Mirror's Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Announced for PC, PS4, Xbox One

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Mirror's Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Announced for PC, PS4, Xbox One

Want a test run?

Earlier this week, the official Twitter account for Mirror's Edge here [https://twitter.com/mirrorsedge/status/694218679140159488]. Dates and details have not yet been announced, but there's a story trailer to hold you over.

"Faith Connors is a self-assured thrill-seeker and one of the best Runners in the city of Glass. But Faith's carefree days are numbered," the video description reads. "As she crosses paths with the evil Gabriel Kruger and the city's oppressive Conglomerate, Faith finds herself running for something far more important. Playing Mirror's Edge Catalyst, you'll experience a rich storyline with a heroine-to-be fighting for both the city and herself. Use the fluid movement and your combat skills to be the Catalyst of change."

Mirror's Edge Catalyst is slated to release worldwide on May 24 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/mirrorsedge/status/695293131076538368]

Apr 28, 2008
Why does this game need a closed beta? Why does this closed beta need a persistent online connection? Why is the trailer full of expensive drama, booming orchestras, and explosions? Where's the jumping around on clean rooftops and fun soundtrack the original had?

Do... do I really want to know the answers to these questions?

Well, at least she doesn't have a gun.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
You aren't having my details, EA. I know you'll just sell 'em off to any old haggler like all the other guys. And why a Beta? Do they mean "a demo" again?
Oh wait, you probably already have my details. Still not confirming them though!

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Uh, Escapist, I think you put the new Mass Effect trailer on your page by mistake... No? THAT's Mirrors Edge? -_-

Bindal

May 14, 2012
How about you just call it what it is? A DEMO. Even if it is from an non-final build, it is a Demo. It's not a Beta in any form.
None of the EA Betas are actually Betas, let's be honest. Hell most of these aren't. Blizzard does them properly (mostly) and I would even call "The Diversion" at least a Stress-test beta (plus the lack of anti-cheat allows them to get an easy grasp on the more common ways of cheating that would happen in their game, even if that probably was not intended) even if not a proper one.

But this is a SINGLE-PLAYER GAME. It does not need a 3-Day-Beta.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Aaaaaaaand signed up. The last game I have any hype for is COMING! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

...I'm going to be so ticked if I get in. My craptop won't even be able to run it. xD

saluraropicrusa

undercover bird
Feb 22, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Aaaaaaaand signed up. The last game I have any hype for is COMING! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

...I'm going to be so ticked if I get in. My craptop won't even be able to run it. xD
it's nice to see at least one other person still excited for this game! i haven't watched the trailer but i'd rather judge the game by playing it (and hopefully i'll get into that beta/demo/whatever you wanna call it).

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I'm seriously considering signing up for this. I still have mirror's edge installed on all of my computers (and the dlc map pack is the only dlc I've ever bought as a separate thing).

It's just, is it a remake, a spiritual successor, a pre/sequel, etc? I am happy the cutscenes won't be in flash this time around, but I wish the environments were still so clean, crisp, and excessively color coordinated.

To hell with it, I'll sign up. I don't actually have origin on my pc, and it'll be removed immediately after the beta. But damn if I wouldn't like to try this out.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
saluraropicrusa said:
lacktheknack said:

it's nice to see at least one other person still excited for this game! i haven't watched the trailer but i'd rather judge the game by playing it (and hopefully i'll get into that beta/demo/whatever you wanna call it).
im excited as well. i just hope i will have the chance to play the beta, sorry...demo, because i just moved last week and and i have to order a tower that should come hopefully next week on friday. otherwise the week after. the older tower was falling apart and was very old too. i have my parts here but no tower. lol.
anyway, im certainly ready for it and i hope it will be the day i have my pc up and running again. even when the trailer looked more over dramatic but certainly more thought was put in to the story than the previous one.
swo yes, im still hyped.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
Irridium said:
Why does this game need a closed beta? Why does this closed beta need a persistent online connection?
The biggest complaint that the original game got, and largely why it didn't sell well, is that the learning curve on the gameplay was too high. Now, I can't possibly speak for EA, but it seems like a closed beta with metrics being sent back to the development team would really help them hammer that out.

Apr 28, 2008
grigjd3 said:
Irridium said:
Why does this game need a closed beta? Why does this closed beta need a persistent online connection?
The biggest complaint that the original game got, and largely why it didn't sell well, is that the learning curve on the gameplay was too high. Now, I can't possibly speak for EA, but it seems like a closed beta with metrics being sent back to the development team would really help them hammer that out.
But... it sold as well as Dead Space. Both games broke 1 million copies sold around the same time. Why is Dead Space considered a success while Mirror's Edge considered unsuccessful when they sold roughly equally?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Irridium said:
grigjd3 said:
Irridium said:
But... it sold as well as Dead Space. Both games broke 1 million copies sold around the same time. Why is Dead Space considered a success while Mirror's Edge considered unsuccessful when they sold roughly equally?
Did they cost the same to make? 'Cause if ME was the more expensive title, selling the same number of copies doesn't mean they made a profit.

