New Nintendo Rewards Program to Start in March

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
New Nintendo Rewards Program to Start in March

The "My Nintendo" rewards program will fill the void left by Club Nintendo.

Club Nintendo, the old loyalty program for Nintendo products during an investor meeting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141422-Club-Nintendo-Closes-Today], Nintendo has detailed exactly how "My Nintendo," the replacement loyalty program, will work.

First up, My Nintendo will launch in 39 countries (including the US and Canada) this March. Nintendo aims to increase Nintendo accounts to 100 million by doing so. The new loyalty program will let users earn coins in the traditional way: by redeeming games to their accounts, but also by playing games, and using Nintendo smartphone or PC apps.

[gallery=5596]

There will also be two different types of coins: platinum and gold. From the looks of things, platinum coins will be used for the old Club Nintendo-type stuff: physical rewards and other original goods, while the gold coins will be used for deals: savings on purchasing games.

Nintendo also mentioned that Miitomo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/miitomo?os=%20miitomo], its first smartphone app will begin pre-registration on February 17, with the app rolling out across 16 countries (also including the US and Canada) in 8 different languages in March.

Source: IGN [https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/160203/04.html]

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
They better treat all countries the same, all I could get from the old program was stickers and book marks etc. Others could get statues and game downloads etc.

As long as they treat everyone as equal as they can, this could be good.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Maybe this time I will reap the award from the start. That way I can get the bigger and cooler rewards they offer!

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
They're still douchebags.

They could have found a way to let us carry over our coins from nintendo purchases in Club Nintendo. Instead, all the games I've bought count for nothing.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
FoolKiller said:
They're still douchebags.

They could have found a way to let us carry over our coins from nintendo purchases in Club Nintendo. Instead, all the games I've bought count for nothing.
It would have been better to let Club credit transfer over, but why didn't you redeem it beforehand? They did give fair warning.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
They better treat all countries the same, all I could get from the old program was stickers and book marks etc. Others could get statues and game downloads etc.

As long as they treat everyone as equal as they can, this could be good.
In Australia, our purchases will require 20% more coins because of the Australia Tax [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Tax].

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
So...Gold's pretty much that Wii U digital deal they had for the first two years of its lifespan? That's not that bad actually. Though I am admittedly more interested in the other prizes because I know Nintendo is trying to give non-gaming rewards like amusement park tickets and movie tickets as well. From the sound of things, it looks like that would fall under Gold but you never know.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Not bad. The rewards from the old club Nintendo were actually pretty nice. The last thing I was able to get was this Majora's Mask 3D messenger bag;

I really wanted some of the Smash 4 posters they had, but they were all sold out of the good ones.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I REALLY hope coins don't expire in the new rewards program. Under the old system, you were "encouraged" to sit on your old games until you had enough coins to get a prize you wanted, and had to hope that your games didn't become in-eligible in the interim. I could understand a gamestop-esque system where they zero out if you don't add more every so often, but resetting every year was donkey balls.