Warner Bros. Announces Blade Runner Sequel

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Warner Bros. Announces Blade Runner Sequel

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1261/1261412.png

Though it's been rumored for years, it looks like we will finally see a follow-up to Blade Runner, for better or for worse.

Ridley Scott's Blade Runner is more than just an all-time classic of the Sci-Fi genre, it's a triumph of filmmaking in general.

Directed by Ridley Scott in 1982 (and based on Philip K. Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"), Blade Runner not only nabbed a pair of Academy Award nominations upon its release, but has since been selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and was named "The 2nd most visually influential film of all time" by the Visual Effects Society in 2007.

And now, it will be getting a sequel, reports Bloody-Disgusting [http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3377746/blade-runner-sequel-officially-announced-will-begin-filming-july/]:

An announcement was made today that Warner Bros. Pictures will distribute Alcon Entertainment's follow-up to Ridley Scott's 1982 masterpiece Blade Runner here in the States, with Sony handling all of international.

Hampton Fancher (co-writer of the original) and Michael Green have written the original screenplay based on an idea by Fancher and Ridley Scott. The story takes place several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 original.

Now, before you freak out about yet another soulless Hollywood remake/sequel stomping all over your childhood, wait until you get a load of the talent involved: Prisoners and Sicario director Denis Villeneuve has signed on to helm the picture, with Ridley Scott serving as executive producer. Ryan Gosling will reportedly star, and Harrison Ford will also be returning to reprise his role as Rick Deckard.

Principal photography on Blade Runner 2: Electric (Sheep) Boogaloo (unconfirmed title) is set to begin in July.

And the best (or worst, depending on where you stand) part? Villeneuve's Blade Runner will only be the first of several proposed prequels and sequels intent on expanding the universe of Dick's novel and the original film.

Having just gotten around to seeing Blade Runner -- the theatrical cut, unfortunately :( -- I can't say I'm opposed to the idea. Sure, the sequel will be fighting an uphill battle when it comes to surpassing or even being held in the same light as the original, and Rutger Hauer's villain is absolutely irreplaceable, but if Blade Runner 2: Cool Runnerings (another wholly original working title from yours truly) can produce even one moment as great as the "Tears in Rain" speech, wouldn't it all be worth it?

Source: Bloody-Disgusting [http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3377746/blade-runner-sequel-officially-announced-will-begin-filming-july/]

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014

For Pete's sake, NO. That (Final Cut) ending is perfect. No need to continue. Deckard's story was over.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Villeneuve's Blade Runner will only be the first of several proposed prequels and sequels intent on expanding the universe of Dick's novel and the original film.
So so sick of reading variations of this sentence for what seems like every movie.

Let's stop calling these bloody things films or movies or cinema, let's call them what they are - Big Screen Television, part whatever of a series that will be continued ad nauseum until the dead horse is beaten into a bloody smear on the ground. I'm sick of it and it makes me yearn for Marvel to have its first big box office bomb so that the entire industry will stop trying to be them with all this expanded universe crap.

Oh, and this film will not live up to Blade Runner and everyone knows it.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Well... this might complicate the replicant theory. I forgot which answers Scott and Ford are currently going with, but one good thing is this film might set the answer in stone.

Still, I rather not see another finished story be dusted off to have something tacked on. Scott could have thrown old that awful Prometheus script triple rewrote mess. I'm especially worried they might try to "action it up," and/or simplify plot elements, for the sake of easier translations for the international markets.
Sixcess said:
Villeneuve's Blade Runner will only be the first of several proposed prequels and sequels intent on expanding the universe of Dick's novel and the original film.
So so sick of reading variations of this sentence for what seems like every movie.

Let's stop calling these bloody things films or movies or cinema, let's call them what they are - Big Screen Television, part whatever of a series that will be continued ad nauseum until the dead horse is beaten into a bloody smear on the ground. I'm sick of it and it makes me yearn for Marvel to have its first big box office bomb so that the entire industry will stop trying to be them with all this expanded universe crap.

Oh, and this film will not live up to Blade Runner and everyone knows it.
Ooooh, yeah. I don't like that line of turning into a cinematic franchise either.

They're probably doing this "Big Screen Television" (Good name, BTW) because familiar names are all that can draw the big crowds in today. If they actually tried to compete with TV, streaming and waiting for home releases, say by not raising ticket prices to astronomical levels and not pushing out the stupidest rewrites of potentially good scripts, Cinema might not need this crutch.

I can't really judge if Blade Runner 2: the Replicationing may be a rare decent movie out of all of this. I sure don't have high hopes, though.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
008Zulu said:
Given the numerous and varied endings, which one will the movie be following off?
That would be my question too, because then I guess we'd know what the "true" ending really was, and won't that piss people off.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Obviously this is because:

Harrison Ford feels a need to die as all his old characters

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Well, I can live with this, provided two things remain true:

1: They actually attempt to expand upon the universe K. Dick created in the novel, exploring new ideas, rather than just endlessly rehashing the Replicant story.

2: They DON'T go with Ridley Scott's original plan to have Blade Runner and the Alien franchise take place in the same universe.[footnote]Seriously...what the ever-loving-fuck was Scott thinking?[/footnote]

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Goes without saying I think this is a terrible idea. The Director's Cut was pretty much completely perfect - shot for shot, line for line, note for note - so its legacy doesn't deserve to be tampered with or reframed. What's wrong with a single work of art being, y'know, singular? Can another Blade Runner really ask bigger or better questions - in as beautiful/bittersweet a way - as the original? No, no it can't/won't...

Gosling's an obvious choice to go for, though, what with his glassy eyed more-Replicant-than-Replicant look.

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
Vigormortis said:
2: They DON'T go with Ridley Scott's original plan to have Blade Runner and the Alien franchise take place in the same universe.[footnote]Seriously...what the ever-loving-fuck was Scott thinking?[/footnote]
That was going to be a thing?!

Tbh, sounds kind of cool.

The replicants are a bit like androids after all?

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Anyone who wanted more Blade Runner stories watched Total Recall 2070.
This was not a problem that needed solving.

Besides, notice how Ridley ISN'T directing? Yeah, the Martian gave him a career again. He doesn't need to do this now.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
This is a reminder to everyone bitching that it's not destroying the first movie by having a sequel. You don't have to see the sequel. No one is coming to take your original movie away. It's not like this is a real universe and somehow making another movie actually harms the characters.

Fucking aye. The way people treat media is fucking scary.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh...wonder how many people working on this weren't even born when the first came out?

But yeah, lets ruin something else.

Isn't there some more YA book franchises to adapt?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Cool, another opportunity for Harrison Ford to...

... get a paycheck for killing off another trademark character.

Watch out, Indy.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
SaneAmongInsane said:
This is a reminder to everyone bitching that it's not destroying the first movie by having a sequel. You don't have to see the sequel. No one is coming to take your original movie away. It's not like this is a real universe and somehow making another movie actually harms the characters.

Fucking aye. The way people treat media is fucking scary.
Actually it kind of destroys a big part of the ending by having a sequel with Harrison Ford, sure, the character would still have his doubts about who he is at the end of the first movie but the audience would know for sure.

moosemaimer

Apr 14, 2011
Vigormortis said:
2: They DON'T go with Ridley Scott's original plan to have Blade Runner and the Alien franchise take place in the same universe.

Deliberate insertion, or lazy effect re-use? You be the judge.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i really love the first movie. lost count how many times i have seen it.
at the moment i see it with a neutral mind at it. it could be good but it could suck big time.