The Forest - New Year, Same Old Crappy Horror

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
The Forest - New Year, Same Old Crappy Horror

The Forest had the potential to be more than just another bland horror movie, but it took the path most traveled and wasted that potential.

Read Full Article

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
Seems like we're getting a good start to Fuck You It's January. With Star Wars still in the theaters I don't expect anything even just halfway average to slip through except for The Revenant, which I don't why its being released now.
The Revenant is an Oscar Bait film, and a lot of those get a very limited release in December, eg. a couple of theatres in Los Angeles and maybe New York to get in just before the cut off date for the Academy Awards, and go for a wider release in January if they generate a lot of Oscar buzz.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Sounds like they took the old Despair Squid from Red Dwarf and tried to crowbar the concept into a serious horror film... not actually a bad idea, shame they couldn't put it off right.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I know it can't just be me who sees it, but Natalie Dormer has these huge bug eyes, right?
Supernova1138 said:
MarsAtlas said:
Seems like we're getting a good start to Fuck You It's January. With Star Wars still in the theaters I don't expect anything even just halfway average to slip through except for The Revenant, which I don't why its being released now.
The Revenant is an Oscar Bait film, and a lot of those get a very limited release in December, eg. a couple of theatres in Los Angeles and maybe New York to get in just before the cut off date for the Academy Awards, and go for a wider release in January if they generate a lot of Oscar buzz.
We've been getting Award-bait movies the last two months now, some of them nominated for Golden Globes before they even were released.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The idea here is that the forest itself will cause you to hallucinate, and people who go in there with sadness in their hearts will be lured into killing themselves. So the forest is greedy?
Soooooo it's 1408 but in a Japanese forest rather than a hotel room? Yeah...1408 was utter crap too, not surprised this one turned out to be shit.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
piscian said:
I rewatched 1408 recently because I dig John cusack and I couldn't remember why it was so forgettable. same problem, 1408 had an extremely good premise and the first 30 minutes or so genuinely made you think it might end up being pretty unsettling. Then it's just a boring monster jump scare suck fest for the remainder. Those kind of movies leave you even more disappointed than shitty movies that are just crap all the way through.
Yeah, 1408 had a decent enough start, but it starts getting a bit old rather quickly. Then the room goes and spoils what little it had going by admitting that it has no power to actually harm - let alone kill - him and that it's just waiting for him to kill yourself...and that's when the movie just gets stupid. Basically it means he's just stuck in a bad acid trip. I'd just get bored with it, like "Oh what, you're going to "torture" me with my dead kid again? Pffft. Have room service bring me a sandwich because I'm hungry and you can't starve me to death because that would be killing me yourself."

You could totally make that room your *****. :p