New Rick & Morty Game "Pocket Mortys" is Exactly What You Think it is

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
New Rick & Morty Game "Pocket Mortys" is Exactly What You Think it is

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1175/1175668.jpg
In Pocket Mortys, prove that you are the Rickest Rick by collecting and training your own team of Mortys.

Rick & Morty [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/highdefinition/11404-The-Show-You-Should-Be-Watching-Rick-Morty] was one of the biggest surprise hits from Adult swim in 2014, with its off-beat, over-the-top bizarre humor managing to fill the hole Futurama left in the wacky adult cartoon landscape. The bad news is that Season 3 still doesn't have an air date, but the good news is that you can now amuse yourself with the first official Rick & Morty mobile game: Pocket Mortys.

Available as a free download for both iOS [https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.turner.pocketmorties], Pocket Mortys is exactly what it sounds like. You play as Rick, on a quest to become the best (that ever was) Morty trainer, by collecting and battling different Mortys from across the galaxy.

"Join Ricks throughout the multiverse as they get swept up in the latest craze: Morty training! There are over 70 bizarre Mortys to recruit and train out there, including Mustache Morty, Wizard Morty, Cronenberg Morty and more. Assemble a dream team, then challenge rival Ricks by forcing your grandsons to battle each other. Command, combine and level up your Mortys to prove that you're the greatest Morty trainer of all space and time!"

[gallery=5420]

The game is essentially one giant Pokemon parody, but given the source material, that's absolutely brilliant. From my experience, the pay-2-win mechanics aren't too overbearing (paying real money simply allows you to get more of the game's in-game currency), and it's feasible to complete the entire game as a free player.

If you're a Rick & Morty fan, you'll definitely want to give this one a try!

Source: iOS [https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.turner.pocketmorties]

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I am a huge Pokemon fan and huge Rick and Morty fan so take as many grains of salt as needed when I say that this game scratched both itches fairly perfectly for me. Feels great and although it has some simple parts it feels like a full game. They don't flash the F2P stuff in your face, and I'm not sure when it'll really become important but I read on the destructoid review that he didn't feel like anything was unattainable unless you spent cash.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Kinda clever by making Morty as the Pokemon (since anyone that watched the shows knows about the multiverse). That way they didn't had to rush making the game (or maybe they were too lazy).

Great now I want to see Rick singing a Morty version of the Pokemon theme as a karaoke!

EDIT- Oh gee, imagine trying to do EV training with a Morty? It would messed him even more than usual!

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Just installed it, and loving it!
The music is great; season two's killer hits so far!!!
Very well done atmosphere is what I'm saying! :D :D :D

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Whoa whoa woah Noah...This looks like the only F2P mobile game i'll ever download! Thankyouuuuu escapist! I ...err mean Steven? Bogos? Is that escapist etiquette? Well nevermind, time to Rick annnd downloadyroll!

JSRevenge

Sep 23, 2014
Steven,

This is not the first mobile game from Rick and Morty! You're forgetting Jerry's Game!

For shame!

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
OrijinalDreamin said:
Denamic said:
Can you breed Morty for maximum Morty?
You can breed certain Morty's together: it's how the game handles evolutions.
But they're all...

They're chi-...

They're all ma-...

I just...

Rick clearly knows no bounds.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
"Uh, ah, jeez, Rick, this seems kinda unoriginal, like, kinda- kinda a ripoff of a certain beloved, long-running franchise, you know?"

"Shut up, Morty, this totally un*burp*related to that property. It's a- it's a completely n-new concept, with absolutely nothing in com- oh, hey, check it out, I got a shiny Morty! It's like, like a regular *burp* Morty, but it's shiny. Th-that makes it way better than any of your Morties."

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
I like it, the only thing that sucks is the f2p thing, I would much rather pay 10-15 quid and just play it as a normal game. As it is, all the items are too expensive which makes it hard to actually stack up on anything. And a Morty freeing itself from catching it is really annoying considering the price and the amount of grinding it takes to get the shmekels for it.
But yeah, if it updated and had an in game purchase to unlock the game and content and rework its balancing to not be a f2p I would get it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
So how do you get more poke-chips or whatever they're called, you know for catching? I'm not seeing them for sale on that one citadel shop.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
So how do you get more poke-chips or whatever they're called, you know for catching? I'm not seeing them for sale on that one citadel shop.
You have to craft them:
Super charged battery + circuit board + can
You get the super battery by first combining a battery with the super turbulent creme.

You can also buy them for 500 shmekles once you get a couple of badges.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dead Metal said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
You have to craft them:
You get the super battery by first combining a battery with the super turbulent creme.

Thank you! That seems an awfully roundabout way. I guess that's where F2P syndrome kicks in, since money isn't that easy to come by.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Dead Metal said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
You have to craft them:

Thank you! That seems an awfully roundabout way. I guess that's where F2P syndrome kicks in, since money isn't that easy to come by.
No prob, the weird thing with the F2P model here is that you can't buy currency, you earn it by watching commercials, but you only get 35 per commercial. So you'd have to sit through 15 commercials just to buy one chip. So anyoing. There comes a point where you just grind till you black out and repeat that multiple times till your Morties are powerful enough to carry on and you have enough money to actually be able to afford all the potions and crystals you need to get through a level. Oh and capture other morties.