Spider-Man Forms A Key "Relationship" In Captain America: Civil War

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Spider-Man Forms A Key "Relationship" In Captain America: Civil War

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1287/1287505.jpgWhile he's not in the trailers yet, Spider-Man will have a potentially crucial role to play in Captain America: Civil War.

We're getting ever closer to Captain America: Civil War's release date, with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165168-Captain-America-Civil-War-Gets-First-Trailer>all the tense superhero combat it entails. What we haven't heard about, however, is what role Tom Holland's Spider-Man will have in the story. Given Spider-Man's prominence in the Civil War comic book, it should be fairly important. Now Empire Magazine has published a barebones description of Spider-Man's presence, backed by Civil War co-director Joe Russo himself.

According to Empire's latest issue, Spider-Man "comes in after the battle lines have been drawn and forms a relationship with one character who the Russos, for now, won't identify". The most likely candidate for this relationship is Tony Stark, Peter Parker's employer during the Civil War series. Stark even equipped Parker with an Iron Spider-Man costume, although we're not likely to see that in the film's runtime.

That's not to say Marvel's Civil War movie won't change the formula - it's already dropped the original Superhero Registration Act, after all. Spider-Man could just as easily ally with Captain America, Nick Fury, or Vision for all we know. My personal hope is he'll consider the whole conflict pointless, and try to break up that Cap vs. Iron Man battle from the trailers. Which is certainly something Peter Parker would do.

Still, given how excited fans are for the MCU Spider-Man, you can expect he'll leave an impression. "Tom's unbelievable," Joe Russo said. "We're very excited to present our version of Spider-Man to the world."

[gallery=5826]

Source: GamesRadar

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Well, to set the record strait. Peter Parker started on the pro-registration side, then after seeing what Stark was doing, switched sides. So, either way is technically within the realms of the original story.

Also, the only reason it dropped the superhero registration act was because there is no XMen in the MCU. They probably could have gotten away with it still after the events of Age of Ultron, though that clearly was a deep influence on the story.

I just can't really wait for this. Out of all of them, I think Captain America is the only movies that (so far) have gotten better as they go on.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Baresark said:
Well, to set the record strait. Peter Parker started on the pro-registration side, then after seeing what Stark was doing, switched sides. So, either way is technically within the realms of the original story.

Also, the only reason it dropped the superhero registration act was because there is no XMen in the MCU. They probably could have gotten away with it still after the events of Age of Ultron, though that clearly was a deep influence on the story.

I just can't really wait for this. Out of all of them, I think Captain America is the only movies that (so far) have gotten better as they go on.
Why X-Men? Mutants were exempted from the act thanks to a deal between Iron Man and Emma Frost. Only mutants who interfered were treated differently.

I'd say Marvel dropped the Superhero Registration Act because barely anyone has a secret identity in the MCU, rendering the whole anonymous vigilante problem meaningless. I think Daredevil is the only hero with an alter ego in the entire universe.

Not that the movie won't have hero legislation, but it's origins and procedures will be tweaked.

Trooper924

Oct 20, 2011
Come on, stop teasing us and show us MCU Spider-man already! I've waited years for this!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Fanghawk said:
Baresark said:

Why X-Men? Mutants were exempted from the act thanks to a deal between Iron Man and Emma Frost. Only mutants who interfered were treated differently.

I'd say Marvel dropped the Superhero Registration Act because barely anyone has a secret identity in the MCU, rendering the whole anonymous vigilante problem meaningless. I think Daredevil is the only hero with an alter ego in the entire universe.

Not that the movie won't have hero legislation, but it's origins and procedures will be tweaked.
It was the incident withe New Mutants that lead to it inception. But, you are right, there is basically no secret identities in the MCU. Though, it seems with the introduction of Spiderman, we will see some MCU people with secret identities.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
Fanghawk said:
Baresark said:

Agreed. There's not many secret identities in the MCU, especially since Tony Stark blew his at the end of the first Iron Man. But Black Widow, Agent 13, Hawkeye, Hulk (presumably people know Hulk, not Banner), Ant Man (likely protecting Cassie), and now Spider Man have secret identities.
The MCU is also missing SHIELD in any official capacity. I wish they would axe the TV show, the name doesn't even apply anymore. Agent Carter is 100 times better show anyways. 3 seasons of SHIELD and it's the same plot every season: someone on the team is a double agent.

Bah. My distaste for Agents of SHIELD is another topic.

Maybe with Crossbones and Baron Zemo in the equation, it could be multiple factions trying to control Spider-Man. He could easily be tricked into siding with Zemo in trying to cure his condition while Zemo is actually trying to duplicate it and Cap and Iron Man disagree about blindly taking down a kid.
I doubt they'll go that path, but it seems likely it will be different from Spider-Man's central arc in the Civil War comic event.
However it plays out, I am thinking that the events of MCU Civil War are what convince Peter Parker to become Spider-Man. Maybe the ending is how Peter chooses a red and blue costume to honor Cap.\

The ending of the movie also seems like a logical way to bring back SHIELD. Passing a law to create a force to monitor superhumans, which SHIELD was doing already (and currently doing in the show, but they are concentrating on Inhumans) seems logical.
I think the end of the movie will reset a lot of the status quo.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm guessing Spider-man will become the voice of reason or get them to chill the fuck down.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Honestly, with "relationship" in quotes in the title, I was thinking Spider-man was going to bone somebody.

And there's always someone dressed as Cap at those rallies...[footnote]totes stole the idea for this joke from Nextwave[/footnote]