Take a Look at Diablo III Patch 2.4's New Zone: Greyhollow Island

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Take a Look at Diablo III Patch 2.4's New Zone: Greyhollow Island

Greyhollow Island will use a new kind of "dynamic storytelling" to allow players to unravel its mysteries.

The Ruins of Sescheron [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/diablo%203?from_search=1&&os=Diablo+3], and patch 2.4, which should release any day now, will add another: Greyhollow Island.

In a blog post [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/19987607], Blizzard have given us a look at what new locales and creatures Greyhollow Island will bring with it, as well as explaining a little about the new "dynamic storytelling" it will employ, in order to reach a compromise between the zone still having it's own story, and the plot-light gameplay of Adventure Mode.

First, check out some images of the zone below:

[gallery=5201]

"Greyhollow is supposed to be set in a treacherous area. As a child, I have vivid memories of driving with my family to the Oregon coast and seeing shipwrecks sinking out into the sand, being beaten by the grey fury of nature," said Technical Artist Neal Wojahn.

As for the zone's dynamic storytelling, "Grasping the story of Greyhollow is a more complex endeavor than a jaunt through the zone. As you explore the island, you'll begin to unravel the mystery that's threaded through each journal entry and event you stumble upon. Not every player will experience the story in quite the same way and may not even draw the same conclusions as a result; it's truly the choice of each adventurer how much they want to focus on what's unfolding or just blitz through and check a bounty off their list," wrote Blizzard.

Patch 2.4 is set to be the game's biggest patch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/14949-BlizzCon-Diablo-3-patch-2-4-and-Season-5-Everything-We-Know] since the Reaper of Souls expansion, adding dozens of new items and features, and balancing dozens more. We don't have a solid release date for it yet, but it is currently on the PTR, and we will hopefully see it launch before the end of the year.

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/19987607]

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Sigh...I wish the consoles would get these patches, especially since this one is continuing/has it's own story. Alas, it is not to be. Looks cool though. I'll be sure to read about what's going on when it comes out.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh its just so dark and broody! I wonder if they have Disney Princesses in decidedly non-Disney situations. Ariel as a Voodoo priestess or Cinderalla as as zombie-scarecrow.
Oh, just SO edgy!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Looks at YouTube...

...yep, still whining.

Anyway, calling it now, Greyhollow is the island that was featured in 'Morbed'.

Come to think of it, anyone else get a Path of Exile vibe? Come to an island (Wraeclast), everything's dark and corrupted, the locals are coocoo, etc.

Oh that's right, it's still not "dark" enough. 0_0

Sniper Team 4 said:
Sigh...I wish the consoles would get these patches, especially since this one is continuing/has it's own story.
Based on the Ruins of Sescheron, I don't know if "continuing story" is the right word. RoS has its own arc, true, but it's very much a side story in the overall scheme of things.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Sigh...I wish the consoles would get these patches, especially since this one is continuing/has it's own story. Alas, it is not to be. Looks cool though. I'll be sure to read about what's going on when it comes out.
Do you think Blizzard just forgot it released Diablo III on consoles? Like, when Reaper of Souls came out, one of the middle-managers mentioned briefly "I've sorted the expansion, that's all good and launched on consoles now lads," and everyone else was like "yep you sure took care of that, buddy," and then when he left they all looked at each other like "Who was that guy? Does he work here? What's he on about consoles for?"

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
Thyunda said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Do you think Blizzard just forgot it released Diablo III on consoles? Like, when Reaper of Souls came out, one of the middle-managers mentioned briefly "I've sorted the expansion, that's all good and launched on consoles now lads," and everyone else was like "yep you sure took care of that, buddy," and then when he left they all looked at each other like "Who was that guy? Does he work here? What's he on about consoles for?"
Apparently they did. The last patch the console versions got was 2.1.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Silentpony said:
Oh its just so dark and broody! I wonder if they have Disney Princesses in decidedly non-Disney situations. Ariel as a Voodoo priestess or Cinderalla as as zombie-scarecrow.
Oh, just SO edgy!
You're certainly no stranger to edginess. Just what were you expecting? This is a setting where humanity and the angels are on the brink of total annihilation. If the worldstone is overtaken, the human world will literally cease to be. Did you somehow expect an okay place to vacation in, in a world that has a worldwide demon invasion problem?

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Denamic said:
If the worldstone is overtaken, the human world will literally cease to be. Did you somehow expect an okay place to vacation in, in a world that has a worldwide demon invasion problem?
Aaaactually, the Worldstone's been shattered since the end of Lord of Destruction, and it's destruction has a very different result that I won't spoil in case anyone actually cares about the story :p

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
RejjeN said:
Denamic said:
If the worldstone is overtaken, the human world will literally cease to be. Did you somehow expect an okay place to vacation in, in a world that has a worldwide demon invasion problem?
Aaaactually, the Worldstone's been shattered since the end of Lord of Destruction, and it's destruction has a very different result that I won't spoil in case anyone actually cares about the story :p
You'll note I did not say anything about the worldstone being 'destroyed'.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Janichsan said:
Thyunda said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
That doesn't right, wasn't the Kanai's Cube stuff 2.3? That's on consoles.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Janichsan said:
Jadak said:
Janichsan said:
That doesn't right, wasn't the Kanai's Cube stuff 2.3? That's on consoles.
Which consoles? It's not on the PS3.
Ah, that would explain it. Xbox One and presumably PS4. Would seem it's just the last gen console versions being ignored.

Unfortunate, but not particularly surprising.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Silentpony said:
Oh, just SO edgy!
Might wanna back away from that edge yourself.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Thyunda said:
Do you think Blizzard just forgot it released Diablo III on consoles?
The patch notes for 2.4 [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/19941044] have a section specifically titled "PC-only features", which suggests that all the rest will be on consoles. Interestingly, the PC only features seem to mainly consist of copying features over from the console version.

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
Are these patches free, or paid DLC? Will I need Reaper of Souls to access the new content?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Solkard said:
Are these patches free, or paid DLC? Will I need Reaper of Souls to access the new content?
Yes and no. All the content patches are free, but you need reaper of souls to access the expansion exclusive content and the higher level cap.