Artist Recreates Star Wars in Calvin & Hobbes Style

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Artist Recreates Star Wars in Calvin & Hobbes Style

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1273/1273125.jpg

Imagine Kylo Ren as Calvin in Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes world. Yep, artist Brian Kesinger has done that, with some fairly humorous results.

Kylo Ren is a petulant little boy who just wants to have fun and let his imagination run wild. At least that's what we get when artist Brian Kesinger melds Star Wars: The Force Awakens with the Calvin and Hobbes style.

Kesinger, who has done work for Disney Animation and Marvel Comics, has quite a portfolio [https://www.instagram.com/briankesinger/] of art and mashups, from Star Wars and Winnie the Pooh, to Guardians of the Galaxy meets Disney. All are fun to look at, but seeing Kylo Ren as Calvin really seems to fit.

"I was initially inspired by the scene where Rey sleds down the dune of Jakku, but as I continued to draw them I found a lot of similarities between Kylo and Calvin," Kesinger told us. "The relationship between him and his parents is a great source of humor."

Kesinger said that the fans have really responded to the art as well. "Both Star Wars and Calvin and Hobbes are nostalgic for a lot of people, myself included. I think that is why the blending of the two properties really resonates."

[gallery=5648]

Check out the gallery and let us know what you think, then be sure to head on over to Kesinger's Instagram page [https://www.instagram.com/briankesinger/] to peruse his other work.

Source: Instagram [https://www.instagram.com/briankesinger/]. Reprinted with permission.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Genius. Sheer genius.

Fun fact; all the images you see are inspired by actual Calvin and Hobbes strips, book covers and promotional art. I should know, I owned all the books as a kid.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I remember seeing some of them on Tumblr, the rest I haven't seen are great!

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Heh, I can recognize which pages inspired each of these, awesome.

Also, wow, I really want an actual book of these now. These are masterfully done.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I saw one of these before. This is hilarious work. I love it.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
I really hope the guy gets to release a book like this, I know I'd buy it.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Wow, these are really good.

i mean usually I would be meh, but this made me smile. Calvin and Hobbes was a big part of my childhood.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Bill Watterson would be sick if he saw these. A large part of his work was rebelling and mocking the very principles upon which star wars is founded.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
These are both funny and adorable. I want these to be officially made. Come on, Disney. Make it happen!

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
crepesack said:
Bill Watterson would be sick if he saw these. A large part of his work was rebelling and mocking the very principles upon which star wars is founded.
Like what? What Watterson was sick of was being pressured ALL THE TIME to merchandise Calvin and Hobbes.