Final New Splatoon Map Marks End of Free Content Updates

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Final New Splatoon Map Marks End of Free Content Updates

Splatoon's free content updates have officially come to an end.

Last week, Nintendo's inky shooter Nintendo has confirmed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/splatoon?os=%20splatoon] that Splatoon's free content gravy train has left the station.

Check out the map, which features "PC-fan shaped propellers that can be inked to move portions of the floor" in action below:

[gallery=5491]

"Also, this will be the last of the new stages to be added," wrote Nintendo. So now we have confirmed that no new weapons or stages will be added, it stopped short of confirming that balance, outfits, or Splatfest updates would come to an end.

However, we can probably assume that Splatoon-post launch support is starting to wind down, and we won't really see anything else major from the game.

Source: Official Splatoon Blog [http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/137721043834/a-new-stage-ancho-v-games-is-joining-the]

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
It seems like they keep going out of their way to say that this is the last XXX to be added, weapon, then stage.

I still think we've got 1 more big update left, probably for E3, with a new game mode, gear and maybe playable octolings.

I also expect splatfests to continue.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
Honestly, considering the amount of free updates and content that they've given us, I'm actually more or less fine with the, what 3 pieces of weapons that are just reskins of the first 3 weapons, 3 minigames that keep entertained in the 30 seconds max of waiting in the lobby, and the 9 pieces of clothing out of what may be anywhere between 500 and 100, that were locked into Amiibo.

This is how DLC should be: the bulk of the content should be available in game, including new weapons, gear, and places to fight; the core gaming experience is solid enough that even Yahtzee can approve of it. Then a bunch of extra content is offered via entirely free updates, bonus content up the wazoo: more new weapons, more new gear, more new places, and entirely new modes, as well as upgrades to the earlier modes and balance fixes.

If you do all of that, enough to make the basic purchase worth it by itself, at least once everything is installed and updated and what have you, then having a few additional-optional-nommandatory pieces that one pays money for is not entirely the evilest thing in the world. The amiibos themselves might be a bit expensive, admittedly, but between them usually having token in other games as well, on top of being cute figurines that some find fun to collect, and the content they offer being not needed to play the game, I think that's fine.

Then again, I'm one of the mad mother-fuckers who went out of his way to purchase every single Smash Bros related Amiibo so I could train with them and use them in tournaments, so maybe I'm not the best judge.