Jon Bernthal Says His Punisher Is "Completely Unapologetic"

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Jon Bernthal Says His Punisher Is "Completely Unapologetic"

Jon Bernthal believes fans will hate his version of Punisher within two episodes of Daredevil Season 2 - and that's the entire point.

Daredevil Season 2 is arriving on Netflix in just over a month, which is reason enough to be excited. But this season will also introduce Jon Bernthal's Punisher, easily one of the most anticipated Marvel Cinematic Universe additions in some time. That said, Bernthal has warned that his version of Punisher isn't one audiences will like at first. In fact, this Frank Castle is so "completely unapologetic" that most viewers will probably despise him by the second episode.

"I think the way he's introduced ... you can lose the audience by Episode Two," Bernthal told CBR. "They could just be like, 'No matter what happens with this man before we know anything about him, his actions in Episode One and Two, I can't get behind. In this day and age with everything that's going on, I can't get behind this man.'"

Introducing Punisher as an unlikable character certainly lines up with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165679-Daredevil-Season-2-Photo-Reveals-Jon-Bernthals-Netflix-Punisher#&gid=gallery_5272&pid=1>Daredevil showrunner Doug Petrie's previous comments. The tricky part, however, will be the rest of Punisher's story arc, which looks at what brought Frank Castle to this point. "I love that because then my goal, and the team's goal, is to win them back and explain it," Bernthal continues. "And whether you can get behind him or not, you sure will understand him. You'll understand why he's doing what he's doing. Then, I think if we're lucky and if done well ... we'll force the audience to ask questions about themselves, about their own behavior, about the world."

[gallery=5560]

Sadly, Bernthal couldn't share many other details, including which specific comic book Punisher he'll be adapting. (Although he does admit Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX resonated with him personally.) Either way, it absolutely implies Daredevil Season 2 will deal in the moral ambiguities which made Punisher such a compelling character. We'll find out for ourselves when it premieres on March 18, 2016.

Source: <a href=http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/daredevils-jon-bernthal-says-his-punisher-completely-unapologetic>Comic Book Resources

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
As opposed to the normally apologetic punisher?

*shoots a guy*
Punisher: "Sorry"
*shoots another guy*
Punisher: "Ah, shit"

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Fox12 said:

*shoots a guy*
*shoots another guy*
That would be Canadian Punisher.

*shoots guy*
Punisher: Stop dealing heroin, eh?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Fanghawk said:
Fox12 said:

*shoots a guy*
*shoots another guy*

*shoots guy*
Canadian Punisher would be awesome to see though, since he'd have to find more interesting ways to kill people then just "shoot them in the face".

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I hope I won't hate him... He was my first comic exposure. I loved the Punisher, and I liked Thomas Jane as him, as well.

spartenX

Oct 2, 2009
Zontar said:
Fanghawk said:
Fox12 said:

*shoots a guy*
*shoots another guy*

*shoots guy*
Canadian Punisher would be awesome to see though, since he'd have to find more interesting ways to kill people then just "shoot them in the face".
I can see it now, hockey sticks with skating blades attached, Tim Hortons coffee heated up enough so it causes Fourth degree burns, knives made to look like the CN tower, attack polar bears.....someone make this a thing now!

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Zontar said:
Fanghawk said:
Fox12 said:

*shoots a guy*
*shoots another guy*

*shoots guy*
Does Wolverine or Deadpool suffice

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I wonder if this means his version of the Punisher won't care about civilian causalities and kill innocents if they get in his way.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
PapaGreg096 said:
Zontar said:
Fanghawk said:
Fox12 said:

*shoots a guy*
*shoots another guy*

*shoots guy*
Does Wolverine or Deadpool suffice
Boo, I vote for Captain Canada

Eh?

I would watch the shit out of captain canada.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Fox12 said:
*shoots a guy*
*shoots another guy*
Didn't that happen to Daredevil? Yep.

Also found this image while searching for the above.

What the goddamn hell Marv?

OT: I like the Punisher but I like him better as a Rorschach, someone we wanna see do what we keep saying butaren't meant to root for. Hope Jon isn't talking out of his ass for this one.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
I mean, The Punisher is a complete bastard of a hero. He's only even a hero because the people he fights are generally worse than he is. If he isn't unlikable, I'd say they've done something wrong.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Zontar said:
Fanghawk said:
Fox12 said:

*shoots a guy*
*shoots another guy*

*shoots guy*
Drowning people in maple syrup?

OT: They did a good job with making me hate Killgrave in Jessica Jones, feel sorry for him, like him, then hate him again so I certainly believe they can pull this off.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
As long as he doesn't kill a dog or start a monologue about god and his faith, then there's literally nothing his character can do that would make me dislike him.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
People don't remember 90s cartoon Punisher or Archie Punisher in this thread. Yes there's plenty of ways to attempt to soften the character that lead to awful, awful hilarity.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
ron1n said:
As long as he doesn't kill a dog or start a monologue about god and his faith, then there's literally nothing his character can do that would make me dislike him.
Your demands for unliking someone are pretty exact :D
How about if someone rambles on about their beliefs and kills a dog?
Does those two then cancel each other out, so that is a likeable person?

On Topic
I think I am going to like this character, only because they told me I shouldn't :p

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Bat Vader said:
I wonder if this means his version of the Punisher won't care about civilian causalities and kill innocents if they get in his way.
Maybe it will just make him extremely pragmatic. Like if he's rigged a building to explode that has dozens of mobsters in it and one innocent person, he'll still blow the building, with his justification being that killing those dozens of mobsters saved lots of lives, and was worth the price of one innocent person dying.

Or he'll be unapologetic towards criminals no matter the circumstances. He'll still "punish" a guy who was stealing money to feed his family, or something along those lines.

Mar 26, 2008
The Punisher IS supposed to be unapologetic, that's what makes him who he is. The line that he won't cross is far removed from the line other superheroes adhere to.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Guffe said:
Your demands for unliking someone are pretty exact :D
How about if someone rambles on about their beliefs and kills a dog?
Does those two then cancel each other out, so that is a likeable person?
No...no they are not lol

He won't do either of those things though so it's all good.