Bitcoin Payment May be Coming to Steam

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Bitcoin Payment May be Coming to Steam

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1274/1274167.jpg
Some new translation strings in Steam's latest update suggests that bitcoin payment is coming soon.

Steam may be getting a new way to pay: with everyone's favorite cryptocurrency: Bitcoin. Some reddit detectives [https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/44sgnm/bitcoins_in_steam_coming_soon/] have discovered a suite of strings in Steam's official translation server pointing to bitcoin related payment.

Here are some of the relevant strings in full:

bitcoin_authorization_explanation
Bitcoin transactions are authorized through the BitPay website. Click the button below to open a new web browser to initiate the transaction.
bitcoin_payment_tips_header
Tips for Bitcoin customers
bitcoin_payment_tips_text
This process can take up to 60 seconds. To avoid purchasing failures, please do not hit your back button or close the bitpay window before the process is complete.

Users have pointed out that by using the third party BitCoin converter BitPay (as the strings wold suggest) is zero risk for Valve compared to running a node and implementing the Bitcoin receiving internally, as they can convert and receive it all in USD automatically.

While we don't have official confirmation from Valve yet, it certainly seems like bitcoin payment is on the way.

Source: reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/44sgnm/bitcoins_in_steam_coming_soon/]

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
How about Valve does something about the hordes of scammers and highjacked accounts before introducing a payment system renowned for anonymity.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Seems odd for the digital currency that everyone has long forgotten about to be accepted now given the fact that, well, everyone has forgotten about it.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Bitcoin? Haven't heard anything about THAT for some time.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Rad Party God said:
No love for Dogecoin?

I'll never for the life of me understand how the whole "doge" meme got so popular. I'd be much quicker at understanding all of quantum physics.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Hooray ... I guess? I'm rather apathetic towards this since I don't have any Bitcoins left after spending them all on drugs perfectly legal things that people use Bitcoins for.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Johnson McGee said:
How about Valve does something about the hordes of scammers and highjacked accounts before introducing a payment system renowned for anonymity.
Valve has implemented a number of stumbling blocks for scammers - Steam Guard, repeated reminders to never give your account info to people even if they claim to be Steam staff, email verification for trades... what's left that non-morons can still get suckered by? Genuine question.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
Johnson McGee said:
How about fixing customer support? I think it's time to end automated responses that come months sometimes years late and to wrong issue.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Steve the Pocket said:
Johnson McGee said:
Valve has implemented a number of stumbling blocks for scammers - Steam Guard, repeated reminders to never give your account info to people even if they claim to be Steam staff, email verification for trades... what's left that non-morons can still get suckered by? Genuine question.

Except the Steam Guard authenticator and the phone app itself is an absolute train wreck.

My favourite bit was the bit where the Steam app on my phone crashed entirely, then after rebooting the app and trying to log back in it demanded I give it an authentication code that could only be gotten by already being logged into the app in the first place. I had to reset everything and turn the damn thing off to recover my account.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
I wonder if they're actually going to instantly convert all bitcoins into US Dollars, as suggested in the article, or if Valve is going to sit on them instead. If they did the latter, it sounds like they could quickly become a major holder of bitcoins...which would probably be a silly idea, unless they're looking to get into the speculation game.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Rad Party God said:
No love for Dogecoin?
Can you do more than craft card packs with it? Because that'd make it better than gems already.

Johnson McGee said:
I was thinking that'd be rather nice. I mean, it's their company to run as they see fit, but as a wise man once said, "Oh, for fuuuuuck's SAAAAAAAAAKE!"

Plus Greenlight.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
I actually thought Bitcoin was even more dead than before now?

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
SKBPinkie said:
I'll never for the life of me understand how the whole "doge" meme got so popular. I'd be much quicker at understanding all of quantum physics.
Somehow, it's one of the only memes that get me to smile on a consistent basis. Something in my lizard brain just adores it.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
A bitcoin is still worth over $350, recently on a rise in value from ~$200 in 2015. It's not really dead at all.

Nobuoa Schniell

Jan 23, 2012
A lot of people who never had an interest in bitcoin and thus never even looked into using it decide it's dead because they don't hear about it much. Riiiiiight...

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Kotoriii said:
Around 50-60 million USD are transacted in Bitcoin every day. It is far from dead.
Of course, the question is how much of those are transfers of value and how many are just shuffling things around.

Zero are transfers of value because bitcoin is garbage hohohoho.

But seriously the useless thing wastes electricity to back a system that only works when people don't collude for their own benefit and is inferior to central databases in all possible ways in any real use case. This combined with the transaction limit (and even if you could "fix" it it would balloon in size forever) makes bitcoin one of the worst examples of people trying to force a square peg into a round hole.