All Systems Nominal - MechWarrior Online Launches to Steam

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
All Systems Nominal - MechWarrior Online Launches to Steam

MechWarrior Online launches to Steam along with faction warfare update.

After a few years of some honestly rocky development, Piranha Games's Steam [http://mwomercs.com/].

Even back when the game was in beta, factional warfare was supposedly just on the horizon. While MechWarior is certainly rooted in giant mechs blasting each other to slag, for a lot of the fan base the greater political situations and machinations of the BattleTech universe are a major draw for the franchise. Whether it's the great houses bitterly fighting for resources, the Inner Sphere desperately trying to fend of the Clan invasion, or ComStar being jerks to everyone - fans all have their favorite factions and characters, in addition to favorite mechs. Today the Faction Play phases of the development is going live, with more updates promised in the near future. Pilots will get to side with a Inner Sphere Great House or one of the invading Clans.

If this new updates isn't enough to bring returning fans and founders back to the game, releasing the client to the largest PC digital distributor, Steam, is going to inject some new blood. Having spent some time away from the game, it was good to see that a fully fleshed out tutorial had been added. MechWarrior has a lot of hurdles for new players, so anything that gives them a fighting chance is a step in the right direction. The game is available free-to-play, with there being some package deals you can purchase through Steam to flesh out your pool of mechs.

There's going to be a live stream of these announcements starting shortly. You can tune in at http://www.twitch.tv/piranhagames. I'll be adding any further updates that follow.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Excellent, I've been wanting to play it but never really got the chance. Including it on Steam always somehow helps, it brings it closer as it were.

But anyway, awesome! Because you can do shit like this:

and this:

Aww yish gonna build m'self some robots.
[small]Once my arm comes out of its cast...[/small]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I forget which was the last MechWarrior that I played...think it was MW3...all I remember is custom fitting my mech with something like 11 Heavy Lasers all setup to fire at the exact same time.

Think of it as a Death Star laser, but on a mobile ground vehicle. :3

Sure, it meant that I overheated and was paralyzed for 10 seconds every time I pulled the trigger...but that's only a problem if I miss the target. Score a hit and it was guaranteed instant-death. :p

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
This game disappoints me so badly. I really, really love the idea of a modern Mechwarrior game, I was a huge fan of the older games and I played the tabletop game for many years. But... All-PvP, no single player campaign. That just destroys it for me and ensures I will never play it. Why can't SOMEONE make a modern Mechwarrior game along the lines of the older games? I'd buy it in a heartbeat, even at my country's ridiculously inflated prices.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
Wasn't this from the company that tried to kickstart a space game entirely with stolen assets? Yeah it was called "transverse" or something and pretty much everything they showed was ripped from other games and it had a 2 million dollar stretch goal for being able to ?fight each other online in local space instances? I mean honestly who would trust these people with ANYTHING?

conanthegamer

Sep 19, 2008
RJ 17 said:
I forget which was the last MechWarrior that I played...think it was MW3...all I remember is custom fitting my mech with something like 11 Heavy Lasers all setup to fire at the exact same time.

Sure, it meant that I overheated and was paralyzed for 10 seconds every time I pulled the trigger...but that's only a problem if I miss the target. Score a hit and it was guaranteed instant-death. :p
There is already a guy who does that. Go to youtube and look up TheBeef DireStar. The only problem with doing it now is that if you do that two or three times your engine blows up and your out of the game. Unless your playing Community Warfare then you go to the next mech(unless your on the last of the four you drop with, then your out of the game. During close(and open) beta they were having problems with 6 PPC Stalkers so PGI instituted heat modifiers(referred to as ghost heat). If you have 2 PPC's, there's no ghost heat but add a third and not only do you have to deal with the heat from the three Particle Projection Cannon but also the ghost heat(Not sure the exact value but you can find them here.-->http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
RJ 17 said:

Sounds familiar. I swear I did almost exactly that. And it worked so long as you scored. Makes me smile to hear someone else made a "Darksaber" mech. I called mine Darksaber because of the Star Wars EU book, horribly written but had a story about a ship that was basically the superlaser from the Death Star cut down and fitted for a ship.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
infohippie said:
This game disappoints me so badly. I really, really love the idea of a modern Mechwarrior game, I was a huge fan of the older games and I played the tabletop game for many years. But... All-PvP, no single player campaign. That just destroys it for me and ensures I will never play it. Why can't SOMEONE make a modern Mechwarrior game along the lines of the older games? I'd buy it in a heartbeat, even at my country's ridiculously inflated prices.
This may interest you - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech?ref=hero_thanks

RJ 17 said:

I did the same, across the myriad of Mechwarrior/Mechcommander games.

