In the Heart of the Sea - Man vs. Dick

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
In the Heart of the Sea - Man vs. Dick

In the Heart of the Sea is the "true story" of Moby-Dick, although cut down into a Hollywood film where only the exciting events were included. Okay.

Read Full Article

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Wait a minute...that can't be Chris Hemsworth...he's not holding a hammer!

OT: Pretty much what I've been hearing: this movie's one big, giant pile of "Meh."

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
"Oh, and future Spider-Man Tom Holland shows up as the younger version of Brendan Gleeson's character. If his performance here is any indication as to what we're going to get with Spider-Man, we're going to be disappointed."
I don't think it's fair to judge how an actor will do playing a superhero based on his performance in a period-piece about whaling. Then again, what do I know? I'm not a film critic.

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
"Oh, and future Spider-Man Tom Holland shows up as the younger version of Brendan Gleeson's character. If his performance here is any indication as to what we're going to get with Spider-Man, we're going to be disappointed."
I don't think it's fair to judge how an actor will do playing a superhero based on his performance in a period-piece about whaling. Then again, what do I know? I'm not a film critic.
Hey now, you're as qualified to be a film critic as the one we've got here.

And frankly, you'd probably do me a helluva lot more good than Mr. 3-Out-of-5. I think I'm finally giving up. These reviews do me no good at all. I need a critic who can muster up enough feeling one way or the other (and consistently)about a film that I can form my own judgements based on how my own tastes compare and contrast.

All I ever get here is a bit of wishy-washy back and forth with the occasional hate-fest tossed in... said hate either being directed seemingly arbitrarily at some movie or actor that hardly seems more egregiously terrible than the previous 3-out-of-5 did.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Actually watched it over the weekend.

I actually thought it was decent. Probably better taken in as a visual experience through 3D though. The 3D was fairly well done in this one and had a lot of really nice pop to the textures. I'll agree that the story bogged down a lot once the the ship was wrecked and they were in the life boats and I thought the whole conflict between the first mate and the Captain was a bit of a wasted opportunity. They could have done a bit more with it but the whole thing just kinda dried up in the middle of the third act with a pretty weak resolution.

That was the bad, the good was in when you could see the action of making the ship run, the whaling scene (in all it's to modern eyes senseless brutality) and i did care what was going to happen to the characters. Hemsworth was convincing as a
ship's officer but there was very little else by way of strong character to be seen.

Over all though I enjoyed it.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
Well, whether or not Gleeson had any good material to work with, or even what quantities of material, can result in the movie giving a biased impression of his talents (or lack thereof).

More seriously; are we still advertising movies as "the true story of ___!" in 2015/16? Haven't we gotten over that yet?