Kylo Ren Goes on Undercover Boss to See What People Really Think of Him

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Kylo Ren Goes on Undercover Boss to See What People Really Think of Him

Disguised as a radar technician named "Matt", Kylo Ren goes undercover on Starkiller Base.

Proving that he has an amazing sense of humor, Adam Driver, the man behind Kylo Ren's mask, has appeared in a Saturday Night Live skit parodying the popular reality show: Undercover Boss.

The skit follows Driver, as Ren, going "undercover" on Starkiller Base. He assumes the role of a lowly radar technician named "Matt" to see what his Stormtroopers really think of him.

It's absolutely hilarious, and features moments such as Ren writing a rainbow filled apology card for killing an employee's son, Stormtroopers talking shit about Ren's physical prowess, and pretty much everyone realizing that "Matt" is Ren almost immediately.

Driver's acting in this is absolutely flawless, and it really makes you believe that this is actually Kylo Ren somehow thrown into an episode of Undercover Boss. It's all the nuanced little details, like his signature little twitches and incredibly short temper.

Source: Saturday Night Live [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaOSCASqLsE]

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
You think Disney gave SNL a list of guidelines on how to design the sets?
Kinda off topic but considering their hard-ons for brand management, that sounds so much like something they would do :p

Nothing else really to add, aside from thinking it's awesome that the actor agreed to do this.
Kylo Ken got a lot of shit for being "Emo" and whatnot, but I actually rather like what they were doing with him, bit more interesting then just making him a carbon copy of Vader.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
How the hell am I supposed to watch the sequel now? This will still be in my head. I am cursed with great memory.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
Kylo Ken got a lot of shit for being "Emo" and whatnot, but I actually rather like what they were doing with him, bit more interesting then just making him a carbon copy of Vader.
Kylo Ren is what Anakin should have been had Lucas not messed up the writing of Anakin entirely. With Kylo Ren you can believe that this impulsive, wroth young man really is falling to the dark side and you can clearly see why, whereas Anakin mostly whined and whined and whined and then he killed some Tusken for some reason, then he got good but had a life crisis due to vivid dreams and totally decided to slaughter some kids. Had Anakin had Kylo's characterization (and Christiansen even half of Driver's acting chops), it would have been a great arc from angry, impulsive padawan to most terrifying person in the galaxy. Let's hope Kylo Ren gets the arc that Anakin should have had.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
How the hell am I supposed to watch the sequel now? This will still be in my head. I am cursed with great memory.
Just think of it as canon... cannon? Canon Camera.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Gethsemani said:
Diablo1099 said:
Kylo Ren is what Anakin should have been had Lucas not messed up the writing of Anakin entirely. With Kylo Ren you can believe that this impulsive, wroth young man really is falling to the dark side and you can clearly see why, whereas Anakin mostly whined and whined and whined and then he killed some Tusken for some reason, then he got good but had a life crisis due to vivid dreams and totally decided to slaughter some kids. Had Anakin had Kylo's characterization (and Christiansen even half of Driver's acting chops), it would have been a great arc from angry, impulsive padawan to most terrifying person in the galaxy. Let's hope Kylo Ren gets the arc that Anakin should have had.
Anakins fall makes so much more sense if you watch the Clone Wars series. Its a lot more gradual fall than the movies make it out to be.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
That was awesome!!! :D
And his lightsaber (sword, really) DOES look super menacing.

What more do you want in a weapon when you're an evil guy who dresses all in black?

Hadesshade

Jan 11, 2013
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Well, balls. Can't Australia ever get nice things?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
"I'm 90% sure that Matt is Kylo Ren."

How did he see through that disguise? It was foolproof!

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Hadesshade said:

No worries, us Canadies are also left in the dust. I hear this SNL skit is awesome but alas, I live on the wrong side of an arbitrary line in the dirt. *ka-sob*

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Gethsemani said:
Diablo1099 said:
A little Off-Topic, but to be fair to Christiansen, I'm not sure he's entirely to blame for his performance. It's not like many of the other actors gave awe-inspiring performances. It's honestly amasing how Lucas managed to get so many otherwise good actors and get absolutely nothing from them.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
The Rogue Wolf said:
Hadesshade said:
No, because nice things get eaten upon arrival by your VAST MENAGERIE OF NATURAL HORRORS.
And on this weeks "What the Hell Australia?" we have the stinging nettle from hell, the gympie gympie plant [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrocnide_moroides] also known as the suicide plant with a story that one man shot himself rather than endure the pain. The toxin is potent enough to kill humans, dogs and horses.

OT:
I couldn't watch this all the way through I was cringing so hard. Is undercover boss usually that cringey or was this just playing it up?

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
TrulyBritish said:
A little Off-Topic, but to be fair to Christiansen, I'm not sure he's entirely to blame for his performance. It's not like many of the other actors gave awe-inspiring performances. It's honestly amasing how Lucas managed to get so many otherwise good actors and get absolutely nothing from them.
My brother worked in the crew on Eps II and III and he said the actors spent the entire time frustrated and confused because Lucas really seemed to see them as annoying things getting in the way of his beautiful effects.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Hadesshade said:

Me, as soon as I hit play. Think I'll go play with my Funnel Web instead.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Halyah said:
IamLEAM1983 said:
Hadesshade said:

No worries, us Canadies are also left in the dust. I hear this SNL skit is awesome but alas, I live on the wrong side of an arbitrary line in the dirt. *ka-sob*
It isn't available in Norway either. So its more like arbitrary lines in the dirt, ocean -and- snow.
And yet it's available in Switzerland!? Damn that's random, who's deciding where this shit is available?

Anyway, on the video: I enjoyed Adam Driver as silly Kylo Ren at least twice as much as I enjoyed him as serious Kylo Ren.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Flatfrog said:
TrulyBritish said:
My brother worked in the crew on Eps II and III and he said the actors spent the entire time frustrated and confused because Lucas really seemed to see them as annoying things getting in the way of his beautiful effects.
That explains a lot and makes perfect sense. I mean he'd spent the 20 or so years between original trilogy and prequels basically building ILM and not much else, pioneering all kinds of VFX type stuff but doing little in the way of writing and directing actual movies. I can see how that would mess with his priorities.
You just need to compare Samuel L. Jackson's performance in the prequels to almost any of his other movies and it's nowhere near as good--we know he's a great actor which means the blame lies with the director.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Flatfrog said:
TrulyBritish said:
Lucas never struck me as a people person, so that's not surprising. You can see in a lot of behind the scenes stuff he seems really uncomfortable around people.