:
Because thinking outside their comfort zone causes panic attacks. Seriously, you'd think after more than ten years of living in a dual screen gaming environment due to platforms like the DS and 3DS selling ten of millions utilizing the Gamepad would be a cinch. But instead devs prove time and time again they're incapable of even implementing the most obvious innovations.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
That shit's probably hard to program, after all. And probably not even worth the effort.

C14N

May 28, 2008
It's pretty clear they're not concerned with putting out a great product here. Why would they be? They're making it for a competitor. It's not like the Xbox One's graphics are going to be a huge draw for Minecraft so if they made the Wii U version have touch screen controls, it would probably end up being better than their own version. I can't imagine this particular version of Minecraft will sell well at all (still less than 12 million Wii U's sold and I'd guess that most of those are grown up Nintendo fans with little interest in the game), even if they did have touch screen controls, so I'm sure this was done with the least effort possible on the part of the team.

Oathfish

May 30, 2014
I, for one, am so incredibly glad that gamepad functionality will not be used for this. My kid as a Wii U and has broken the screen of the controller twice (being a kid), the frustrating fact that controllers are not sold separately has put quite a damper on the system. Minecraft is her favorite game, so this means I can get it to her and she can use a real controller, which is awesome.

(Edited to be readable)

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Umm.... the Vita has some touch screen control stuff on it. I hope they add at least that much to it.

I have all 5 console versions of Minecraft and this is just plain sad.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
FoolKiller said:
Umm.... the Vita has some touch screen control stuff on it. I hope they add at least that much to it.

Wow, five versions? Are you able to transfer save data between any of those versions or is every version 'sandboxed'?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
weirdee said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
This like like when people stopped bothering with motion control gimmicks on the Wii.
It is pretty much because no one wants to use it in my opinion. Games that would suit it, don't use it very well and games that wouldn't suit it the extra control feels more tacked on.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
bluegate said:
FoolKiller said:

Wow, five versions? Are you able to transfer save data between any of those versions or is every version 'sandboxed'?
Afaik you can transfer your savegame and DLC up from one console generation to the next of the same company. No other compability.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Wow, dropping the ball doesn't even begin to describe how colossal this fuckup is. What the fuck Microsoft Mojan?!? Just what the fucking hell is wrong with you? This right here is already a solid enough reason not to get the game.

I bet that if the game doesn't sell well, they will blame the Wii U userbase and the console like every AAA publisher did in the past years after releasing a broken, unoptimized port a year after it was release don every other console for the full price. like EA released the broken ME3 port for $60 while releasing the whole trilogy on the PS3 for $50 a week earlier. Yeah, I wonder why it doesn't sell, must be the damn player who hate you for no reason.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
As others have said, this was one of the main reasons people wanted it on Wii U, to take advantage of the second screen.

It would have been a huge selling point for the game.

Instead they decided to be lazy bastards and just directly port it over with the added second screen.

How pathetic is that?

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Bindal said:
bluegate said:
FoolKiller said:

Afaik you can transfer your savegame and DLC up from one console generation to the next of the same company. No other compability.
You can freely transfer save data inside the same company back and forth. So I can play the Vita version, transfer it, play at home on PS4, then send it back and continue on Vita... or send it and play on PS3.

Same goes for Microsofts Xbox 360 and Xbox One versions.