Long War Studios Is Working On Several XCOM 2 Mods

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Long War Studios Is Working On Several XCOM 2 Mods

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1025/1025203.jpgThe creators of XCOM: Long War have partnered with Firaxis to create several XCOM 2 mods for its February launch date.

When Long War Studios <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165698-Terra-Invicta-Is-A-New-Game-From-XCOM-Long-War-Creators>announced its new game, Terra Invicta, the immediate reaction was crystal clear: "So you're not making Long War for XCOM 2?" Considering the team's original XCOM: Long War mod was a huge success for Enemy Unknown, the reaction is understandable. But it might be unfounded: In a recent blog post, Firaxis announced a new partnership with Long War Studios, who are producing several XCOM 2 mods <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/previews/15226-XCOM-2-Preview#&gid=gallery_5346&pid=1>that will launch alongside the core game.

Outside of being a great way to get Long War Studios' content into XCOM 2, this is a perfect way to advertise mod support. Firaxis is on the record as saying mod support was a missed opportunity for Enemy Unknown. So what better way to promote the new system than having professionally-made mods available at launch?

The question now is what mods Long War Studios is working on, since Firaxis is saving those details for another announcement. The original XCOM: Long War overhauled almost every element of the core game - increasing your tactical options, granting the alien invaders their own research tree, allowing even more soldiers to participate in missions, and much more. If Long War 2 isn't in the cards, these mods might offer individual components of the original so fans can assemble a custom Long War of their own.

[gallery=5478]

The other option, albeit an unlikely one, is that Long War Studios have been working on an official sequel alongside Firaxis that will be available when XCOM 2 launches in February. But even if we don't get Long War 2 right away, XCOM 2's mod support means we'll probably see something like it soon.

Source: <a href=https://xcom.com/news/en-long-war-studios-preparing-xcom-2-content-for-launch>XCOM, via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-01-21-long-war-team-are-making-mods-for-xcom-2>Eurogamer

Newage

Aug 21, 2014
XCOM 2 won't be released in March, but on the 5th of February.

Unless I missed something, but it's still listed as 5th of February on Steam.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Newage said:
XCOM 2 won't be released in March, but on the 5th of February.

Unless I missed something, but it's still listed as 5th of February on Steam.
Nope, you're correct! It's been fixed, thanks.

Nov 28, 2007
Honestly, after having experienced Long War for myself...I don't know if I really want a Long War 2. Some of the changes are great, don't get me wrong, and the mod itself was very well done. However...It got frustrating very quickly, especially the mission I'm currently working on. Frustration is to be expected of course, but when the frustration comes from being swarmed by large groups of enemies when you barely have any cover available, that's a bit annoying.

In other words, I'm fine with them making mods, because they know what they are doing. I'm even fine with a Long War 2, provided they tone down the size of the mobs. It gets frustrating when the difficulty comes from not the fact that the enemies are that much stronger, but simply from the fact that you are getting attacked by 4 drones and a Cyberdisc at the same time, and you have no real cover available.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
This is hugely exciting news. Perhaps the only dim spot on XCOM 2's mounting luster was the fact the Long War team had formed their own studio and would not be providing mod content. Long War is widely (and rightly) regarded as the creme de la creme of challenging tactical game play, and this in spite of the fact that XCOM 1 is woefully unsuited to the marathon campaigns the mod engenders. Coupling that design ethos with XCOM 2's randomized maps and the removal of the tedious air war and you've got the recipe for something truly special. Will have to wait and see what they've done, and how much, but the original Long War wasn't much more than a system of .ini tweaks, and XCOM 2 was built to be extremely mod friendly. We're talking about extending the life span of the game by hundreds, possibly thousands of hours.

Good exposure for their budding studio, and good on Firaxis for partnering with a future competitor to help make the game the best it can be.

thebobmaster said:
In other words, I'm fine with them making mods, because they know what they are doing. I'm even fine with a Long War 2, provided they tone down the size of the mobs. It gets frustrating when the difficulty comes from not the fact that the enemies are that much stronger, but simply from the fact that you are getting attacked by 4 drones and a Cyberdisc at the same time, and you have no real cover available.
You can actually make those changes yourself. You can change all kinds of values in the game's config file. Don't like Long War DR levels? Feel Chrysalids get too many HP? Want to bump the funding for Nigeria? It's all moddable.

I generally leave it alone, but I've toned down the air war aspects, because it's not fun at any difficulty, and I hate it.

Schtimpy

Oct 29, 2013
Awesome! Long War was amazing, and they clearly understand XCOM. I hope they can fit some balancing in there, we're going to get a bunch of "long war" mods where people just add OP things. Having two extra soldiers is a big power boost, not to mention new abilities or classes. They actually have the experience to balance it.

Unless they're just doing some Long War themed content or something, in which case, still awesome. Give me a heavy skin with either a gatling gun OR a grenade launder. I always thought it was weird that one guy carries around the 2 heaviest weapons.

thebobmaster said:
Frustration is to be expected of course, but when the frustration comes from being swarmed by large groups of enemies when you barely have any cover available, that's a bit annoying.
I've watched some preview streams, and the maps are a lot bigger and more open than the previous game. The cover is based on the Randomizer, but is usually plentiful, definitely more than EU. At least you're not going to have to push into an alley with a 2 spot dumpster and a crate.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I'm currently trying Long War again as prep for X-com 2 coming out. Usually I never seem to get much beyond the first time I attack a landed ship, but this time I'm a few months in with only loosing 1 person (until the last mission I did last night where I lost 3 to Chrysalids, Long War has made them a threat again).

I will have to play X-com 2 a couple of times through before I want to start modding it, but I do look forward to a fully supported Long War 2 mod if that ever comes about.

Apr 5, 2008
I love reading these stories. It's not dissimilar to the story of Bohemia Interactive and Day Z. When developers go to these lengths to involve reputable, quality modders, everyone wins. We get a better game, better mods, the modder gets recognition, endorsement and/or money and the dev gets a better product and more good will, support and customers.

This is a sequel to a great, great game, made a good company and with some input from great modders. I can't wait to play it and see all the changes, improvements and of course, mods :) Kudos to Firaxis and Long War team :)