New White Wolf Announces Plans for World of Darkness Games, Movies, TV Shows

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
New White Wolf Announces Plans for World of Darkness Games, Movies, TV Shows

Creative forces now in charge of venerated role-playing franchise beginning to chart new course.

White Wolf Publishing has provided new information on the future of World of Darkness. Speaking in a presentation and a Q&A session at Tenebrae Noctis, a World of Darkness fan event held last weekend in Germany, CEO Tobias Sjogren and Lead Storyteller Martin Ericsson of the newly reborn White Wolf (following its acquisition in late October by Paradox Interactive [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161229-White-Wolf-Publishing-Acquired-by-Paradox-Interactive]) discussed the current state of the company and some of their plans going forward.

As previously mentioned in our interview with Sjogren [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161249-White-Wolf-CEO-Interview], White Wolf will be licensing the properties within World of Darkness to creative partners in a broad range of media (including those traditionally associated with the brand, such as pen and paper roleplaying products and videogames), while developing a single metaplot to run through and bring together all products under the banner. Ericsson revealed that this plot will specifically tell modern stories set in the 21st century on a global scale, saying that the focus will, "gradually shift from the United States to Europe, Russia, and the Middle East."

Some content will be rendered non-canon as a result of this metaplot direction, which will provide a new history for the World of Darkness reflecting current real-world events as they relate to the various "end times" prophecies established in the game world. Ericsson estimated the start of this historical revision would begin around 2003, and delivered through products in bits and pieces over a period of years.

An effort is also being made to allow for more cohesion between product lines within World of Darkness. "While they will be separate in their thematics," said Ericsson, "we are looking to unify the look and the feel and the emotional overarching tone of the World of Darkness to make sure that when (and/or if) crossovers happen, they will work."

No specific product announcements were made, noting that discussions with partners were ongoing, but the pair did address several popular requests from fans as being under consideration. Sjogren specifically expressed a desire to pursue collectible card game lines, citing a growing interest in Vampire: The Eternal Struggle.

One likely project is a sequel to the 2004 videogame Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, for which there is a clear interest. "One of my favorite call-ups from a previously engaged partner," Ericsson related, "was Activision calling us, like, 'You're White Wolf, can you please tell us why Bloodlines sells so well?'"

Hunter: The Reckoning was also mentioned as a possible candidate for a future sequel, with Ericsson noting it as (along with Vampire) one of the two White Wolf properties that has found success as a videogame. He also teased a bit that the gameplay of prior Hunter titles, which centered four-player cooperative play, was something one of their partners already had experience with in Magicka, which was published by White Wolf's parent company, Paradox.

[gallery=5215]

Conversations are also occurring with developers of unofficial works. Sjogren stated there has been discussion with the developers of Project Vaulderie (a fan-created remake of Bloodlines in the Unity engine shut down by CCP through a cease and desist letter last year) and expressed that the company is open to talking to other community creators about projects that could infringe on their properties. "Our way of looking at this," said Sjogren, "is that it's more fun to talk to creative people than to have the lawyers talk to them."

Live-action roleplaying will also be an area of focus for the company again, according to Ericsson, who has an extensive career background in developing live interactive experiences. In addition to continued support for the Mind's Eye Theater line of live-action products, it was announced that White Wolf itself will produce official LARP events.

The pair were more ambiguous about the cancelled MMO that had been in development at CCP. While noting that White Wolf has all of the content developed for the game, Sjogren stated it would be beyond the capacity of the company to launch it as a product, "over a holiday," as if to leave open the possibility that the MMO could launch at a far later date. But before Sjogren was able to clarify further, Ericsson stepped in to praise the work the team at CCP had done, stating that some of the material would be folded into future setting material, "because there were a lot of people who sweated and bled for a lot of years, and that will not be in vain."

The new White Wolf doesn't seem to be ruling anything out as a possible avenue for World of Darkness, and eager to expand its presence as a major horror property.

"We jokingly say that if we don't have a show on Netflix or HBO around 2021, we have failed," said Ericsson. "Our ambitions are huge because we think this IP belongs up there with Star Wars and Game of Thrones and all the other greats. And this is the opportunity to do it. That's the scope of our ambition, nothing less is worthwhile."

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
This is the best news EVER! I love whitewolf, have been playing the pen and paper games since the original books and have been saying for years they need to expand out more into the tv/movie verse. The Hunter and Vampire games were both great an Hunter has need a new game in the line for a while. There is no bad news in this article. I R EXCITE!

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
the only news that is a really good sign is they took away the license from Onyx Path. That shows they might actually care about the quality of WoD products.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i am so excited about the possibility of a VtM:B sequel that im about to crap myself lets hope Activision doesn't mess it up again i loved the oWoD

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Whoa and I just bought two of the 20th addition Werewolf the Apocalypse books just moments ago.
This is all great news.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
It is nice to see paradox will continue its mod friendly policy in regards to cooperating with modders and allowing them to tweak and maybe help produce games.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I've spent my share of time playing White Wolf's games. But I have to confess I've never understood the predilection for allowing the game company to take the role of having a "canon", a defined and particular say for the way things progress in the world over an extended period of time. It seems to me that a game maybe offers a setting and backstory, but then it ought to be hands off; establishing where the world goes from there is the Storyteller's job. It doesn't help that what I've seen in the past in WW's handling of same was particularly ham-handed, with the relationships between factions that have allegedly been more or less consistent for hundreds or thousands of years suddenly upended for a new edition, often for little more reason than to generate artificial tension between player characters.