Specifically, I recall taking a Stone Rhino in Ghost Bear's Legacy and maxing out with PPCs. It was instant shutdown every time I fired. If I overrode the shutdown and fired again the 'Mech would instantly explode. Was hilarious.

I also recall taking a Firemoth and stripping out all weapons, ammo, and armor. I then maxed the engine and jump jets. I'd just thrust forward towards a target so quickly that when I collided with any sized 'Mech both it and my 'Mech would be destroyed.

Then there were the Atlas MG or Flamer boats in MC2...

Fun times.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Vigormortis said:
infohippie said:
This may interest you - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech?ref=hero_thanks
Thank you, and I did know about it. But what I really want is a real-time, cockpit-view game where I pilot a mech, but I have zero interest in PvP. I want a long storyline campaign like the old Mechwarrior games were.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
I heard the rumour that they used stolen assets but I don't think that was ever substantiated. Anywho, Transverse was back when they were under IGP, their publisher. You'll of course never know for sure how much of the fuck-uperry was PGI's and how much was IGP's but when they cut ties MWO immediately improved. They've definitely been improving the past 15 months but I wouldn't blame anybody for holding their past against them.
I'm definitely in the hold it against them camp, though I do know they've gotten better since I've left.

Back when I played it took forever to get any money, costs were all over the place, balance was fucked to hell, and community engagement was ridiculously low to the point I don't remember them even talking to the community about anything.

I know that they've objectively gotten better since then, but there's a lot of lingering animosity I have for them that's totally irrational, but its hard not to be annoyed when you support a company and then just get burned by them.

SweetJackal

Aug 1, 2014
infohippie said:
Vigormortis said:
infohippie said:
Thank you, and I did know about it. But what I really want is a real-time, cockpit-view game where I pilot a mech, but I have zero interest in PvP. I want a long storyline campaign like the old Mechwarrior games were.
Keep an eye on MWO then. PGI is working towards getting a working AI in it's game for various reasons and getting a single player campaign is on the docket for them. They haven't said when though and they are currently working on CW phase 3, so it won't be soon.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
infohippie said:
You and me both. I still have to resort to playing MW2~4 with my HOTAS flight stick. (not that that's a bad thing)

However, I'm as much a fan of the RTS/Tactical side of Battletech as I am the piloting side, so this new Battletech game may scratch the itch I've had since Mechcommander 2 came out so many years ago.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
SweetJackal said:
infohippie said:
Vigormortis said:
infohippie said:
Keep an eye on MWO then. PGI is working towards getting a working AI in it's game for various reasons and getting a single player campaign is on the docket for them. They haven't said when though and they are currently working on CW phase 3, so it won't be soon.
Interesting! Could be fun, I will keep an eye out.

Vigormortis said:
infohippie said:
You and me both. I still have to resort to playing MW2~4 with my HOTAS flight stick. (not that that's a bad thing)

However, I'm as much a fan of the RTS/Tactical side of Battletech as I am the piloting side, so this new Battletech game may scratch the itch I've had since Mechcommander 2 came out so many years ago.
Yeah, it has been a long time since I played the tabletop version. I will have to check this one out once it releases, thank you!

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
Is this any better or worse than HAWKEN? That scratched my itch for PvP robot combot and then some.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Vigormortis said:
Holy shit, It's the guy behind Crimson Skies! I loved that game. I have never been as disappointed as when my mother hung the CD up in a tree to scare crows away from eating our Sweet Cherry's.

OT: Looks interesting, I'll definitely check this out. Never really been a fan of mech games, but this might change my mind.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Ushiromiya Battler said:
Holy shit, It's the guy behind Crimson Skies! I loved that game.
Yep. Jordan Weisman was responsible for Battletech, Crimson Skies, and Shadowrun.

I have never been as disappointed as when my mother hung the CD up in a tree to scare crows away from eating our Sweet Cherry's.
That's just cruel! Jeez.

OT: Looks interesting, I'll definitely check this out. Never really been a fan of mech games, but this might change my mind.
If you're unfamiliar with the Battletech / Mechwarrior universe here's a look at the rather extensive lore behind the series.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

Fair warning: When I say extensive, I mean extensive.