8 Pokemon Inspired by Real World Mythology

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
8 Pokemon Inspired by Real World Mythology

These 8 fictional creatures have roots in real life mythology.

Read Full Article

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I guess Giratina and "Satan" was too obvious to mention for this list?

I hope that one day they'll make pokemon based off of Godzilla and the other kaijus in his universe.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Ninetales is also one.
Based on some nine tailed fox who could change its form into a woman to lure men or something similar... I believe there even was an episode about it?

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
CrazyCapnMorgan said:

I hope that one day they'll make pokemon based off of Godzilla and the other kaijus in his universe.
Considering the dimension he lives in and his difficult to describe appearance, I always thought Giratina was Cthulhu.

And Tyranitar is rather Godzilla-ish.

Agree with chupacabra-mon, but we also need a Bigfoot Pokemon. Is there a full-fledged giant squid Pokemon yet? Tentacruel doesn't count, that's a jellyfish.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Jan 5, 2011
Xpwn3ntial said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:

Considering the dimension he lives in and his difficult to describe appearance, I always thought Giratina was Cthulhu.

Agree with chupacabra-mon, but we also need a Bigfoot Pokemon. Is there a full-fledged giant squid Pokemon yet? Tentacruel doesn't count, that's a jellyfish.
If you look at either of Giratina's two forms, he'll have 6 of something at 3 places. Three sixes. I don't think I need to explain that reference. However...

You can see he has 6 spikes on his neck, 6 spikes where his legs would be and 6 "tentacles" to try to qualify as wings. All of these are 3 on either side.

It's roughly the same as his origin, except the tentacles are now wings with 3 spikes on either side and his spikes are now legs, again 3 on either side.

As to the Bigfoot and squid pokemon...

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Xpwn3ntial said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:

If you look at either of Giratina's two forms, he'll have 6 of something at 3 places. Three sixes. I don't think I need to explain that reference. However...

You can see he has 6 spikes on his neck, 6 spikes where his legs would be and 6 "tentacles" to try to qualify as wings. All of these are 3 on either side.

It's roughly the same as his origin, except the tentacles are now wings with 3 spikes on either side and his spikes are now legs, again 3 on either side.

As to the Bigfoot and squid pokemon...

Huh. Never noticed that (though origin form has 8 spikes on his body). Interesting... Though the distortion world still has more in common with R'lyeh than the center of the Earth/Hell.

I suppose an abominable snowman is close enough to bigfoot, but octillery is neither large nor squidley enough to be a giant squid.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Jan 5, 2011
Xpwn3ntial said:
...but octillery is neither large nor squidley enough to be a giant squid.
Then, my friend, I wish you luck and adventure on your quest to find your Squidley Do-Right.

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
The legendary trinity of the Ruby/S/E , Groundon, Kyorge and Rayquaza. It's modeled after the ancient 3 beasts of hebrew legend. Leviathan, Behemoth and Ziz. Rayuaza always takes elements from Aztec god Quetzalcoat. I'm sure there's tons of other mythlogy homages in pokemon besides these though. ( like Houndoom looks like a hellhound or cerberus.) It's a natural source for geek culture to spawn from as comics borrow them from alot as well.