Creepy Photos and Epic Plot Details Leak From Godzilla: Resurgence

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Creepy Photos and Epic Plot Details Leak From Godzilla: Resurgence

Could this be the return to form that Godzilla has been long overdue for?

With 2014's Godzilla grossing nearly $530 million on a $160 million budget, it's safe to say that the King of the Monsters is back with a vengeance. As such, Toho announced plans back in August [http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3356330/godzilla-terrifying-thanks-japans-cutting-edge-special-effects/] to bring the franchise back to Japan for the "biggest Godzilla yet," which would "take on new challenges that the previous ones haven't attempted."

How does Toho plan on accomplishing this? By bringing in special effects master Shinji Higuchi to direct, for starters, who in turn promised to use the cutting-edge techniques he brought to the Attack on Titan movie to make Godzilla "more terrifying than ever before."

Of course, words are just words. Lucky for us, the first behind-the-scenes images from Godzilla: Resurgence managed to find their way online yesterday. Check 'em out.

[gallery=5318]

Well that's...pretty goddamn creepy. Is anyone else getting a Spawn vibe from this, oddly enough?

The reaction to the leaked photos has been a bit muted so far, but there's more! [http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/01/04/godzilla-resurgence-plot-details-learn-why-godzilla-looks-so-messed-up], the reason Godzilla looks the way he does in said photos has to do with a key element of the plot that, true to Toho's statement, has never been done before in a Godzilla film. (SPOILERS BELOW)

So when we first see Godzilla in the film, he is going to be a burnt-out and scarred monster, which is what we see represented in these photos. But he won't look like that the whole film. Like some of his foes before him, Godzilla will actually change as the film progresses. I've been told that by his third form, he should look like a much more standard Godzilla.

We still don't know if Godzilla is going to fight other monsters or end up being a good guy. But I have heard that this new suit is way bigger than normal, almost twice the size of an average person, which is very exciting.

So yeah, it would appear that Toho is pulling out all the stops for Godzilla: Resurgence, and if the final product looks anything like Attack on Titan did, then it's gonna be pure nightmare fuel.

Godzilla: Resurgence hits theaters July 29th, 2016.

Source: MovieWeb [http://movieweb.com/godzilla-resurgence-photos-monster/]

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
I can't claim to be too much more than a basic level Godzilla fan. I know a heck of a lot more about the series than the average American does, at the very minimum, but not too much more, since most of my knowledge was obtained about 15 years ago. And on that stand point.... I'm not sure how I feel about this. Shaky cam's never exactly been a big win, the new suits honestly looks less scary and more like he's got a bad skin condition, and last I heard the Attack on Titan movie was crap.

Then again, I was willing to give the last American movie we had my money, and it turned out to be one of the most boring movies I've ever seen, so it can't be too hard to improve on that...

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
wow it's probably going to work better in action and camera tricks but that Godzilla suit just looks wrong especially the arms. there is so tiny.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
The closest I get to liking Godzilla so far is everything that doesn't come from Japan.

I can't help but to find "suitmation" really lame.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I've never even thought of godzilla as scary or creepy; he's been the good guy too many times in my life (plus that cartoon I watched when I was little...).

Still, that face is pretty terrifying. No matter what the next movie does, I doubt it could be as boring or as big of a waste of star power as the last one.

(Oh god, I went to youtube to watch that actual teaser and saw there's a trailer for another megan fox ninja turtles: my eyes!)

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
While it has a creepy face, I'm not a fan of that desiccated husk of a body. He looks like he's been on meth for twenty years, and hasn't drank an ounce of water in five.

Maybe it's the American in me, but I loved the bruiser/bear-lizard look of 2014's Godzilla and this one looks iffy. Of course, as a Godzilla fan, I still think the original movie and the '85 movie are the best, so I hold out hope this one will at least be interesting... Albeit with a methhead as the monster.

Edit: Just re-read the quote in the article. Whoops, egg on my face. Still, this is all hearsay for now so I hope that quote is right because I can't take that skeletal Godzilla seriously.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The trailer is bad and the suit is bad in some specific aspects.

The only thing going for both is that it has a nice uneasing vibe, but gets ruined by the trailer not going a bit of an extra mile and showing something to justify the panic and the suit having a lot of issues

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Oh man, those tiny arms are hilarious. He kind of looks like a terrible version of the original G.

I hope the shaky-cam won't be heavily featured in the movie.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
flying_whimsy said:
Still, that face is pretty terrifying. No matter what the next movie does, I doubt it could be as boring or as big of a waste of star power as the last one.
They forgot to mention who the other writer/director was.

It may be good, or it may be bad, but I don't think anyone can say it won't be interesting. I'm looking forward to the scene where Godzilla has to go save the world, but then he has an existential crisis instead.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
i wouldn't say creepy, i'd say goofy. the design looks nothing like godzilla.. at all.. he looks like badly done mighty morphin power rangers monster lol

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Whoa, that's a scary lookin' monster.
Not gonna lie, I saw the first poster and thought he looked a little silly, like he stepped on something and was like "Whoa, you okay?"
I'm a big fan of this, Big G hasn't been scary for a while, if he moves right in the movie, he's gonna be a walking nightmare.
And you know, he'll probably look cooler in action, most Godzilla movies look stupid behind the scenes. Well, some look stupid in front of the scenes to but you get the point.

You know, and this is just a thought, and it was probably implied so call me an idiot if it was, but I'm thinkin' these pictures are shortly after the H-Bomb testing.
"He was baptized in the fires of the H-Bomb."
"burnt out and scarred"
Like I said, I'm probably re-stating what's already been said but I like the idea of this monster coming up after an H-Bomb test as if to say "Look what you've wrought."

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
He looks so bad....

I never thought the Japanese would make me go "Huh... well... comparatively speaking... the new Godzilla is better looking"

I think I just puked in my mouth a little.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
OK, in action and after pos-production it will look much better. Already looks creepy as heck.

The idea of Godzilla suffering from the radiation that created him in the first place is great. No wonder he's so pissed at humanity.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
And 4.0 (or 3.0+1.0, or whatever it's called now) will just take that much longer to come out. I mean, don't get me wrong, consensus seems to be that 3.0 was a trainwreck, but I'd love to at least see it through to the end.

Anyway, I've never been a huge Godzilla fan, but these shots look kind of cool. I might have to give it a watch when I get a chance... I don't think I've seen a Japanese Godzilla movie since Final Wars. That one almost seemed more like a parody than anything.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Mahorfeus said:
I don't think I've seen a Japanese Godzilla movie since Final Wars. That one almost seemed more like a parody than anything.
It's because there hasn't BEEN a Japanese Godzilla since final wars. Final Wars was the last movie made before they purposefully shelved Godzilla for a decade. It was a homage to basically every Godzilla movie before it, for that reason.

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I rather wait for another American Godzilla. Purely from a visual point of view, the 2014 Godzilla was eye candy when it showed the Big G walking amongst smoke and shadows.