Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Apologizes for Newest Game

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Apologizes for Newest Game

"I got too eager to show the things that were finished, that I neglected to pay attention to the things that weren't."

Despite giving a release date of February 19, Five Nights at Freddy's creator Scott Cawthon now penned an apology on the game's Steam page [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166033-Five-Nights-at-Freddys-World-Releases-Early#&gid=gallery_5484&pid=1], stating that this is the first time he feels that he's released a game before it was ready.

"You know, I've been accused of rushing my games ever since FNaF 1, but I've never felt that I'd released a game too early... until now," Cawthon wrote. "There are a lot of features that this game should have had before release, features that I was told about, but ignored and didn't implement. Features such as being able to see what abilities do during battle, or being able to see a stats page for your characters. These are features that any good RPG would have."

"I got too eager to show the things that were finished, that I neglected to pay attention to the things that weren't."

Cawthon has promised to fix the issues with the game, adding updates with the above features "in the coming weeks."

"So I say this to a community that I've enjoyed and respected for over a year and a half now- I'm sorry," Cawthon continued. "I will continue to add features to the game and make it right."

[gallery=5484]

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Whatever your opinion of the FNAF games, I think its respectable that he's willing to admit his fault and endeavor to do better.

However! I watched Jim Sterling play this game, the constant flashing and movement started to annoy my eyes and I'm pretty sure it can agitate someone's epilepsy

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'm of the mind he's earned enough goodwill that a mistake of rushing release isn't going to sour the fanbase. Especially since he did exactly what pretty much all AAA publishers fail to do and own up to his screwups, publicly and in a timely fashion with absolutely no jargon that sounds like a half-assed apology wrapped in language that somehow implies the customers are actually at fault.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
And if a triple A studio did this, everybody would flip their shit and go bananas about how they're driving the games industry into the ground.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
....Has anyone even had time to complain about this stuff? Dudes fast on the turnaround in acknowledging he could have done it better, which does lend to the impression he's legitimately sorry about it.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
So can someone explain to me why an independent developer can do this but a major player cannot?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Micah Weil said:
So can someone explain to me why an independent developer can do this but a major player cannot?
For once, the game isn't broken - he just wasn't fully satisfied with the release.
Second, he stated that after about one day, not one week or one month.
So I think everyone could get away that way.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Tomorrow's headline: "Scott Cawthon To Release Six Free DLC Packs In Apologies For Early Release - All Available Later This Afternoon"

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Areloch said:
....Has anyone even had time to complain about this stuff? Dudes fast on the turnaround in acknowledging he could have done it better, which does lend to the impression he's legitimately sorry about it.
Actually early word from youtubers and reviewers is that the game is.......pretty terrible. :p

Don't know if their complaints have anything to do with it being rushed by Scott's perspective, though he does say there's features that were intended that didn't make it into the final game, so it might have something to do with why people are currently crapping all over it.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Just watched Jim Sterlings video and by god that looks bad.
I mean I didn't play the Fnaf games anyway, since I am not a horror fan, but all of them looked well made, their mechanics worked well and, at least from what I saw on the Internet, they contained a lot of hints towards a greater intruiging backstory. I didn't like them myself, but it was clearly evident why others did and they seemed very well made.
This is just bad. Practically no rpg-mechanics, pathetic fighting system, ugly graphics, generic looking menus and buttons. It just all looks cheap and not good. I mean good for Scott to admit he did it wrong, but I honestly don't see this turning into a good game, not matter how much longer he spends working on it..

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Areloch said:
I've checked out the steam store page for FNAF World and while it's got over-all positive reviews, the first several are all negative and most of them mention the lack of details when it comes to what attacks do and stats and whatnot.

---

Like everybody else seems to have said, it's something of an oddity that Scott is willing to own up to a mistake rather than release the fix as a post-launch patch or DLC. I was going to wait until this game went on sale before I got my copy but it looks like I have a bit more of a reason to continue waiting. Although the Squirty-Play I saw of it did reinforce my hype for this release...I loves me some RPGs...

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Areloch said:
Well I was reading the reviews on steam and its mostly positive. Those who don't like seem to be the types who didn't like FNaF in the first place, with less than an hour on record for this game. I'm guessing they just want to post negative reviews.

But the positive ones seem perfectly happy with the game. Very little in the way of bugs seem to be reported.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Silentpony said:
Those who don't like seem to be the types who didn't like FNaF in the first place, with less than an hour on record for this game. I'm guessing they just want to post negative reviews.
Which means that they actually paid money to buy the game just so they could trash-talk it on Steam. Which is hilarious.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The Rogue Wolf said:
Silentpony said:
Those who don't like seem to be the types who didn't like FNaF in the first place, with less than an hour on record for this game. I'm guessing they just want to post negative reviews.
Which means that they actually paid money to buy the game just so they could trash-talk it on Steam. Which is hilarious.
Some of them even say they have never liked FNaF and don't get the appeal of any of it. Yet they still bought the game, played a little bit, reviewed it and presumably refunded it.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
aegix drakan said:
A developer going "My bad, I released it too soon and I'll fix it, I'm so sorry"?!

...Wow. That's a rarity these days.
I may be overlooking potential sarcasm here but I'd say it isn't exactly rare given all the screw ups we've seen this past year alone. The developer actually doing something about it is the rare part.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
"Features such as being able to see what abilities do during battle, or being able to see a stats page for your characters."

Yeah I hear those are kind of important bro. xD

I love this guy. I really do. Cawthorn comes off as such a nice person, and even though I'm not a FNAF fan myself a success story like his can't help but be inspirational, but my stars! He is a prime example of somebody who needs to be working with a team to keep him under control, because he quite clearly operates on a creative level than is not quite in this dimension.