The Escapist's Best Games of 2015

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
The Escapist's Best Games of 2015

There were a lot of good games that came out in 2015. Narrowing down the list was an interesting task, but we did it. Check out our nominees.

Read Full Article

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ugh Undertale I find that game ridiculously saccharine and overly prententious.

And before anyway bashes me I watched the Noah Antwiler's aka The Spoony One's Stream of the game and its just meh.

And I bothered to watch the bad ending and it was increadibly corny and breaking of the 4th wall because its hip.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:

And before anyway bashes me I watched the Noah Antwiler's aka The Spoony One's Stream of the game and its just meh.

And I bothered to watch the bad ending and it was increadibly corny and breaking of the 4th wall because its hip.
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/26757131.jpg

Seriously, it's not that big of a deal.

OT: Pretty decent list we got this year. I need to remember to actually play my copy of Witcher 3

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Damn fine list.

Man, Splatoon and Undertale managed to do something to me that no other games beside Smash have been able to do for years, maybe even a straight decade: they truly made me feel like a little kid again. Going back to that time when I was like 12, when I was deeply and earnestly (almost unhealthily) captivated by video games. I haven't been able to get the two off my mind since I've played them, and my face lights up at the mere mention of them. Really good stuff.

I still need to get around to Bloodborn and Skylines. Especially Skylines. That game, from what I've seen is one of the better examples of a game developed by those with a pure, unbridled love for the craft and their fans. You can practically see it radiating out of the damn thing.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:

You beat me to the punch, I share the same opinion. I watched playthroughs, looked at art and listened to the OST in my spare time and there's just something about it that I can't seem to like. I think it's the character designs or maybe I just feel like OFF did everything better; they're almost the same game when you get down to the bare bones. Good OST, quirky, lovable cast, fourth wall jokes, 8-bit graphics and an underlying unease throughout the game that maybe not everything is as it seems.

OFF is free though and IMO the much more entertaining game and Undertale just seems like OFF with some extra stuff that somehow makes it worth ten bucks.

OT: ....Just occurred to me that I haven't played ANY of the games on that list because I don't have a next-gen console and while I own Undertale, I haven't played it for reasons stated above. So, uhm, er... Uh GOTY goes to, er... Taaaaales from the Borderlands! Yeah, that's it! And, uh.... Iinnnnnsssert some other game that came out this year that I played as a runner up! OH King's Quest 2015!

Yeah? Yeah? ...No? Well.... not all of us can afford next gen shit so.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I'm still missing out on a few of these, but of the ones I have played, Bloodborne, Rocket League and Undertale are it for me.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Spider RedNight said:
Samtemdo8 said:

You beat me to the punch, I share the same opinion. I watched playthroughs, looked at art and listened to the OST in my spare time and there's just something about it that I can't seem to like. I think it's the character designs or maybe I just feel like OFF did everything better; they're almost the same game when you get down to the bare bones. Good OST, quirky, lovable cast, fourth wall jokes, 8-bit graphics and an underlying unease throughout the game that maybe not everything is as it seems.

OFF is free though and IMO the much more entertaining game and Undertale just seems like OFF with some extra stuff that somehow makes it worth ten bucks.

OT: ....Just occurred to me that I haven't played ANY of the games on that list because I don't have a next-gen console and while I own Undertale, I haven't played it for reasons stated above. So, uhm, er... Uh GOTY goes to, er... Taaaaales from the Borderlands! Yeah, that's it! And, uh.... Iinnnnnsssert some other game that came out this year that I played as a runner up! OH King's Quest 2015!

Yeah? Yeah? ...No? Well.... not all of us can afford next gen shit so.
Out of curiosity, could you expand on the similarities you see between OFF and Undertale? Not trying to attack you for having a different opinion, I just honestly don't find many similarities between them. I actually didn't really care for OFF - It seemed... art house-y, if you know what I mean.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Top games of 2015, brought to you by Bethesda and CDProjekt.

If you don't like fighting games, you're out of luck. People who raise their eyebrows at our continuous attempts to establish games as art must be laughing right now.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Decent list, though Legacy of the Void is the only one I've played off it. Glad to see it here.

