8 Single-player PC Games to Play Over the Holidays

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Single-player PC Games to Play Over the Holidays

If you're looking for something to play over the holidays but don't have anyone to play with, try out one of these eight games.

Read Full Article

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Wow, outside of Witcher 3, I played literally all of these during last year's Holiday season to pass the time. I... don't know how to respond to that.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I've been working my way through the first KOTOR since the second one is broken for me. I get to a certain point where my party is meant to be in cages but instead they're standing around and trying to talk to one activates some cheat node where I can go back to a certain conversation I've had twice so far. This is the GOG.com version of KOTOR 2.

Sep 14, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
I've been working my way through the first KOTOR since the second one is broken for me. I get to a certain point where my party is meant to be in cages but instead they're standing around and trying to talk to one activates some cheat node where I can go back to a certain conversation I've had twice so far. This is the GOG.com version of KOTOR 2.
hm weird, did you try looking at their forums to see if anyone else had this issue?

does the GoG version have the restored content mod already installed with it? (I can't remember if they did or not.) If so, that should hopefully fix all your issues.

are you running any other mods? I love the kotor 1 and 2 mods, but sometimes certain combinations are just lethal to the game.

OT: I started off thinking "holy shit, I either don't like or don't play any of these..." and then the list drastically went up on things I like to replay over a nice holiday.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
I was just about to start another KotOR 2 playthrough with mods (played through 1 earlier this year).
KotOR 1 is one of my two favoritest RPGs in history of everness (the other's Oblivion).

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I've avoided those I don't fancy and played those that I do.
Even replayed some a few times and some once a year.

Seeing how The Witcher has had it's mechanics altered I might give it another chance.
If only Reviewers and Lets Player's talked some more about the actual interface between Man and Machine in a game.
Things like cam/viewpoint, geared towards controller or mouse & keyboard, input response, etc.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I wanted to like Dishonored, I really did, but after a while I just felt like I was playing a boring Thief mod. (And then I got the Thief reboot and quit a short while in because I felt like I was playing a boring Dishonored mod. Circles!)

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
I still vehemently maintain that Knights of the Old Republic II is the best piece of Star Wars media ever made. It completely deconstructs the traditional Star Wars mythos and focuses on a much darker, more personal story (rather than saving the galaxy), and has a grey tone rather than the traditional light vs dark.

The fact that The Old Republic MMO was allowed to follow it up kills me.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Rabish Bini said:
I still vehemently maintain that Knights of the Old Republic II is the best piece of Star Wars media ever made. It completely deconstructs the traditional Star Wars mythos and focuses on a much darker, more personal story (rather than saving the galaxy), and has a grey tone rather than the traditional light vs dark.

One can only imagine how great the game would have been had it been finished. But it's an Obsidian game, expecting them to finish it on time is asking too much from them.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Zontar said:
Rabish Bini said:

One can only imagine how great the game would have been had it been finished. But it's an Obsidian game, expecting them to finish it on time is asking too much from them.
Alas, you are correct. Even with the Restored Content Mod, it can't entirely fix the third act, where the endless stream of combat and empty halls goes against the entire design of the game up until that point.

Obsidian's games are notoriously buggy, but from what I heard Lucasarts were pushing them to have it complete in time for the holidays? That couldn't have helped.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Rabish Bini said:
Zontar said:
Rabish Bini said:

Alas, you are correct. Even with the Restored Content Mod, it can't entirely fix the third act, where the endless stream of combat and empty halls goes against the entire design of the game up until that point.

Obsidian's games are notoriously buggy, but from what I heard Lucasarts were pushing them to have it complete in time for the holidays? That couldn't have helped.
The issue is Obsidian has always been terrible at picking contracts for games because they underestimate their weaknesses and overestimate their strengths. Pretty much every case of them screwing up, with KOTOR2 and New Vegas being the most notorious examples, are a result of them going into a contract because they thought they could do more then they actually could in the time they had.

People love to blame Lucasarts and Bethesda for those two games scandals, but Obsidian knew full well what was expected of them in what time frame in both cases and elected to take up the contracts anyway.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Zontar said:
The issue is Obsidian has always been terrible at picking contracts for games because they underestimate their weaknesses and overestimate their strengths. Pretty much every case of them screwing up, with KOTOR2 and New Vegas being the most notorious examples, are a result of them going into a contract because they thought they could do more then they actually could in the time they had.

People love to blame Lucasarts and Bethesda for those two games scandals, but Obsidian knew full well what was expected of them in what time frame in both cases and elected to take up the contracts anyway.
Yeah that makes sense and I've heard that a few times also. Which is a shame, but I can't begrudge Obsidian purely because the writing in their/Black Isle's games was so damn good, something which I feel there needs to be more of.

I've always described KotOR as the first one being a classic, and the second one not, but that the second comes so agonisingly close to being a masterpiece, if it didn't have so many issues.
And the less said about the MMO the better.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
GALACTIC CIVILIZATIONS 3 IS NOW ON GOG!!!

So, yep, there goes that whole damn list.
Also, Civ5:BNW has been out as well.

Those two games are my kryptonite while I stand under red sun in Kyrnn.

Fare well, mine friends.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008

Mafia: City of Lost Heaven

..because it's still one of the absolute best written and engrossing singleplayer stories ever made. I try to replay it once every year

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
doom series
no one lives forever 2
dino crisis
resident evil
ago of empires 2
duke nukem 3d
mass effect series
rainbow six vegas 2
myst series

Nergui

Dec 13, 2013
Only one new game in that list and all of them were triple-A. There are some great single player indie games.
Age of Decadence [http://store.steampowered.com/app/230070/]
Cities: Skylines [http://store.steampowered.com/app/255710/]
Divinity: Original Sin [http://store.steampowered.com/app/373420/]
Endless Legend [http://store.steampowered.com/app/289130/]
Legends of Eisenwald [http://store.steampowered.com/app/246760/]
Sunless Sea [http://store.steampowered.com/app/304650/]
UnderRail [http://store.steampowered.com/app/250520/] (different game to Undertale, but...)
Undertale [http://store.steampowered.com/app/391540/]
Satellite Reign [http://store.steampowered.com/app/268870/]

Ok, that's nine, but there are a lot more.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
The Walking Dead is done in 7 hours max. Doesn't cover much time.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Man, you guys just have got to stop splitting these lists on each page. Please let us view all of it on one page. I usually skip these because they're split across multiple pages for no good reason. Well, we know the reason; that doesn't need to be brought up.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I sometimes wonder how I managed to get through so many games in the past.

A list like this wouldn't have phased me at one time but now?
I'd be lucky to get through two over the holiday, let alone make anywhere near a respectable dent in a list of eight (with sequels stuck on for good measure).

I know that time hogging bastard 'adult responsibility' has eaten a big chunk of my game time but even then, I'd swear I used to get a lot more done in comparatively less amounts of time.
Maybe there's just more dithering and wandering around to be done in the games I'm playing now.
Maybe I've blunted what little focus I had and I'm actually wandering around these games like I've lost my slippers.

Well, fortunately this list isn't going to require my attention given most of them were played on release.
As such I can get back boston and back to digging in dumpsters looking for lightbulbs and coffee cups.
I think there was something to do with a son at one point but somehow along the way I've ended up as a community manager and janitor for an irradiated distributed commune.