Ancient Greeks Used Snakes as Projectile Weapons

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
Ancient Greeks Used Snakes as Projectile Weapons

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1026/1026893.jpg

A once-lost species of snake, used by ancient Greeks as a projectile weapon, has been recently re-discovered on Sicily.

Now, let's get one thing out of the way. The real story here is that a species of snake, once thought lost in most parts of the world, has re-appeared. That's great, it really is. Hooray for biodiversity!

That being said, let's sit back and ponder the Javelin sand boa's place in history: the ancient Greeks used them as projectile weapons, hurling them onto enemy boats in order to sow confusion and panic before boarding. I am going to go out on a limb (sorry, snakes) and guess that the animal's name is not coincidence.

As the reptiles proved to be an effective weapon, the Greeks brought these snakes with them to places they settled, including what is now Sicily. Talk about an invasive species. Right? Sorry.

Now, Microsoft is still publishing expansions for Age of Empires II [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126913-Age-of-Empires-II-Receives-First-Official-Expansion-in-14-Years]. Surely we can get some snake-based naval warfare technology in the next expansion, right? Even better: an FPS set in the classical era where you are armed with nothing but a boa & arrow!

Source: Ansa [http://www.ansa.it/english/news/science_tecnology/2015/12/31/javelin-sand-boa-discovered-in-sicily_3e7edf15-5c51-4441-98c5-402d39c825ee.html]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
PatrickJS said:
Even better: an FPS set in the classical era where you are armed with nothing but a boa & arrow!
YOU ARE BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD.

OT: To be fair, between having to dodge an arrow or a snake, I think I'd rather dodge the arrow.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh gee, I wonder how they became extinct? (Sarcastic in case you couldn't tell).

Also yeah, I can easily see projectile snakes being a scary and effective weapon.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Or they simply mastered the Sticks to Snakes spell from D&D and threw actual javelins that became snakes...

Blinktv

Nov 24, 2013
That's pretty cool. Good job ancestors I am probably too loosely related to to be associated with.

Jadedvet

Jul 1, 2013
The article is worth a look. They used both venomous and harmless snakes (like this one) as projectiles. It was brilliant plan really; once word of Greeks throwing vipers onto ships spread around, they could throw easier to handle snakes and enemies would head for the water all the same.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Jadedvet said:
The article is worth a look. They used both venomous and harmless snakes (like this one) as projectiles. It was brilliant plan really; once word of Greeks throwing vipers onto ships spread around, they could throw easier to handle snakes and enemies would head for the water all the same.
It would have been amusing for them to start bringing herpetologists in order to reduce turnover rates.