"Unprecedented Demand" For The Division Beta Impacts Waitlisted Users

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
"Unprecedented Demand" For The Division Beta Impacts Waitlisted Users

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1256/1256876.png

Ubisoft has issued an update on their forums regarding the beta for The Division.

In an update on its forums today [http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1380457-An-update-to-Beta-Access?p=11328031], Ubisoft assured eager players that it is working on granting access to everyone who registered for the beta using pre-order codes. The post then goes on to address those who did not pre-order, opting instead to be placed on the waiting list,

"We are continuing to experience very high demand for The Division closed beta and we would like to thank you all for your enthusiasm," the post reads. "We are now beginning to grant access to all remaining players who have redeemed a guaranteed access pre-order code on the Beta registration website. We're also doing our best to grant access to players on the waitlist. Please check back later during the weekend for an update on this. We thank you again for your excitement and understanding."

In a blog post on Friday [http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.com/game/en-US/news/152-236848-16/an-update-on-the-division-beta-access], Ubisoft wrote that the "unprecedented demand" for the beta has made it impossible for access to be guaranteed to users who signed up for the waitlist. While Ubisoft hopes to get as many people as possible involved, it also warns that space will be "severely limited for the rest of the beta testing phase due to high demand."

The beta for The Division launched January 28 for Xbox One users, and January 29 for players using PC and PlayStation 4. The game is slated to release for all three platforms on March 8.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Not that I don't believe them, but unprecedented demand?! Really?! For a generic team shooter?!

I mean I'm sure it's perfectly functional, but I haven't seen much in the way of excitement let alone to an unprecedented level.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Maybe I'm the dumb one but why is this more complicated than "They pre-ordered the game, here's your code"?

This seems like a very simple fix...

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
tippy2k2 said:
Maybe I'm the dumb one but why is this more complicated than "They pre-ordered the game, here's your code"?

This seems like a very simple fix...
The only thing I can possibly think of is that the servers weren't equipped for such a high demand or were having issues, which seems to be sadly common nowadays. Granted these are preordered, so they should have been able to have a good idea just how many people would be trying to get on and account for that.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Dominic Crossman said:
Translation: Thanks for the completely unnecessary preorders suckers. Don't worry we'll let you on... eventually
More like "if you play the demo you will cancel your pre order and blow all our pre rendered trailers and hype." Funny thing is I got in without pre ordering

Robeltu

Sep 19, 2012
I've played the beta and it is pretty good, servers are always full and the pvp is top notch. Not being prepared is the point of a beta because if this happened at launch it would be a much bigger deal.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Well, you can preorder on Amazon, get your code and then cancel your order so I'd imagine they're just delaying until transactions go through but aren't admitting it.

CrimsonBlack

Mar 10, 2011
SecondPrize said:
Well, you can preorder on Amazon, get your code and then cancel your order so I'd imagine they're just delaying until transactions go through but aren't admitting it.
Given that Amazon wouldn't charge those who've preordered it for a MARCH delivery until closer to the time, Ubi trying to keep pre-orders this way is daft.

I'm in two minds as to whether to cancel my pre-order. On the plus side, the game is solid if not groundbreaking, beautifully animated, and the audio is great; plus most of my xbox friends will probably be getting it when it releases and it'd be nice to join in with them. It has a very serviceable progression system that unfortunately the beta didn't allow anyone to explore AT ALL (traits, perks, actual skills, signature skills, crafting system etc).

On the minus side, I just got so... bored. I admit there wasn't much to do in the beta - probably to push everyone into the dark zone, which was nice enough, but I didn't spend much time in it as I don't want to put effort into getting good gear on a character that will be deleted anyway. Mobs in the beta are few and far between and I spent sooooo much time just running about the place. Plus I'm wondering about the morality of supporting a publisher via pre-ordering - I've been burned before (Arkham Knight on PC, I'm looking at YOU), and I'd rather publishers released games on their own merit and not through pushing pre-orders.

I've taken the "beta" as what it was - a DEMO, not a beta. I couldn't find any mechanism to report bugs in-game, for example (maybe I missed it?), and for some reason I couldn't post on the beta forums either: Ubi straight-up wasn't looking for my feedback directly, but simply using me and thousands of others to stress-test their servers, and look at preliminary numbers. That said, I didn't actually encounter many bugs, so it's pretty polished already in my opinion. As a demo, it does wet my appetite a bit. I can see how it could turn into a very good team-based strategic shooter in difficult missions or raids, but if it fucking pulls another Destiny (the beta was excellent - and look how monotonous Destiny turned out to be!), then I'll be glad I would have waited for reviews.