8 Great Videogame Intro Sequences

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Great Videogame Intro Sequences

Sometimes a game can grab your attention right from the start, like these eight did for our community.

Read Full Article

Enrathi

Aug 10, 2009
Great list, but I would like to point out that while the second entry says it's for C&C: Red Alert 2, the actual embedded video is for Thief 1.

EDIT: Spelling.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
The greatest video game intro I've ever seen is Final Fantasy VIII's. All of these were great, but VIII's is just amazing to me. The music is gripping, it's fast, full of action, and it's classic Square at their best with CGI cut scenes. That gunblade duel was just amazing to watch.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
As much as I loved Half-Life 2, the first game had the better intro.

The relatively calm, almost soothing, tram ride at the start belied the horror and chaos that would unfold in the near future. It gave the player a look at the scale and inner workings of the Black Mesa Research Facility and made the player feel like a small cog in the larger machine at play there. It made the place feel simultaneously grandiose yet 'lived in', cold and antiseptic yet warm and grungy. Walking the halls after the tram ride was a slice-of-life sensation. You were simply on your way to work, listening in on the idle chit-chat of your colleagues.

It's still one of the most memorable intros I've ever seen. A far cry from the usual bombastic, straight-to-the-action intros one usually sees. Even today, thinking back to the first time I played, I can get chills from hearing that music.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
If we're including cinematics and not just opening tutorial sections, you cannot leave out Demon Siege!

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Remus said:
If we're including cinematics and not just opening tutorial sections, you cannot leave out Demon Siege!
There is a slight problem here in that the whole fight could've been gameplay.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Aw, what the hell? First it was Timesplitters with the other thread, and now Wild ARMs 1 with this thread?

I don't know about any of you, but that game's intro was solid. Skipping it, IMHO, is akin to video game blasphemy of the highest order. Since I've yet to play Alter Code F, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and give it the same seal of approval I gave the original.

Oh well. Guess it's back to sulking away and whimpering again...

*walks away quietly sulking and whimpering to himself*