Oculus Touch Controllers Delayed to Second Half of 2016

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Oculus Touch Controllers Delayed to Second Half of 2016

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1025/1025397.jpg

"We appreciate your patience and promise Touch will be worth the wait."

It was announced today [https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/update-on-oculus-touch-ship-date/] that Oculus' Touch motion controllers have been delayed until the second half of 2016.

"On the path to perfecting Touch, we've decided that we need more time before release, and we'll now be shipping Touch in the second half of 2016," the statement reads. "Pre-orders will open a few months prior to launch."

The delay will not affect the Rift, which is still expected to ship in the first quarter of 2016. The statement says that preorders for the Rift will open "very soon."

The company also promises that "a huge amount of ground-breaking new content" will be launching alongside Touch.

"The feedback on Touch has been incredibly positive, and we know this new timeline will produce an even better product, one that will set the bar for VR input," the statement concludes. "We appreciate your patience and promise Touch will be worth the wait."

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Ishigami said:
I just need the headset for my driving games (Assetto Corsa).
Elite Dangerous is where it's at.

Tell someone else that there's a tattoo on the Imperial Clipper's passenger seat and watch them bending to all kinds of funny angle trying to find it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Not a bad call to make as they have no idea how many people will buy and use their headset at all, launching a support peripheral into the unknown would be quite a gamble.
Also no mention of price, I presume it's intentional since the base kit will already scare people away.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
VR with controllers and not an awkward peripheril will be fine, thank you.