Ashes of the Singularity Hits Public Beta

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Ashes of the Singularity Hits Public Beta

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1263/1263082.png

Strategy experts Stardock have released the public beta to its upcoming grand strategy RTS Ashes of the Singularity.

Strategy players are familiar with Stardock's titles, such as Galactic Civilizations and Sins of a Solar Empire. But Stardock and developer Oxide Games are ramping up the scale with the upcoming grand strategy title Ashes of the Singularity, which has just entered public beta.

"Our goal with Ashes of the Singularity is to help introduce a new generation of gamers to real-time strategy games," said Stardock CEO Brad Wardell. "We want to make a game where players can invite their friends in and be up and playing relatively quickly without a lengthy explanation about how to play."

The game is available through Early Access now on GOG [http://store.steampowered.com/app/228880/]. The beta includes two playable races (humans and Substrate), and offers ranked multiplayer play, skirmish mode and multicore single-player AI. The game also natively supports DirectX 12.

If you choose to jump into the beta, we've posted a Walkthrough [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166019-Ashes-of-the-Singularity-Beta-Walkthrough], along with some tips on how to play.

Beta 2 is expected to come out next month, with final release due out later this spring.

[gallery=5545]

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Put me down under "cautiously optimistic". Those screens look like the worthy successor to Supreme Commander that Planetary Annihilation totally failed to be, but I have been burned by promising RTS's before so I'll be waiting for non-EA launch and reveiws.

Sep 9, 2007
major_chaos said:
Put me down under "cautiously optimistic". Those screens look like the worthy successor to Supreme Commander that Planetary Annihilation totally failed to be, but I have been burned by promising RTS's before so I'll be waiting for non-EA launch and reveiws.
I haven't played the beta yet, but the alpha showed promise. A few things could've been explained better (for example, how to upgrade your logisitics (unit cap) and storage (Which is all covered in the walkthrough linked in the article), but the pathfinding isn't horrible and there was a decent mix of unit types, without going overboard.