5 Ways Brain-Computer Interfaces Could Change The World - And Us

John Markley

Jun 29, 2015
5 Ways Brain-Computer Interfaces Could Change The World - And Us

Current experiments with brain-computer interfaces have allowed an amputee to "feel" with his prosthetic hand - what other wonders will we achieve with this technology?

Read Full Article

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
It's a much easier task to map the nerve impulse in the motor cortex than trying to decode higher brain functions. We haven't even to begun to map the temporal lobe to anything like the detail for conscious thoughts to be broken out of the noise.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Can't wait to get rid of this frail and mortal coil and finally achieve a more permanent body that won't fail just because some time has passed. The brain is a more delicate matter though. Simply replacing it wont transfer me, nor would a scanned copy do either.
I'll simply wait until femtobots can supplant one neuron at a time.

Captcha: "I'm not a robot"
Not yet I'm not. ,)

But you might become a human soon..or a fellow sapient at least.

John Markley

Jun 29, 2015
Albino Boo said:
It's a much easier task to map the nerve impulse in the motor cortex than trying to decode higher brain functions.
Oh, absolutely. Some of the mind-reading technology being worked on now works that way- it scans motor nerves involved in the production of speech, since it turns out that just thinking words can cause activity there.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
John Markley said:
Albino Boo said:
It's a much easier task to map the nerve impulse in the motor cortex than trying to decode higher brain functions.
Oh, absolutely. Some of the mind-reading technology being worked on now works that way- it scans motor nerves involved in the production of speech, since it turns out that just thinking words can cause activity there.
That's really interesting, I knew that start of movement impulses could be detected before the conscious thought to move but I didn't know that thinking and motor control were linked. I wonder if it would be possible to know what someone is going to say before they do. Thanks for the info and another interesting article