The Hateful Eight - Hate out of Ten (Happy New Year!)

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
The Hateful Eight - Hate out of Ten (Happy New Year!)

The Hateful Eight is the 9th film by Quentin Tarantino, and it's another talky, violent success.

Read Full Article

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
My pick for best of the year. Jennifer Jason Leigh deserves best actress.

Surprisingly shot very traditionally. Hardly any camera movements compared to his other stuff. The dialogue wasn't as sharp, but super interesting. It's like Tarantino's version of Clue.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
It's a very simplistic movie, especially where camera movement is concerned, when compared to his other films. So much that this could easily be a play rather than a full-on movie. It really did feel a lot like watching a play, especially with the narration.

It's a good film, the acting is fantastic, and the dialogue is as well-written as one could imagine, but for reason, I didn't like it as well as any of his other films, not even Inglourious Basterds, which I considered to be his weakest film until this one. That doesn't make it bad at all, and it's not like I was hoping for a climax like Django, I guess I just didn't feel like I had enough time to get to know the characters well enough to care all that much about them.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
Well, remember, its not his originally intended vision, because the first script had been leaked.

I still like Jackie Brown the least. His best is True Romance.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I just saw it today. I liked it, but as soon as the action started, I felt empty. The end felt anti-climactic. But I did enjoy the humor, the door bit was pretty good. And Jackson had one line that made me chuckle out loud. Too bad I can't remember it enough to quote it whilst still having it make sense.

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
I guess I'm glad the rest of the world is liking this more than I am?

I wonder if seeing this the day after THE REVENANT killed any chance I had at not being blown away by a somewhat similar period piece, but the whole thing just felt bland and... I want to say "masturbatory", but that's the only word to describe anything Tarantino's ever directed, and usually I'm fine with it. Now I'm not sure if I'm just bored or if this was weaker than usual.

I'm usually the first to defend Tarantino as a great writer (if just an adequate director), but this just felt like a lot of left-over ideas from Django Unchained that didn't ultimately do much. It has a couple great moments, but nothing here is on par with Django, Kill Bill or Reservoir Dogs.

The only thing that made me cheer was hearing a track from the late David Hess on the soundtrack - not gonna' lie, the use here is better than the film it was written for (Wes Craven's Last House on the Left) - but I doubt anyone else in the theater knew or cared what the song was. Tarantino already stole a shot-for-shot bit for "Basterds", too, so it's not like he's even branching out to lift from new material.

I was happy I got to see a 70mm print, but so much of the film is the camera just sitting there on a single set that the novelty wears off pretty quickly. Pity, since even Django had a lot of striking exteriors that are largely lacking here. The comparisons to a play are fair, but hardly flattering.

Jackson's monologue about you-know-what is pretty great, but that alone shouldn't be the highlight.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
This is a near perfect movie. The only issue I had was the physical abuse that Jennifer Jason Leigh's character had to endure. It broke the "show, don't tell" rule of movies. We were told she was vicious and ruthless. We didn't see it outside of her provoking other people into getting mad at her. Then again, the men hitting her are referred to as "The Hateful Eight". Not the warm, fuzzy, bleeding-heart, lovable eight.

Honestly, this seems like what a western would look like if it was directed by Alfred Hitchcock. (If Alfred Hitchcock ever directed a western, let me know. I would want to see that.) The Hateful Eight is a very suspenseful mystery with a lot of vicious, dark humor and bigotry. Again these people are called The Hateful Eight. It does allow people to engage in deeper issues that the movie brings up like the death penalty and racism.

Marter gave this movie 8 out of 10. Let me get one more rating point out of the basement. I'll give The Hateful Eight a 9 out of 10.

lastcigarette

Mar 18, 2010
This movie was terrible. It was Freddy Got Fingered levels of bad. Ridiculous 6 was a better movie.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eh, it was a fine movie with good acting. But it ultimately felt pointless to me. It was actually the most interesting up until the shooting started for me. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time wondering what was gonna happen.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
I tried to like this movie. I can't tell what it is supposed to be. It failed as a whodunit--there wasn't enough to go on. It failed as a character exploration piece--pretty much everybody was a terrible person. (Perhaps that is the point.) It failed as a "heist" movie--there wasn't much clever thinking by anybody.

