9 Phobias You'll Encounter in Layers of Fear

Nick Monroe

Oct 8, 2015
9 Phobias You'll Encounter in Layers of Fear

The true power of fear is tapping into what a person's anxieties are, and what fills them with dread.

Read Full Article

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
You seem to have forgotten a rather big one in the game: musophobia, the fear of mice/rats. :p

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
My bugbear is fear of depths, particularly deep water: bathophobia. The most fear I've experienced in a recent game was in Fallout 4 crossing the deep channel between Fort Strong and The Castle underwater in power armor. I don't think there was any real risk to my character, but I was as scared as I can remember ever being in a video game.

I've never gotten the same effect from any other game, even one that takes place underwater (Bioshock, Hydrophobia).

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I've got minor homophobia when it comes to horror games - fear of things staying the same.

Change, dang it.

I know you're going to get worse somehow, so do it already.

DANGIT.

Scariest parts of a Silent Hill game are the protracted sections of everything being "comparatively normal".

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Wow. Seems this game does try to cover what it can. Am hoping to personally add to the basket of delights though in the future, there are images that i see that i probably should draw at some point, but the thought of putting it into a more permanent form worries me. Also, is it ethical to share your personal horrors to others? I create more serene and abstract stuff i guess in an attempt to counter these problems. Maybe embracing them is better? I don't know. Musn't ramble. Oops.

OT: Enochlophobia - the fear of crowds. Sort of related to social anxiety, perhaps harder to render into a horror game though.

I cannot find a name for this one, but it is a strong personal fear that occurs now and then in short busts, which is the fear of a huge cataclysmic event. Such us the Earth ripping in half/apart, a black hole appearing near enough to devour us, a planet on planet crash or being swung out of the sun's orbit. The nightmares are terrifying. Yet there is no easy way to describe or portray this particular form of helplessness in any media that i know of yet.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
And now I shall coin and give someone an entirely new Phobia

lacktheknack said:
I've got minor homophobia...
exosymfrazophobia - Fear of being taken out of context ;)

lacktheknack said:
...when it comes to horror games - fear of things staying the same.

Change, dang it.

I know you're going to get worse somehow, so do it already.

DANGIT.

Scariest parts of a Silent Hill game are the protracted sections of everything being "comparatively normal".
From what I've seen from Markipliers play through of the early game, it's got some pretty unique visuals, but ya, they all seem to follow the same beats. It's got a very Amnesia: The Dark Decent feel to it.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Wow. Clowns and Dolls? In a Horror? Wow. I don't know what to say. It's just such a great and underutilized concept in horror that I'm left speechless. I can only wonder what other completely imaginative shockers will be present in this game.

Fear of the dark?

Fear of really big spiders?

Fear of something making a really loud noise when you weren't expecting it?

Nothing generic at all from this list, no sir.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
EyeReaper said:
Wow. Clowns and Dolls? In a Horror? Wow. I don't know what to say. It's just such a great and underutilized concept in horror that I'm left speechless. I can only wonder what other completely imaginative shockers will be present in this game.

Fear of the dark?

Fear of really big spiders?

Fear of something making a really loud noise when you weren't expecting it?

Nothing generic at all from this list, no sir.
Yeah, hence why Lizzy Finnegan's press kit blurb kind of leaves me skeptical. Jim Sterling played an early build of this and it pretty much was a gallery of overused clich?s wrapped in a shiny coat of Victorian Gothic. There's more to creating an oppressive atmosphere than just checking phobias off the list.

Who am I kidding, though? This'll still be hot YouTube fodder and the devs are pretty much guaranteed to make at least *some* cash.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
OMG I had this exact idea for a video game! If I was any game designer this would be one of the ones I would have made. I shall think about getting it if it gets good reviews!

My idea only involved about 6 phobias (mostly the big ones like spiders, snakes, darkness, dogs, confined spaces and clowns) with some funny 'phobias' added as secret levels. It was to be a puzzle game where you have to face your fears and solve puzzles involving interacting with any and all objects in the environment.