For The Hardest Hardcore Gamer - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
For The Hardest Hardcore Gamer - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

The G502 Proteus Spectrum is a study, solid mouse with a plethora of customization options, although the software that supports it is a little clumsy.

Read Full Article

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Thank you for the review!

How does it handle SPS - Sweaty Palm Syndrome? Some mice have the surface area treated to repel moisture while others break up the surface to allow evaporation.

The sharp edges on the buttons, I ran into this for another mouse I have, it is sorta ok but I wonder why not round the edges some? It looks cool and technical but it feels uncomfortable to me.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Jburton9 said:
Thank you for the review!

How does it handle SPS - Sweaty Palm Syndrome? Some mice have the surface area treated to repel moisture while others break up the surface to allow evaporation.

The sharp edges on the buttons, I ran into this for another mouse I have, it is sorta ok but I wonder why not round the edges some? It looks cool and technical but it feels uncomfortable to me.
I have the previous version G502, it appears the only appreciable difference in the new one is the ability to control the LED colors. I have to say it handles sweat well, I can't notice much difference holding it with a sweatier palm. Most of the buttons aren't really sharp in my experienced, they may look that way in pictures at first glance but they're actually pretty well rounded or contoured, it probably wouldn't bother you.

The only complaint I have with the mouse is that the scroll wheel feels kinda clunky, I did prefer the smoother scrolling on my old Razer Taipan, but it is a trade off because you can switch to a free-rolling mode, and the side buttons, both of which Razer doesn't have.

Unless desktop fashion is really important to you and you really want to be able to change the LED color, I would probably just snatch up some of last year's models for a lot cheaper.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
Well i have the previous model and i will be the first to attest that the software is utterly borked for most of the service life of the mouse it did not play well with my G110 which is logitech also
also i do not have any issues at all with the button placement the 2 main left and right click are super long so you can have your hand almost anywhere and still give them a good click and the rest are placed in a good place so that i don't accidentally click them and the "sniper button" is incredibly useful even though i often avoid shooters the image is deceptive the buttons have rounded edges except right at the front points but that's not likely to be an issue unless you have elf fingers
keeping the mouse clean can be an issue my hands drop dirt like a paparazzi site and the mouse is a sealed unit with little access to clean the dirt out of the cracks and getting it off the sift rubber with out scraping it off is difficult the braided cord looks nice but picks up dust like a Dyson i donot get sweaty hands (im not a deviant :p) so i cannot adress that question one way or another
all in all its a good solid mouse with some issues mostly on the software side

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
hentropy said:
I have the previous version G502, it appears the only appreciable difference in the new one is the ability to control the LED colors. I have to say it handles sweat well, I can't notice much difference holding it with a sweatier palm. Most of the buttons aren't really sharp in my experienced, they may look that way in pictures at first glance but they're actually pretty well rounded or contoured, it probably wouldn't bother you.

The only complaint I have with the mouse is that the scroll wheel feels kinda clunky, I did prefer the smoother scrolling on my old Razer Taipan, but it is a trade off because you can switch to a free-rolling mode, and the side buttons, both of which Razer doesn't have.

Unless desktop fashion is really important to you and you really want to be able to change the LED color, I would probably just snatch up some of last year's models for a lot cheaper.
I also have the previous model (the G502 Proteus Core). It's the best mouse I've used in a long while, and I go through a ton of them, thanks to reviews, gift guides, and the like.

Strangely, one of my favorite features is the scroll wheel. It's metal, so it feels more sturdy than the rubbery wheels most mice use. I also liked the button that lets you toggle the incremental scrolling, so you can scroll super fast when needed.

I also have had absolutely zero issues with the software, and I really appreciate the ability to tune the mouse to different surfaces. The effect of doing so isn't huge, but you can definitely tell the difference between the default settings and a tuned surface.

All in all, it's just really solid.