I like Tarantino films. But I walked away from this one with 2:45 of my life gone, trying to figure out why any of it happened. I liked the side story about the Lincoln Letter. I liked O.B. as the one redeemable character in the whole story.

But I had so many logic questions (Some minor spoilers below, so view with caution):

1. Why do you start your shooting spree when a person is outside the building?
2. Why do you say "I don't need help with the horses"? Other than just to arouse suspicions against you...
3. Why do you show a jelly bean? There's nothing that can be figured out from this.
4. Why do you have a hangman's business card?
5. Why hide outside the room?
6. I cringed a bit at the story Jackson's character sold to Confederate General Smithers about his son. It took me completely out of the time period.
7. Why throw gun parts in the crapper? Why not just hold on to one piece of each? Too harsh on OB.
8. How do you go from fumbling the first few notes to playing proper chords?
9. You've already punched her in the face many times. Why not just tell Daisy to east with her left hand?
10. Why be nice to a bunch of folks first before being complete assholes?
11. Why buy peppermint sticks when you could just take them?
12. How did the bodies get loaded on the stagecoach in the first place?
13. Why do actors choke up on hammers so damned much? Frontier folk could swing a damned hammer.
14. Jackson spotted a bean on the floor. Where was the wet spot from the coffee that Nash poured out 15 minutes earlier?
15. Why down the well? A blizzard is coming and you may need water during the anticipated 2 days snowed in. Wouldn't "in the snow" be just as effective?

My favorite characters were the ones that lived.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
KissingSunlight said:
It does allow people to engage in deeper issues that the movie brings up like the death penalty and racism.
Well sure. In the same way Transformers 2 allows people to bring up discussions of racism and over-sexualization of children's movies by including two offensively stereotypical 'Mexican' Transformers, persistent upskirt shots, and a Decepticon with a scrotum made of wrecking balls dangling between its legs.

This film offers nothing to the discussion of racism and violence in todays culture. Just because a writer injects racist/sexist characters or excessive violence into their story it doesn't mean the story automatically adds to the discussion.

lastcigarette said:
This movie was terrible. It was Freddy Got Fingered levels of bad. Ridiculous 6 was a better movie.
Hey now. At least Freddy doesn't have anyone defending it...[footnote]In all seriousness, Hateful Eight is a good film. It has it's faults but the worst you can say of it is that parts of it were just "adequately made".[/footnote]

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I found it to be mostly forgettable myself and it was also 30 min too long in my view.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Vigormortis said:
KissingSunlight said:
It does allow people to engage in deeper issues that the movie brings up like the death penalty and racism.
Well sure. In the same way Transformers 2 allows people to bring up discussions of racism and over-sexualization of children's movies by including two offensively stereotypical 'Mexican' Transformers, persistent upskirt shots, and a Decepticon with a scrotum made of wrecking balls dangling between its legs.

This film offers nothing to the discussion of racism and violence in todays culture. Just because a writer injects racist/sexist characters or excessive violence into their story it doesn't mean the story automatically adds to the discussion.
No, I don't mean silly outrage over choices made in a bad movie.

There were scenes in The Hateful Eight that specifically addressed the death penalty (Tim Roth's speech about the importance of a hangman.) and racism (The Lincoln letter).

I don't know what to say beyond making assumptions about how you watched this movie or your philosophy about topical issues. All I can say is, obviously, I got more out of this movie than you did.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
KissingSunlight said:
No, I don't mean silly outrage over choices made in a bad movie.

There were scenes in The Hateful Eight that specifically addressed the death penalty (Tim Roth's speech about the importance of a hangman.) and racism (The Lincoln letter).

I don't know what to say beyond making assumptions about how you watched this movie or your philosophy about topical issues. All I can say is, obviously, I got more out of this movie than you did.
I suppose, like most Tarantino films, view mileage will vary.