Regarding the learning curve too high comment, I dunno, I didn't have any issue with it. I mean, the game gave you plenty of free time at the start to just run around and practice, and it had the time trials to further practice as well, without any issue of people shooting at you. So, yeah, I don't really see this. The big complaint I always saw was "First Person Parkour is haaaard! " and "It's making me motion sick!" I've never really bought the first statement, as it's no different than any other game that has you platforming in first person. Hell ME at least lets you see your feet, so you can judge distances easier. Most games, you're just a floating set of eyeballs with no idea of your actual placement on the map.

The second reason I can appreciate more. Vertigo issues are just a problem for some people. Like me with 3D glasses. I get serious eye strain and headaches if I wear them. So I just avoid 3D movies on that reason alone. So if the game just makes you sick, well, not much to do about that, other than to not play it.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
Irridium said:
So, again, I can't possibly say what EA's motivations are, but it was clear that Deadspace was never in doubt about receiving a sequel and that Mirror's Edge was. That is, several years passed where EA consistently said there would be no sequel for Mirror's Edge. However, if you're looking for baseless speculation, I can offer several thoughts:

1. sexism? The industry has been more willing to stick to games with men in them.

2. relative budget? Maybe Mirror's Edge cost a lot more to produce.

3. review scores? Both games came out when the industry put a lot of focus on metacritic and Mirror's Edge scored under 85 (81) while Dead Space scored over (86).

4. timing of the sales? I don't know the numbers on this but perhaps Dead Space gathered most of it's sales earlier when it was closer to full price. I know that I bought my copy of Mirror's Edge for five bucks on steam.

5. reality vs expectations? EA predicted Mirror's Edge would sell 3 million but only got to 2.5 million in the long term, 3/5 of those sales were in year 2+. Perhaps EA expected more of Mirror's Edge and thus were more willing to consider it a failure.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Holy shit, did she pull an Obi-Wan Kenobi and grab a fucking drone and use it to alter her direction of parkour off a wall!? That, wow, I don't really know why, but I find that really fucking awesome. Damn I want this game now. xD I wanted it pretty bad already, but now I want it even more.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
The game & vibe looks great - the STORY on the other side, raises a lot of reason for concern - A LOT!

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
Irridium said:
grigjd3 said:
Irridium said:
Did they cost the same to make? 'Cause if ME was the more expensive title, selling the same number of copies doesn't mean they made a profit.

Regarding the learning curve too high comment, I dunno, I didn't have any issue with it. I mean, the game gave you plenty of free time at the start to just run around and practice, and it had the time trials to further practice as well, without any issue of people shooting at you. So, yeah, I don't really see this. The big complaint I always saw was "First Person Parkour is haaaard! " and "It's making me motion sick!" I've never really bought the first statement, as it's no different than any other game that has you platforming in first person. Hell ME at least lets you see your feet, so you can judge distances easier. Most games, you're just a floating set of eyeballs with no idea of your actual placement on the map.

The second reason I can appreciate more. Vertigo issues are just a problem for some people. Like me with 3D glasses. I get serious eye strain and headaches if I wear them. So I just avoid 3D movies on that reason alone. So if the game just makes you sick, well, not much to do about that, other than to not play it.
my view as well.

i never had issues with what to do. it told me what to press and i did it. sure, it maybe didnt work out the first time like the running up the wall, 180` turn and grab the ledge, is something i failed several times but otherwise it was straight up forward and she does the rest automatically. and i played it on pc with M&K. no issues what so ever.
last few months ago, i played with a controller just for fun to see how i do, and surprisingly i manage it pretty well. and i usually suck big time with a controller. i failed more of course since im not used to play FPS titles with a controller but i still managed the training and several levels as well.
but, i stick still with M&K. just easier for to play.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Irridium said:
Why is the trailer full of expensive drama, booming orchestras, and explosions?
Explosion. Singular. There was one explosion.

I'll grant you that the drama could have been dialed back a bit though.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Looks like ME:C will have even more in common with ME than I thought - a medicore story :)

I love ME, I signed up, I hope this is good, but it's probably just a play to get people to install Origin.

I'm glad they're doing a "beta" for PS4 and Xbone - lots of my IRL friends bought ME on consoles and either only played it a day and gave up because they died a lot and it was too hard (yes really) or they bought for 5 bucks used and never got around to playing it.

I just hope the idea of it becomes relevant again, as I think it's a brilliant game (despite the writing) and nothing feels better than speedrunning it, hence why it's one of the few games I install on all new PCs - it looks great and is a fun little benchmark, on top of actually being pretty alright.