Hopefully the new owners are more thoughtful than WW's old brass, but I don't see a lot in an announced intention to blow out across all media that makes me enthusiastic; the last attempt to do so brought us things like a Vampire: The Masquerade television show under the helm of Aaron Spelling.

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
I'm totally in the minority here, but I really hope that we someday see another co-op Hunter game out of this deal.

lastcigarette

Mar 18, 2010
They're bring back the meta-plot, thank goodness. What I'd really like to see is App based ARG like Ingress.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
This is all potentially good news.

I'm a little wary of overly aggressive pushing of a license of late, given how that turned out for a fair number of the warhammer games that spawned over recent years.
That said, despite the duds, there's been some good ones too.

Even if we do get some stinkers out of this push, at least its better than a property just been sat on by a company like they're some kind of broody hen pecking at anyone who dares to try to do something with it.

Or pachinko.
It's better than pachinko too.

MetalheroDamien

Blackwing Hybrid Hero
Mar 25, 2010
Rawbeard said:
the only news that is a really good sign is they took away the license from Onyx Path. That shows they might actually care about the quality of WoD products.
They didn't. "New" World of Darkness will continue to come out of Onyx Path, under the name "Chronicles of Darkness" to prevent confusion among the laity, and OPP will be allowed to finish the 20th Anniversary books. The only thing being removed from their capable hands is 4th Ed. Of Vampire: The Masquerade.

Mar 9, 2012
A Bloodlines sequel would ideally need to have Brian Mitsoda on-board, and Obsidian as developers, since they are the closest to the old Troika team still around.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I prob misread/misunderstood but the idea of an Activision exec calling up White Wolf and being all like "how does bloodlines sell so well?!?" o0 whilst scratching their heads at this puzzling mystery made me lol, would have been better if was Konami or EA but I'll take what I can when it comes to my own amusement.

Anyways fingers crossed for a proper Bloodlines sequel.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
MetalheroDamien said:
They didn't. "New" World of Darkness will continue to come out of Onyx Path, under the name "Chronicles of Darkness" to prevent confusion among the laity, and OPP will be allowed to finish the 20th Anniversary books. The only thing being removed from their capable hands is 4th Ed. Of Vampire: The Masquerade.
Actually losing the rights to call your product "World of Darkness" makes it no longer relevant. Rabid fans want the oWoD stuff anyway, so someone continuing nWoD without being able to call it WoD is basically the same as having the license pulled. outside some RPG Boards no one even knows this exists and no one will randomly pick up "Chronicles of Darkness" when they know the name "World of Darkness". Branding matters. you can't expect a second Pathfinder situation without Paizo like pull, and Onyx Path is just some dude scamming Kickstarter (basically, don't take this literally).

Apr 5, 2008
One likely project is a sequel to the 2004 videogame Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, for which there is a clear interest. "One of my favorite call-ups from a previously engaged partner," Ericsson related, "was Activision calling us, like, 'You're White Wolf, can you please tell us why Bloodlines sells so well?'"
This is FANTASTIC news. The possibility of some sort of follow up to such a great game is wonderful, I hope something comes of it. Even just the fan project to modernise, update and *fix* the original would be nice, but a new VTM adventure with a similar aesthetic/ambiance to Bloodlines and a similar/same role playing system with different stats, clans, powers....oooooh.

And they must make a Werewolf game too. I would go to their HQ and kiss all the devs for that. No tongue obviously.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
Frankster said:
I prob misread/misunderstood but the idea of an Activision exec calling up White Wolf and being all like "how does bloodlines sell so well?!?" o0 whilst scratching their heads at this puzzling mystery made me lol, would have been better if was Konami or EA but I'll take what I can when it comes to my own amusement.

Anyways fingers crossed for a proper Bloodlines sequel.
Its Activision. They are just wondering how a story driven game that isn't a first person military shooter manages to have fans and continue selling after so many years.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
That Activision detail is both incredibly hilarious while slightly worrying. I sure hope they don't shoehorn their dodgy business practices into these potential games.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
We'll see what they do with Mage and Werewolf, hopefully it will be interesting.

Is this going to impact the other materials that White Wolf created but aren't technically part of "world of darkness" ? Like Scion or Exalted? A friend of mine has been eagerly awaiting the new Exalted stuff so he could run a game. I'm curious if Onyx is still working on that, or if it's been shuttled over to White Wolf again.

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
kris40k said:
Its Activision. They are just wondering how a story driven game that isn't a first person military shooter manages to have fans and continue selling after so many years.
"Bu...bu...but the cover has a GIRL on it! And where are the GUNS????"

"What do you mean the player just stand there and TALK to other vampires?"