Fallout 4 Mod Adds New Vegas-Style Traits

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Fallout 4 Mod Adds New Vegas-Style Traits

Miss Fallout: New Vegas's trait system? There's a mod for that.

One of the more controversial decisions during Fallout 4's development was the removal of Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 3's trait and skill system, instead streamlining everything into the new "perk" system. Not happy about it? Well guess what, there's a mod for that!

Traits and More Perks [http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8802/?], from modder Cirosan, seeks to add some of the more popular traits from New Vegas and other past Fallout titles back into Fallout 4. It also goes ahead and adds a few new perks for good measure. Check it out below:

[gallery=5516]

Because of the way the mod has been built, you'll have to go through a little bit of a work-around to activate the new traits. Players will have to craft an item at a chemistry station, which once consumed, adds the new trait.

Cirosan says a lot of this mod is proof-of-concept, so you can hopefully expect even more traits and perks to be added in the future.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-mod-adds-new-vegas-traits/1100-6434149/]

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Who's Miss Falout? She Middle Eastern, or did you put a typo in the second word of the first line of your article?

Thanks for the news of the mod, though.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Finally, the bits of the best NuFallout game start to get ported into the worst NuFallout game.

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
I wonder what the Wild Wasteland trait will be? Perhaps making every enemy a legendary enemy?

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Dr. McD said:
vallorn said:
Finally, the bits of the best NuFallout game start to get ported into the worst NuFallout game.
Hopefully they'll import a non-retarded story, a protagonist who could be considered a sentient being in the real world and normal dialogue tree over their piss poor version of the useless back when Bioware made it dialogue wheel.
Someone did fix the dialogue wheel glitch and restored it to how a Fallout game should do it's dialogue interface, unfortunately the Bethesda Virus is too deeply entrenched to give the actual writing anything more than the complexity of a hydrogen atom.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Willinium said:
I wonder what the Wild Wasteland trait will be? Perhaps making every enemy a legendary enemy?
My first thought that it would just give the Legenday enimies insane weapons. But then I remembered I killed a Legendary Gunner that had a frenzy causing rolling pin.

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
008Zulu said:
Willinium said:
My first thought that it would just give the Legenday enimies insane weapons. But then I remembered I killed a Legendary Gunner that had a frenzy causing rolling pin.
I finally ran into a good few rolls yesterday, I got a couple of Legendary .44 revolvers, One is good the other meh and a Furious Ripper which is. . . I don't know how to classify it yet.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
"Yes, 'streamlining'! That what we are doing!" *wink**wink* "Streamlining it for the masses! Yes. Yes."

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Merging skills with perks lost us nothing if you ask me. Through perks like heavy gunner, lockpick, hacker, beanballer, demolition expert, rifleman, commando and sneak, skills are alive and well and Special stats matter more.

Sure, you could potentially max out everything in Fallout 4, but that ability's just there for the especially insane people. I stop at about level 50.

As for the mod, I am intrigued, but the main places I wanted to increase my character expression were in dialogue and outfits, the former of which is something only Bethesda can help with in a way which doesn't feel fake. More armour slots is a mod which is helping in the latter department. Shame about the clipping, though.

Oh! Oh! Maybe Pyromaniac's in this mod!

vallorn said:
I'unno I thought it was pretty good. Yeah I miss being able to pry info out of NPCs, too and I don't like the idea of every one of my characters having to be a dad-of-the-year but look at the gunplay, the exploration, the enemy ai improvements, the game mechanics (crits rock this time!) and...I'm tellin' ya, it just works.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Too bad that its not enough to completely fix how much Bethesda effed up this one. Pity that they probably won't go back to the new vegas system. Everything felt awesome in that game

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
vallorn said:
Oh yes, I don't know how I lived without traits. I can't wait to find the two that are statistically better than all others by a county mile then forget the system exists! Yay for illusory choice.

OT: Um, cool I guess. Hopefully they balance the idea better than obsidian did.

Even if I don't personally think this mod is worth the time it would take to download, I am very surprised and happy to see what people are accomplishing even without the GECK. I can't wait to see what people do once we have official mod support, hopefully the Project Nevada guys knock it out of the park again.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
And I called it six months ago when I said that one of the first major mods Fallout 4 would have would be a return to the old perks/traits system.

I can imagine we'll get a good old fashioned perks system once Bethesda releases the creator kit