Waiting for Warcraft 4? Try this Warcraft 3-in-StarCraft 2 Mod

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Waiting for Warcraft 4? Try this Warcraft 3-in-StarCraft 2 Mod

Warcraft: Armies of Azeroth brings Warcraft 3 into StarCraft 2, as is free now on the StarCraft 2 Arcade.

It seems that fans of the original Warcraft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/warcraft?os=%20warcraft] strategy games (remember those?), who have been waiting patiently for Warcraft 4 may have a little reprieve in the form of an amazing StarCraft 2 mod. Warcraft: Armies of Azeroth, which is now available for free in the SC2 arcade, brings Warcraft 3 into StarCraft 2, with revamped graphics and additional features.

Today marks the launch of the mod's alpha, which only contains the "Turtle Rock" map, but the developers claim that more maps will be added rapidly. Some of the key new features of the remake include:

Better graphics engine
New models of units, heroes, buildings, doodads and etc.
Opportunity for modmakers to create their own mods and maps in Warcraft style
Better control system and interface

[gallery=5708]

Additionally, players need only the free StarCraft 2: Starter Edition [https://us.battle.net/account/sc2/starter-edition/] to play, which effectively means that you can now play Warcraft 3 for free.

Source: ModDB [http://www.moddb.com/mods/waa-mod/news/warcraft-armies-of-azeroth-alpha-arcade-launch]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Seems like it's multiplayer only (hopefully only for now). I wonder why it's only Blizzard and Blizzard related news that seems to be the only one to make me go from Happy to Sad in 1.5 seconds.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
WaCraft 4? Me thinks you are missing an "r" there good sir.

On topic, this mod looks interesting and I'm definitely going to give it a try.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Y'know, I don't think anyone can accuse Warcraft fans of being "patient" for WCIV. Not that I can blame them. :)

That said, controversy time, as much as I'd love to see WC4, I don't think it should follow the WC3 model. Much as I love the game, there's probably too much overlap with MOBAs given the focus on hero units. On the flipside, I think HotS is a nice glimpse at a potential graphical style for WCIV.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Lol, this is funny. When I was active in the Warcraft 3 mapping community (12 years ago now!), everyone always used to complain about how far away Starcraft II was, and make plans for mods that would recreate Starcraft in Warcraft 3.

It's the cirrrrrcle of life....

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Lol, this is funny. When I was active in the Warcraft 3 mapping community (12 years ago now!), everyone always used to complain about how far away Starcraft II was, and make plans for mods that would recreate Starcraft in Warcraft 3.

It's the cirrrrrcle of life....
When StarCraft II first appeared on the planet,
When it first stepped into the sun.
The legions of fans, all under the skies,
Asked, "when will Warcraft IV be done?"

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
While impressive, it does make me wonder why they don't just pull out their old Warcraft 3 dics from the closet and reinstall those instead. Hell, I've done that twice now.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Steven Bogos said:
Additionally, players need only the free Starcraft 2: Starter Edition [https://us.battle.net/account/sc2/starter-edition/] to play, which effectively means that you can now play WarCraft 3 for free.
So the campaign is done and included!?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Anyone that's waiting for WCIV is due to be disappointed. Considering how WoW has completely fucked up any semblence of a stable story line for the RTS to continue from, I highly doubt we'll be seeing another RTS. WoW will end with an expansion allowing players to take on Sargaeras (spelling), and after that: the franchise known as WarCraft will cease to be.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Anyone that's waiting for WCIV is due to be disappointed. Considering how WoW has completely fucked up any semblence of a stable story line for the RTS to continue from, I highly doubt we'll be seeing another RTS. WoW will end with an expansion allowing players to take on Sargaeras (spelling), and after that: the franchise known as WarCraft will cease to be.
Oh, in a few years after that we'll get a terrible attempt at a reboot, cashing in on nostalgia and with not much else to recommend it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
thaluikhain said:
RJ 17 said:
Oh, in a few years after that we'll get a terrible attempt at a reboot, cashing in on nostalgia and with not much else to recommend it.
You're probably right about that, actually. And I bet the reboot will be going off the movie's modified story line since, apparently, the movie will feature the story "as it was always meant to be." >.>

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
RJ 17 said:
thaluikhain said:
RJ 17 said:
You're probably right about that, actually. And I bet the reboot will be going off the movie's modified story line since, apparently, the movie will feature the story "as it was always meant to be." >.>
Well, if the movie is a hit, blah blah "wider audience" blah blah "mainstream" they'd almost have to do it that way.

Random Gamer

Sep 8, 2014
TakerFoxx said:
While impressive, it does make me wonder why they don't just pull out their old Warcraft 3 dics from the closet and reinstall those instead. Hell, I've done that twice now.
Why reinstall the game? I mean, it implies it was actually uninstalled at some point :p Nonsense for any self-respecting gamer. and RTS fan

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Random Gamer said:
TakerFoxx said:
Why reinstall the game? I mean, it implies it was actually uninstalled at some point :p Nonsense for any self-respecting gamer. and RTS fan
Well, the first time I had bought a new laptop and the second time was because I had needed to reformat it due to some hardware issues. Both times I got the Warcraft jones after a few months.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Hawki said:
Y'know, I don't think anyone can accuse Warcraft fans of being "patient" for WCIV. Not that I can blame them. :)

That said, controversy time, as much as I'd love to see WC4, I don't think it should follow the WC3 model. Much as I love the game, there's probably too much overlap with MOBAs given the focus on hero units. On the flipside, I think HotS is a nice glimpse at a potential graphical style for WCIV.
Personally, I love hero-focused strategy games and am not all too fond of MOBAs due to their focus on competitive multiplayer. I want more single-player games that use that style, because there aren't practically any right now.

On the topic here, though, I wonder if they're intending on pulling a "Mass Recall" and putting in all of the campaigns, or are they just going to put in maps and hero units and the mechanics? Because there's already a mod for Starcraft II called "Warcraft: Alliance and Horde" that puts in Warcraft maps and units (though I haven't really been able to get it working lately and I'm not sure if that's a problem on my end or the game's).

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
This all well and good. But I don't think anything will beat Warcraft 2000. Where they gave the alliance and horde nuclear weapons.