CCP CEO Talks Interplay Between Dust 514 and EVE

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
CCP CEO Talks Interplay Between Dust 514 and EVE

Though its recently announced MMOFPS Dust 514 is planned to be a stand-alone game in its own right, CCP CEO Hilmar Petursson discussed how the game would intertwine with EVE's twisting interplanetary alliances.

When CCP unveiled MMOFPS Dust 514 at GamesCom earlier this month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93956-EVE-Online-Creators-Unveil-Mysterious-Dust-514], many reacted with... well, confusion. The developers were adamant that this would be a game in its own right, but also held firm that it would take place in the constantly changing universe of EVE Online. But how would that be possible for two radically different games to play off of each other?

German blog Gamona [http://www.gamona.de/] caught up with CCP CEO Hilmar Petursson at GamesCom to talk about how the two games would interact, and it's a very interesting watch. Says Petursson, Dust will be a MMOFPS with strategic elements in which players take on the role of a mercenary who can take jobs from people in EVE Online in order to help planetary conquest: As the space battles rage overhead for control of the planet, so too will the fight on the surface.

Given how ever-changing and volatile the system of alliances between corporations and players can be, it'll be interesting to see how adding another element to the mix - FPS skill, and presumably another group of players who can backstab you - will shake things up. It's certainly a tremendously ambitious concept, though I can't even begin to wrap my brain around the difficulties of the matter.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I never got around to playing EVE..
shame, it looks like a good game.

And when I read the title I thought it said OCP
= robocop time.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Says Petursson, Dust will be a MMOFPS with strategic elements in which players take on the role of a mercenary who can take jobs from people in EVE Online in order to help planetary conquest: As the space battles rage overhead for control of the planet, so too will the fight on the surface.
Why do I get the feeling that it's going to look very similar to Sony's Planetside, but with updated graphics and physics and whatnot?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Amnestic said:
Says Petursson, Dust will be a MMOFPS with strategic elements in which players take on the role of a mercenary who can take jobs from people in EVE Online in order to help planetary conquest: As the space battles rage overhead for control of the planet, so too will the fight on the surface.
Why do I get the feeling that it's going to look very similar to Sony's Planetside, but with updated graphics and physics and whatnot?
Almost, but I think it will be more of a MMO with more exploration, I guess.

Delicious

Jan 22, 2009
Amnestic said:
I can only hope. Planetside is on its last server as of a few days ago.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
O wow...a console MMOFPS and a pc sandbox MMORPG (thé sandbox MMORPG no less) merging together in 1 big universe? I....I think I just nerdgasmed. Really, if they manage to pull this off, good gods, am I dreaming? I mean, the trailer already looked good on it's own, but if they really link those 2 games together well, this will be epic, and that's an understatement.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Abedeus said:
Amnestic said:
You think developers would have learned to "promise less, deliver more" by now...

Not to say these guys won't deliver...just that they should keep their mouths shut until the things actually ready to launch.

Also...I wonder how gold farmers will work together across these two games...

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
hansari said:
Abedeus said:
Amnestic said:
You think developers would have learned to "promise less, deliver more" by now...

Not to say these guys won't deliver...just that they should keep their mouths shut until the things actually ready to launch.

Also...I wonder how gold farmers will work together across these two games...
Thing is, they've been working on this for the past three years, and CCP has a very successful history with EVE; I would play no other strategy economics spaceship sim. That, and the world's most powerful computer system behind them.

I would also not in the least bit be disappointed if this was Planetside-esque with gorgeous new graphics, 'cause Planetside was the shit.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Amnestic said:
I... thats a bad thing?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Amnestic said:
I... thats a bad thing?
If I wanted to play Planetside, I could just play Planetside. If they make it all shiny and new and different then it's fine, but if it's just a game built off of Planetside's skeleton...well, I won't be nearly as interested as I thought I was.

Planetside's enjoyable, don't get me wrong, but why buy Madden 09 when Madden 08 is almost identical? That's my thought process at the moment anyway. I'm willing to be proven wrong. I'd like to be proven wrong in fact. I just don't think I wil be.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
5:05 [Translation] We are the Blizzard of europe. Be patient.
I'm actually very excited about this. I love eve. This gives me a chance to still be in the universe, even when my corps isn't doing anything right away.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
Amnestic said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Amnestic said:
I... thats a bad thing?
If I wanted to play Planetside, I could just play Planetside. If they make it all shiny and new and different then it's fine, but if it's just a game built off of Planetside's skeleton...well, I won't be nearly as interested as I thought I was.

Planetside's enjoyable, don't get me wrong, but why buy Madden 09 when Madden 08 is almost identical? That's my thought process at the moment anyway. I'm willing to be proven wrong. I'd like to be proven wrong in fact. I just don't think I wil be.
You're still basing all of your bitching and pessimism on one three to four minute presentation with no real rhythm to it, and a purposely vague five-minute interview. I mean, don't think you're the first to have doubts; some of the rage on the EVE boards are hilarious, but so far all he's said is that you can buy big f*cking trucks, big f*cking guns, and your lack of ability translates to some mysterious extent into a game about spaceship empires.