Fallout 4 is Getting (Official) Mod Support in April

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Fallout 4 is Getting (Official) Mod Support in April

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1282/1282671.jpg
Mod support will come to the PC version of Fallout 4 this April, with console support to follow some time later.

There are already a bunch of Fallout 4 mods out in the wild: some are random cool things [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/galleryoftheday/14987-8-Fallout-4-Mods-for-Early-Adopters]. Despite this, Fallout 4's official mod creation kit, the G.E.C.K, still has not been released. That's all set to change in just a few short months, as Bethesda's Todd Howard has announced that mod tools will hit the PC version of FO4 this April.

"[Mod Support] will go up at that time on PC. In April," said Howard in an interview with Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/02/22/todd-howard-discusses-fallout-4-dlc-mods-amp-survival-mode.aspx]. He added that there would be some "lag" between the PC and console release of the mod tools, stating that "It'll probably be a good month before it hits Xbox One, and another month for PlayStation 4."

Considering the caliber and quality of mods that are already out there, I'm really excited to see what the modding community can dream up once official mod support hits.

In his interview, Howard also talked about the game's upcoming free "Survival Mode" update. "Survival mode has a lot of changes that can be pretty dramatic. Once we get it honed where it's working well enough, we're going to put it on Steam beta for a while. 'Here it is. Start playing it. Give us feedback.' It's far easier to update and iterate on [PC]. Once we settle on it, then we'll release it for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One."

While Howard said that it wouldn't be "months and months" before we see Survival Mode, he neglected to offer any sort of release window.

You can read Howard's full interview DLC content [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/02/22/todd-howard-discusses-fallout-4-dlc-mods-amp-survival-mode.aspx].

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/02/22/todd-howard-discusses-fallout-4-dlc-mods-amp-survival-mode.aspx]

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Brutal delay, but I'm glad it's coming eventually! Hopefully we can see some more weapon mods and new levels here in the future.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
It's about damn time

can't wait to see what they come up with

hopefully, so good custom Power Armor ^^

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Out of curiosity has there been an announcement of an official mod channel for Xbone and PS4. Like, what your supposed to do, where your supposed to go and how exactly you download and apply the mods to your console game?

I myself own a PS4 and this is one of the first games to actually have mod support on a Sony console, so I have no idea what to do.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I don't like how the PC has become the Beta testing ground for Consoles, or the PC games are (sometimes) just shoddy ports of console games.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Dreadman75 said:
Out of curiosity has there been an announcement of an official mod channel for Xbone and PS4. Like, what your supposed to do, where your supposed to go and how exactly you download and apply the mods to your console game?

I myself own a PS4 and this is one of the first games to actually have mod support on a Sony console, so I have no idea what to do.
I wonder if it will be like applying mods to Unreal Tournament 3 on the PS3. You needed the mods in specifically named, user created folders. You could then go in game and scan that folder for the mods to apply them.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
The timing of this is no coincidence. Two out of the three DLCs will have already been released by the time the GECK is released.

The first two DLCs add rudimentary things like craftable robots, and additional settlement structures (such as a fighting arena). If the GECK was released too soon, modders would beat Bethesda to the punch on these new features, thereby rendering the DLCs unnecessary.

So yeah, it's a tactical release schedule.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Dreadman75 said:
Agreed. Although I'm a bit more interested to know how many and what kind of mods will he made availible to consoles. If it's entirely dependant on the mod makers then we can only hope that at least some of them will be nice and not a bunch of uptight douchebags who detest the idea of console gamers being able to finally enjoy mods.

Julianos_Valentinus

Mar 23, 2013
Oh well, when the modding tools get released the official DLC won't even matter that much. I'm sure the mods will add more and better things. For free! (Unless they want to try that route of paid mods again. Maybe for the consoles?)

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Julianos_Valentinus said:
Oh well, when the modding tools get released the official DLC won't even matter that much. I'm sure the mods will add more and better things. For free! (Unless they want to try that route of paid mods again. Maybe for the consoles?)
Paid mods by themselves were not a bad idea.

Just the whole, mods that used to be free are now paid for, you can steal someone work, you can get paid for using copyrighted material you do not have permission for, and no garentee the mod will work or be there tomorrow. Was the issue.

If they cover all those things, I have no problem supporting what is basically outsourced DLC.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Dreadman75 said:

This is something I'd like to hear about as well. The tools will probably have a 'cook' option (Unreal Tournament 3 did this, when you 'cooked'/compiled/packaged etc. the mod, you basically had the options of PC or PS3. You then got the file to distribute as you wish), so that will probably be a simple process. I imagine that Bethesda will have a validation process for mods on console, things like making sure it runs well or doesn't fuck up and cause the game to crash, and will then probably add a mod-browser into the game (again, like UT3 did later in its life).