In the realm of "why is x not on the list, insert rant here," my personal contributions would be Heroes of the Storm (yes, laugh it up) and although I've only seen playthroughs, I'd personally nominate Tales from the Borderlands.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Hmmmmmm... 3 have me interested. Witcher 3. On it. Metal Gear. Doh. I bought but have not really even gotten into the last 2 console versions. Splatoon... My nephew loves it. I should play just to have some online time with him and my brother in law.

Caramel Frappe said:
League of Legends) .
Fine. You got me. Giving it a try. Dooooh I usually hate stuff like this.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
I take page 3 of this article please! All four games there are great!
And I admit, I can't say anything about the other, because I played none of them! And sorry, I don't care!

But for these "League Of Legends" people here: How can a game released in 2009 be your GotY? It's custom that you select a GotY from the current year! SC2 also only is "allowed" (IMHO) on this list, because of the expansion and that they basically overhauled the whole game.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
hmm. there weren't many good games this year.. just a few.. and the only game on the list that I've played was mortal Kombat X.. and it was just ok.. the only good games this year were Batman Arkham Knight, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Dead or Alive 5 Last Round, and as a honorary mention, the surprisingly fun in short bursts, unapologeticly perverted hack and slash Onechanbara Z2: Chaos

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Caramel Frappe said:
Let me know if you want to hook up. I'm on the North Server, with the username CaramelxFrappe.
I'm Gorfias. I did a game just now. Not certain what the overall goal was, but it was fun. Reminds me a little of Torchlight.

ChaoGuy2006

Sep 6, 2014
erttheking said:
Samtemdo8 said:

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/26757131.jpg

Seriously, it's not that big of a deal.

OT: Pretty decent list we got this year. I need to remember to actually play my copy of Witcher 3
Same here. I loved the sound track and the 4th wall breaks were cool, but it wasn't GOTY good IMO. Saying otherwise in some places almost feels like I'm gonna get lynched. (Not here though it seems).
As for the best of the year, while I was buried in a lot of old games, I must say I loved Splatoon. I hope Nintendo try more new stuff.

Geisterkarle said:
I take page 3 of this article please! All four games there are great!
And I admit, I can't say anything about the other, because I played none of them! And sorry, I don't care!

But for these "League Of Legends" people here: How can a game released in 2009 be your GotY? It's custom that you select a GotY from the current year! SC2 also only is "allowed" (IMHO) on this list, because of the expansion and that they basically overhauled the whole game.
It almost needs to be blacklisted since it's basically owned by TenCent now, and those guys do dodgy stuff (apart from LoL being sold with PandoBooster in it- a bot net- TenCent is famous for modifying games from outside China, selling them in China, then claiming it was the foreigners who stole their work.)

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
ChaoGuy2006 said:
Same here. I loved the sound track and the 4th wall breaks were cool, but it wasn't GOTY good IMO. Saying otherwise in some places almost feels like I'm gonna get lynched. (Not here though it seems).
It's because for as uppity as this site can be sometimes, we're generally pretty cordial... in both ways.

There are certain fans out there that will tear you apart for even passively talking bad about Undertale. Conversely, from my experience at least (with stuff like MLP, Smash Bros Brawl or certain anime), the only reason they tend to do that is to act as a pre-emptive strike, since people tend to be dicks when they're sick of hearing about something they don't care about all over the place. Said people get exasperated being forced to pay attention to this particular thing or hearing it being praised too much when they feel it doesn't deserve it, so they tend to give off a embittered and confrontational tone when they talk about it, be it intentionally or unintentionally. Then fans lash out in defense and will eventually start yelling at everybody if pushed long enough.

Escapist are full of people that are pretty hard to please, but they'll usually articulate their unpopular opinions in a way that doesn't make you want to punch them in the face with their own dismembered fist.

...Usually.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Samtemdo8 said:

You would more likely to be bashed for watching it instead of playing it. But your comment made me wonder something: if being hip is a bad reason to break the 4th wall, what would be a good reason?