Fans Are Petitioning to Have Deadpool Host Saturday Night Live

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Fans Are Petitioning to Have Deadpool Host Saturday Night Live

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1280/1280107.png

Hey, it can't be any worse than the Ronda Rousey episode, right?

In what I'm guessing is a first for Lorne Michaels and the Saturday Night Live crew, fans of the mega smash Marvel flick Deadpool are petitioning to have a fictional character host an episode, or at least, for Ryan Reynolds to host the show while in character.

The petition was started on Change.org [https://www.change.org/p/lorne-michaels-have-deadpool-host-saturday-night-live] by Deadpool fan Andrew Stege, who presented a pretty strong (if grammatically unsound) case for why the merc with the mouth would make a suitable SNL host.

"We've all seen the trailers, the magazine covers, the viral videos, and the billboards by now, so what's left for Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds) to do?" asked Stege.

"HOST SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE AS DEADPOOL!!!!"

How would this not be hilarious having Deadpool in sketches, breaking the 4th wall, and inserting some of his brand of humor (obviously toned down a bit for network television)!?!?! I have not watched a full episode of SNL in years because I just haven't been able to stomach an entire episode, but having Deadpool host, star, and be all over the episode would get the DVR set so I can watch it again and again!!! Not to mention, depending on the musical guest, how awesome would it be to have some Deadpool interpretive dancing while the musical guest was playing? There's unlimited possibilities!!!

Sign this petition in hopes that it'll find it's way to the 'powers that be' and get that idea churning in their heads! Bring Deadpool to host SNL!!!

As of this write-up, the petition is currently standing strong with over 35,000 signatures, and even @midnight and Talking Dead host Chris Hardwick has taken to Twitter to support it. Given Deadpool's record-breaking success at the box office over the weekend, one would imagine that Ryan Reynolds -- who hosted the show as his plain old self back in 2009 -- would be on the short list of actors that the show would want to have on.

While the idea of seeing him donning Deadpool's signature red tights in addition to the costumes and wigs he would be wearing as part for the sketches themselves is a rather hilarious prospect, I'd be willing to settle for a Reynolds-hosted episode that at least features a Deadpool sketch or two. Any other takers?

Source: Change.org [https://www.change.org/p/lorne-michaels-have-deadpool-host-saturday-night-live]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
You can't really do 4th wall jokes, when most of the SNL comedy comes from the fact of "Hey look, its Jennifer Lawrence making fun of Hunger Games."
Its almost all already 4th wall/satire jokes. And Deadpool wouldn't work in a self aware 4th wall skit, that then breaks a second 4th wall(8th wall?) to comment on him commenting on this already self aware skit.

It'd be like an episode of MST3K that watched an another MST3K episode and made fun of the jokes making fun of the Giant Spider Invasion. It'd be just too much noise and chaos.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'd much rather Deadpool host than Ryan Reynolds. No offense to Ryan, but I would just love to have Deadpool interjecting his own humor for the entire episode. Plus, it seems like that would be an appropriate "fuck you" to the guys at Fox who decided to sew his mouth shut in Wolverine Origins.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Deadpool is fucking everywhere already. Please no.

I am interested in seeing the movie (I do actually like the character), but I already hated most Deadpool fans. The movie's only made things worse.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
It could work if the SNL cast and writers had a really open mind about things. Do all the usual and regular skits and have Deadpool come out essentially to mock them. He'd be there to flamboyantly point out how the Californians one joke wasn't funny the first 500 times, or when the punchline to a news segment is just laughing at right wing stupidity without making a joke, or how a championing that a skit's joke may actually be poking fun of someone with a developmental disability.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
It would make me watch SNL.

Thing is they might need the Deadpool writers to pull it off well.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Silentpony said:
And Deadpool wouldn't work in a self aware 4th wall skit, that then breaks a second 4th wall(8th wall?) to comment on him commenting on this already self aware skit.
Well, spoiler:

He makes the same joke in the movie and calculates it to 16'th wall breaking

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
You'd need Tina Fey back for that episode (if only because usually when she's there the writers do a better job).

Toss in Justin Timberlake and Christopher Walkin....with Deadpool just showing up randomly here and there, and it could rock.

Also, have one of the news bits be about the Deadpool movie, but halfway through it, have the picture up on the screen of deadpool, turn and start talking about how great his movie is doing.

Oh yeah, and have hugh jackman make a cameo as well.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I take it the signatures are from the people who haven't seen the movie, or are too dense and blinded by actually having a Deadpool movie to realize it was rubbish.

Then again, the promotion, marketing, and sketches promoting the movie were basically like SNL bits, so I would suppose it could work out well.

Synigma

Dec 24, 2014
There would be great potential for something like this... but let's face it, the writers would screw it up. And that's before you even count in the censorship for being on broadcast tv.

How about a comedy central roast with other superheroes or something? Then again that would probably cost too much money to get all those actors in one place...

Short of HBO buying SNL and replacing the writers... ya, it wouldn't live up to expectations. :(