Guillermo del Toro Assures us Pacific Rim 2 Has Not Been Cancelled

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Guillermo del Toro Assures us Pacific Rim 2 Has Not Been Cancelled

"Don't believe everything you read."

Well here's a happy surprise, put on indefinite hiatus [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/pacific+rim+2], may still be alive out there. Director Guillermo del Toro just posted the following Tweet regarding the film's status:

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/686670931520057344]

So according to the man behind the wheel, the ship is still afloat. It's certainly good to hear that no matter what happens, he will stick with it in one way or another, as I have no doubt his unique style is what helped to make the original Pacific Rim such a cult classic.

Before Legendary and Warner Bros. put the sequel on indefinite hold, it was scheduled for a 2017 release. Filming was to start last November [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141709-Pacific-Rim-2-Gets-Title-Shooting-Date].

The film was shelved reportedly due to a difference in opinion between Legendary and WB. Despite the movie obviously being awesome, it didn't do too well in the US, which is why WB is hesitant for a sequel. However, in China, where Legendary is heavily invested, the movie performed extremely well.

Either way, lets hope that del Toro can work through this and get the film back on the ground!

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/686670931520057344?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw].

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013

I wonder if this has anything to do with his latest project being a critical failure while Pacific Rim had a moderate level of success. Here's to hoping it turns out well.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"China's Dalian Wanda buys Hollywood studio Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 billion"

This happened today! So since PR did so well in China I think this is a boon for the development of PR 2.
And I want PR 2 SOOOOO bad!!!!! :D

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Oh man, a world without Pacific Rim 2 is not a world that deserves to exist.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Kenjitsuka said:
"China's Dalian Wanda buys Hollywood studio Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 billion"

This happened today! So since PR did so well in China I think this is a boon for the development of PR 2.
And I want PR 2 SOOOOO bad!!!!! :D
That's actually an absolutely terrible piece of news. Hollywood is already far more comfortable with China then should be legal, now a studio of the size and calibre of Legendary Entertainment is effectively one of their companies (and AMC theatres already is, which means America's largest theatre chain can't show their movies due to anti-trust laws)?

If there is a world that is a good piece of news, it is not this one.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Well I guess this is good news, it would have been nice if he'd actually said if there was a filming date or something rather than just a "Yeah, we're still talking about doing this sometime maybe". I wasn't exactly a fan of the first film but it was a series I wanted to see more of though, so here's hoping they do a better job this time.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
That's a shame, because after what del Toro said about the police recently, I'm not going to spend any of my money on anything he makes, unless he issues an apology.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
That's a shame, because after what del Toro said about the police recently, I'm not going to spend any of my money on anything he makes, unless he issues an apology.
Out of curiousity, what did he say? I googled "Guillermo Del Toro police" and nothing controversial came up.

Anyway, somewhat interesting the movie did so well in China, considering the Chinese Robot dies in like 5 seconds. Did it do well in Russia too?

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:
Out of curiousity, what did he say? I googled "Guillermo Del Toro police" and nothing controversial came up.

Anyway, somewhat interesting the movie did so well in China, considering the Chinese Robot dies in like 5 seconds. Did it do well in Russia too?
Something about police being murders in relation to the black lives matter movement, though I might have the wrong big name director or something. I know there is some reason I'm boycotting del Toro.

MetalheroDamien

Blackwing Hybrid Hero
Mar 25, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:

Something about police being murders in relation to the black lives matter movement, though I might have the wrong big name director or something. I know there is some reason I'm boycotting del Toro.
Pretty sure you are confusing Del Toro with Quinton Tarantino.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
MetalheroDamien said:
Ihateregistering1 said:

Pretty sure you are confusing Del Toro with Quinton Tarantino.
You're right! Thank you. Sorry for the confusion everyone! I'm kinda tired at the moment so my brain is a bit scrambled.

Now I need to remember what I'm mad at Del Toro for.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
hollywood should realize that the rest of the world counts too, not only the US alone. are they really so blind? hey, the movie sucks in the US so we dont spend money on it, regardless how well it did around the world.

anyway, great news for sure. looking forward to some mind numbing monster vs. robots fights. or as the "honest trailer" said so nicely:
the dumbest awesome movie or the awesome dumbest movie of the year.

cant agree more.

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
Guillermo, please, por favor, por el amor a dios, let a good writer work in the script this time, you are an excellent director with a fantastic visual flair and style but you and your pal are NOT good writers.. (further proof: The Strain book and tv series)

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Every time PR2 news comes out I say the same thing. The first one was boring and dumb as hell. I actually felt bad I brought friends to see it. If a 2nd one gets a release I won't make that mistake again

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I'll admit, after the hype for this tweet wore off, I remembered who was saying it and that this doesn't mean anything.
But I don't care, any news is good news.
Unless it gets cancelled, in which case I will be wrong.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Pacific Rim was a major disappointment. Why can't he just make Hellboy 3 or a Lovecraft adaptation, given just about everything he does seems to have something Lovecraftian in it. I thought he was going to make an "At the Mountains of Madness" adaptation years ago. I don't want Pacific Rim to be some kind of Transformers franchise. How many other directors do monster flicks like him? And all that will go to waste on robots and kaiju that we barely even get a good look at over spraying water and shitty camera angles?

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
sneakypenguin said:
Every time PR2 news comes out I say the same thing. The first one was boring and dumb as hell. I actually felt bad I brought friends to see it. If a 2nd one gets a release I won't make that mistake again
Then why bother posting at all? Just ignore it.

Also: That's just like, your opinion, man.