World Video Game Hall of Fame Nominations are Open Now

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
World Video Game Hall of Fame Nominations are Open Now

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/925/925502.jpg

Nominations for the World Video Game Hall of Fame are being accepted now.

Last year, the Strong National Museum of Play, located in Rochester, NY, established the World Video Game Hall of Fame to honor and celebrate individual games across a variety of platforms, including arcade, console, handheld, computer, and mobile. In a ceremony in June, The Strong announced its inaugural class of inductees [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141031-World-Video-Game-Hall-of-Fame-Gets-First-Six-Inductees]: Pong, Pac-Man, Tetris, Super Mario Bros., DOOM, and World of Warcraft.

In a press release today, The Strong revealed that public nominations for the 2016 class are now open, and will remain open until February 29. Finalists will be announced in late March, with inductees revealed at a ceremony on May 5.

In order to be considered for the Hall of Fame, games must meet the following criteria:

Icon-status the game is widely recognized and remembered
Longevity - the game is more than a passing fad and has enjoyed popularity over time
Geographical reach - the game meets the above criteria across international boundaries
Influence - the game has exerted significant influence on the design and development of other games, on other forms of entertainment, or on popular culture and society in general.

A game can be considered on the basis of influence without having met the other criteria. Games that were finalists last year, but did not make the cut, include Angry Birds, FIFA, The Legend of Zelda, Minecraft, The Oregon Trail, Pokemon, The Sims, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Space Invaders.

Have a game you would like to nominate? You can do that here [http://www.worldvideogamehalloffame.org/nominate].

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
How in the world did Zelda not make it?? Bah!...seems a bit of a redundant ceremony, but whateverz, i'll play along if only to fix this glaring oversight.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Is it that time already? I've submitted a nomination and hope that in a few months there will be a more robust lineup of Hall of Fame titles. There are a lot of gaps that are just waiting to be filled after all.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
GTA III and Metal Gear Solid need to be up there.

Both changed games in ways not anticipated before, and everyone in the gaming community knows of their impact.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Lizzy Finnegan said:
A game can be considered on the basis of influence without having met the other criteria. Games that were finalists last year, but did not make the cut, include Angry Birds, FIFA, The Legend of Zelda, Minecraft, The Oregon Trail, Pokemon, The Sims, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Space Invaders.
Okay seriously what was FIFA during on that list? I understand the rest of the choices but why the FIFA?

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Nominated Final Fantasy VI like a good fan should. VII may get all the press, but VI is the best FF game hands down.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Well, Undertale obviously. It is teh gretist game evurr.

In seriousness, Street Fighter 2 is to Fighting games what Super Mario is to platformers, or WoW to MMO's. It is the standard and baseline virtually every fighting game before and after it is, and should be, compared to. Definitely deserves my vote, even if I don't really care for it. Kinda feel either Silent Hill 1 or 2 should be up there as well. Are we allowed multiple votes?

...and, if I may be fully biased, Persona 4. It really doesn't fill all the criteria as far as I'm aware, but goddamn I want it there. It deserves it for being so good.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I nominate Counter-strike. I played it since the beta 5 was released back in 1999. Now everybody knows counter-strike. Maybe not as much as Mario or Street-Fighter or whatever, but hear me out.

Considering it's lifetime, and the relative graphics/engine/physics/balancing evolution, the base game still remains pretty much unchanged. In fact, the most popular maps still remain the ones available since beta. If you compare other games that garnered huge attention, they have all evolved a lot more in order to keep things fresh and people interested. Counter-strike didn't really have to do anything.

Ok, I'm sure other worthy contenders based on my argument would be World of Warcraft / DOTA, but I didn't throw away nearly as many hours of my life into those so they don't get my vote.

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
Zelda and Sonic aren't in there already? How the fuck did that happen?

I guess for argument's sake if people still think Link is Zelda it's not popular enough. I mean, you don't see anyone looking at Mario and Bowser and wondering which is one of these "Bros."

Metal Gear and Final Fantasy, particularly 1/3 and 6/7 respectively probably deserve to be in there as well. But again for argument's sake people still mix up Big Boss and Solid Snake on a regular basis I find.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Tomb Raider and Monkey Island are both pretty obvious candidates, and Elite is a pretty shocking omission. Other puzzle games that spring to mind would be King's Quest, Zork and Myst - and I also agree that Street Fighter certainly belongs on the list

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
tf2godz said:
Lizzy Finnegan said:
Okay seriously what was FIFA during on that list? I understand the rest of the choices but why the FIFA?
FIFA is one of the best selling game series ever and is considered by many to be the gold-standard for video game sports games.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Seriously?

Last year, the Strong National Museum of Play, located in Rochester, NY, established the World Video Game Hall of Fame to honor and celebrate individual games across a variety of platforms, including arcade, console, handheld, computer, and mobile. get press attention and market itself.
FTFY

Remember the Walk of Game [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk_of_Game] ? Soon enough you won't remember this either.