Hideo Kojima's New Game Will be "Big" and "Edgy"

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Hideo Kojima's New Game Will be "Big" and "Edgy"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1280/1280411.jpg

Also: "A lot of freedom."

In an interview with timed PS4 exclusive [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hideo-kojima-interview-the-dawn-of-a-new-era/1100-6434913/]. Despite thoughts that he would first work on a small movie, he ultimately decided to go big with a game, wanting to work on an "edgy" project with "a lot of freedom."

When asked if he was more interested in creating a game with a strong narrative or strong gameplay, Kojima responded with "both."

"Both, because people expect both from me," Kojima said. "I want to do something that gives a lot of freedom and interactivity. Like I did in the past, I want to make something that has a very strong, dramatic story. That's what people want from me and that's what I want to do. It would be so much easier if I could give priority to one or the other, but people expect both from me. At this point, it would be easier to make a linear game, but that's not..."

He continued: "It's risky, because we're just starting up, so it probably would be better to go with something smaller-scale, maybe linear, but Sony is supporting us to make a big game that's edgy with a strong story that gives the player a lot of freedom, with new elements, and I don't know if that's possible. But we'll see."

Kojima stated that he's not sure if the new game will be a series or not, but he does want something that will make a big enough impact that it could become a series. Kojima previously stated [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165531-Kojima-Productions-May-Create-More-Than-Just-Games] that he was open to moving beyond video games, and reiterated that point in this interview, saying "By impact, I mean from the things that are unique to the game, the characters, and the world. This impact can lead into something outside of games, such as anime, manga, figures; something that is rich enough to expand."

The interview is great, and you can check it out in full here [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hideo-kojima-interview-the-dawn-of-a-new-era/1100-6434913/]. Spoiler alert: His kids don't like his beard.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I fear we won't see any hint of this until 2020. It took forever just to get anything out of Phantom Pain, and even then, it technically wasn't finished. Kojima is a man who dreams very, very big. And sometimes, it doesn't quite work out fully in the end. I can't argue that the results he does come up with are often amazing, but if he proclaims that his next project will be "big" and "edgy" I fear the budget may be astronomical, and might be hard to profit from it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm eager to see what Kojima can do unfettered, but this project will either be a beautiful masterpiece, or a complete disaster. I doubt it will be somewhere in between. And... given game development time, I wonder if the PS4 is even going to be relevant by the time this project is released, maybe shoot for the PS5.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh man!

A Hideo Kojima wrestling game! Which is perfect because professional wrestling is right at Kojima's writing ability.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Revnak said:
I hope by "big" and "edgy" he means "giant robots" and "fucking swords, literally everywhere."
I think you misspelled "Metal Gear Rising 2" :p

OT: Really interested to see what he comes up with, I remember back when Mighty Number 9 was still the big thing, I was a little confused to see that, rather then bringing out some kind of passion product or something, Inafune basically went back to making the exact same kinda game he was making back at Capcom.
I mean, the Kickstarter was a success and all that, but we could have gotten something new and interesting like Dead Rising instead of Megaman with the serial numbers filed off.

Here's hoping Kojima manages to find success in either case.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Diablo1099 said:
Revnak said:
I hope by "big" and "edgy" he means "giant robots" and "fucking swords, literally everywhere."
Who won't misspell Metal Gear Rising 2, given that they'll be contractually obligated to come up with a sillier subtitle than "Revengence."

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
Silentpony said:
Oh man!

A Hideo Kojima wrestling game! Which is perfect because professional wrestling is right at Kojima's writing ability.
Oh no...don't tell me that all the Homo-erotic content from the Metal Gear series is going to take on it's truest form?!

...Confession time: I would totally play the shit out of that.
Seriously, Colonel Volgin Vs. Senator Armstrong in a Hardcore Match throwing tanks and missiles at each other?
I would actually forgive Konami for all their BS if they actually pulled that off.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
Revnak said:
Who won't misspell Metal Gear Rising 2, given that they'll be contractually obligated to come up with a sillier subtitle than "Revengence."
So long as they bring back that sweet ass combat engine, they can abuse the english language whatever way they want.
And if they do make that game: I want Dual Wielding in Blade Mode.
I don't know how it would work but we need to find out soon because we owe it to future generations to make that happen.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Revnak said:
Diablo1099 said:
Revnak said:
Metal Gear Rising 2: Deathstruction

OT: I just want to see some of that kojima creativity again
gimme some Snatcher or policenauts era kojimbo and I'll be happy
especially with all the hinting they're doing about kojima, del toro and reedus

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'm half expecting the game to be named Quiet Mountain.

Seriously, Kojima and del Toro making a horror game for PS4 would almost guarantee sales and advertisement. Imagine how many game sites and magazines would be talking about Kojima and del Toro making a spiritual successor to Silent Hills. That would be worth millions in advertising alone.

Otherwise, I just want Kojima to give us something he wants to make. The guy is one of the most influential people in gaming and he was spent decades being coerced into making Metal Gear even after he was trying to retire it. And still continued to make great games.

I really want him to work on something he is truly passionate about.

Also, he looks fine with a beard.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
If there's one thing Hideo Kojima needs to stop doing right now, it's making his games more edgy...

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
If I get a game with an absurd premise, swords, scantily clad women, and a lot of edge. I'll buy it day one for sixty bucks, cause that sounds like my kind of game!

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Wow, what a detailed breakdown of his next game.
But I think he might be delving into specifics a little too early. I need to know more of the broad concepts and ideas like: Will I have to press buttons, will it have gameplay, a story? Those are the kinda things that really turn me off.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Will it also be an incoherently written mash-up of paranoid conspiracy theories with 45 minute cutscenes full of redundant dialogue? Or have you officially kicked Metal Gear Solid out of your system?

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
ravenshrike said:
Squilookle said:
If there's one thing Hideo Kojima needs to stop doing right now, it's making his games more edgy...
If he makes the games any more edgy he'll cut the pixels.
Coming Soon:

Metal Gear Solid 6- a timed Playstation exclusive. Timed Playstation One exclusive, that is...

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
It's a new Hideo Kojima game: that in itself is already worthy of excitement, not gonna lie.

Godspeed, and hopefully we get something mindblowing.